Anybody here prefer the 1990s-2019 headstock shape over the new 2020s???

• Thread starter Sonny Wolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Imerkat

Reaction score
I think the new headstocks are a good way for Gibson to reinvent the wheel (Epiphone) with out much work. It's also a little like Monkey's paw when you get exactly what you asked for yet it's not what you wanted.

I'm a fan of Gibson Models having Gibson headstock. I'm actually not a fan of this headstock on Gibson models because it's more of an Epiphone Original model:
g0psve9m4vyjwe2hwori.jpg

People who thinks it looks bad probably haven't seen it in real life. The deep headstock angle makes it look odd on photos but it total works imo:
klxsvnufclgdiebs7oac.jpg

driver8

Reaction score
I have no problem with the previous headstock shape, and I think the new one is fine. :)

Samiam_Grnxnhm

Reaction score
I liked the previous headstock, yes. For the new one, I was hoping for a narrower shape to create straighter string pull, but alas it was not to be.

Attachments

• Gibson headstock narrow.jpg
    Gibson headstock narrow.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 8

Sneaks

Reaction score
I perfectly happy with the previous headstock design. Either that or the new one is ok by me.
Definitely prefer the "old" headstock on the customs. Must be the binding. Never been an issue for me. Also have the larger Epi headstock (repaired lol) on my ES 339 Pro.

bugo

Reaction score
My 2009 Epiphone Dot has a different headstock shape:

49528350082_36eb5c1be6_c.jpg

Rocka Rolla

Reaction score
IMO, the new headstock looks great and I think in Gibson's mind - it's close enough to get people to stop buying "Chibsons". By mirroring a good chunk of the Gibson line, they're basically making their own "Chibsons" which I suppose is a lot easier than totally eliminating all the fakes. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually license the Gibson headtock design to the Epiphone side like Fender did with Charvel and at that point do more of their own thing rather than just copy themselves.

Rocka Rolla

Reaction score
Yeah, no. The issue ain't the shape, it's the name on the headstock.

There will always be Chibsons, and Epiphoneys as long as there's someone dumb enough to buy them.

Boy, you really like to take quotes out of context to serve your purpose, don't you? Here's the full sentence (again)... "I think in Gibson's mind - it's close enough to get people to stop buying "Chibsons".

gillman royce

Reaction score
Either one's fine with me just as long as they don't go back to that screw in plate logo headstock - hated it.

Latest posts