Any Squier fans here?

• Thread starter CR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
Could it be one of these or a variant of one?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Wide_Range

Although I've owned a large number of Strats over almost 50 years (including an actual "Hendrix Strat" a million years ago) I'm still not a Fender man, although I love the sound.

But this wiki sounds pretty much like what I'm experiencing with this, so maybe they re-made the old versions for these models?

If you're familiar with the Clapton song "Pretending" this sounds the most like that (along with my gadgets). Lots of overdrive and flange and it's perfect.

Last edited:

swamprock

Reaction score
Bought this 2004 Affinity for $60 as a mod mule. Other than being a little beat up, it plays nicely. The pickups are a bit too hot for me, so I'll be swapping them out, maybe putting a humbucker in the bridge. I'll be doing some rewiring and swapping of the electronics as well. I might also do a refinish at some point, as I'm not too fond of the color.

squier1.jpg

swamprock

Reaction score
White ... go white !

Depends on how it looks underneath the blue. I may go natural or dark walnut instead, or if it's really ugly, take the opportunity and do a real paint job rather than a stain. I've got no experience with painting, but have done a few stain jobs on guitars before :)

Edited for clarification.

gsmacleod

Reaction score
I'm with you - have had a bunch of Squiers and while my collection is much more limited now, I don't plan on getting rid of anything I have left in the stable:

'97 MIM Strat

'09 Classic Vibe 50's Tele

'13 Vintage Modified Tele Custom

Shane

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
:D

Mmmm! imagine just as a Title and in the post just say 'Who said this?' lol....I can't remember of the top of my head but wonder how different the replies would be if it was some famous guitarist compared to a anon contributor....

....to be honest though I kinda go there when I'm a little bored and post facts about guitars in threads where it's all make believe and 99% are either ignored and no likey likey....wonder why!

:D
To really get the full effect, go to the tonefreaks forum and start talking about tone capacitors.

I have one squier. It's a chinese made '99 strat in red with dual humbuckers. The stock pickups were total garbage, and the wiring job was done by a 5 year old in a hurry to get to recess. After ripping out the electronics and replacing them with GFS Vintage 59s (one of the most underated pickups on the planet) and tightening up the claw on the trem, and cleaning up the fret ends, it's now a great little player. It lives with heavy guage strings and gets detuned a lot.

Alty

Reaction score
To really get the full effect, go to the tonefreaks forum and start talking about tone capacitors.

I have one squier. It's a chinese made '99 strat in red with dual humbuckers. The stock pickups were total garbage, and the wiring job was done by a 5 year old in a hurry to get to recess. After ripping out the electronics and replacing them with GFS Vintage 59s (one of the most underated pickups on the planet) and tightening up the claw on the trem, and cleaning up the fret ends, it's now a great little player. It lives with heavy guage strings and gets detuned a lot.

:naughty: :D

Already done that I think Scott, oooops, posted a link to a test were someone (An electrical/electronics engineer) actually tested 90 capacitors and basically said - no difference - I posted it over there and someone replied with something along the lines of - It might be right but is wrong but he didn't know why it might/was wrong and couldn't offer any other technical test/s to prove otherwise - They are insane....

Did I mention the 'I want my pick-ups to hear the wood' one....let's not go there....:rofl:

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
:naughty: :D

Already done that I think Scott, oooops, posted a link to a test were someone (An electrical/electronics engineer) actually tested 90 capacitors and basically said - no difference - I posted it over there and someone replied with something along the lines of - It might be right but is wrong but he didn't know why it might/was wrong and couldn't offer any other technical test/s to prove otherwise - They are insane....

Did I mention the 'I want my pick-ups to hear the wood' one....let's not go there....:rofl:
There's also the "My hearing is better than a double blind test" crowd. Always good for a larf!

BGood

Reaction score
... (An electrical/electronics engineer) actually tested 90 capacitors and basically said - no difference ...
You mean no difference between brands ? Or values too ?

BGood

Reaction score
Different brands I knew, but values ? So a .001 cap is no different than a .047 ?
Interesting.

BGood

Reaction score
After reading through the article, values (capacitance) do make a difference in tone.
Ceramic can be microphonic, but won't change the tone. Polyester is the way to go, they are cheap and do a good job. Yougoslavian sardine oil in gold foil is no better.

IGRocker

Reaction score
After reading through the article, values (capacitance) do make a difference in tone.
Ceramic can be microphonic, but won't change the tone. Polyester is the way to go, they are cheap and do a good job. Yougoslavian sardine oil in gold foil is no better.

I was about to say, values make a difference, but the type/style does not; i.e. ceramic vs pio. As long as they have the same rating they will sound the same

Alty

Reaction score
"A common value for a tone capacitor in guitars is 0.022 microfarads, or 0.022uF as an abbreviation. A larger value that rolls off high frequencies to a greater degree is 0.1uF. There are many values used in the wide range of guitars on the market, but the tests here focus on these two values. The principles learned apply to other values as well."

Anyone got any/seen links to independant testing regarding different values?

BGood

Reaction score
That's what it says. "A larger value ... rolls off high frequencies to a greater degree". There it is, different tone as in less treble.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Look up David Collin's testing on youtube where he switches out various caps. different values have very obvious effects on tone as you roll back the tone know. Different types of the same value do not.

gsmacleod

Reaction score
There's also the "My hearing is better than a double blind test" crowd. Always good for a larf!

I had a couple of audiophile friends A/B a flac file with an mp3. Despite claiming they could easily tell the difference, a quick test in foobar showed they could not.

Shane

IGRocker

Reaction score
That's what it says. "A larger value ... rolls off high frequencies to a greater degree". There it is, different tone as in less treble.

Agreed, but only different tone when the tone control is lower than 10

Latest posts