Anybody here use Buffers ?

• Thread starter AJ6stringsting
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Some years back, I was not happy with the way my set up sounded and a friend dropped in a buffer in my set up and the dynamics, upper mids became unclouded and high frequencies were restored.

So I got two VHT Valvulator 1's, one at the beginning of my pedalboard and one as the last in my pedalboard before going into my rack and aBuffer.

Then 2021, I got a Decibel Eleven Loop Expander, to add some MIDI controlled foot pedals , it has a Class A buffer. Then I added a tiny Mosky Pure Buffer at the end of my pedalboard.

I moved my two VHT Valvulator 1's to my rack, feeding the balanced outputs of my Digitech 2112's left /right side before going into two Crate Power Blocks.

I noticed an increase of headroom, dynamics in articulation and clarity that wasn't there before.

Have you guys placed a buffer(s), on your pedalboard?
Where was the ideal part of the signal chain did you place the buffere in ?

Maguchi

Reaction score
Some years back, I was not happy with the way my set up sounded and a friend dropped in a buffer in my set up and the dynamics, upper mids became unclouded and high frequencies were restored.

So I got two VHT Valvulator 1's, one at the beginning of my pedalboard and one as the last in my pedalboard before going into my rack and aBuffer.

Then 2021, I got a Decibel Eleven Loop Expander, to add some MIDI controlled foot pedals , it has a Class A buffer. Then I added a tiny Mosky Pure Buffer at the end of my pedalboard.

I moved my two VHT Valvulator 1's to my rack, feeding the balanced outputs of my Digitech 2112's left /right side before going into two Crate Power Blocks.

I noticed an increase of headroom, dynamics in articulation and clarity that wasn't there before.

Have you guys placed a buffer(s), on your pedalboard?
Where was the ideal part of the signal chain did you place the buffere in ?
Yeah it sounds like buffers really improved your sound!

My setup is a lot more simple. Sometimes only 2 pedals and up to 6 pedals maximum and no rack gear. I use a lot of Boss pedals and Boss puts buffer circuits in all their pedals. I probly always have a Boss pedal or two somewhere on my pedal board or in my signal chain. I got no complaints about how things sound.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Yup. TC Bonofide Buffer at the end of my primary signal chain. Another thing we can do to improve improve tonal dynamics is using shorter low capacitance cables. Wilde sells a 12' instruments cable for $30 and I've also found MXR cables in the same price range to be excellent as well.

WoundUp

Reaction score
I use them. At one time, I had like 30+ pedals(all true bypass) all hooked up at once so it was KILLING the top end. I started running a buffer first, a buffer last, and even one in the middle of my pedal chain.

I no longer have 30+ pedals hooked up but I still use "3"buffers. A dedicated buffer pedal at the beginning(a 'Polytune 3' tuner pedal w/ buffer turned on), one at the end(a Mosky Audio Clean Buffer) and a Boss SD1 in the middle for it's buffer.

The only musical pedals I have with buffers are the Boss SD1 and a Blues Driver. Everything else is true bypass so the SD1 actually does seem to help.

I won't play without them. True bypass pedals suck tone like it's going out of style so I had to do something about it.

Equalphone

Reaction score
Buffers can also push your sound the wrong way if you have too many or simply don't need one. BUT, there are too many possible combinations of guitars, effects, and amps to figure out whether you "need" one (or more). All you can do is experiment and listen. (Except, perhaps, "I have seventeen pedals in a row with no buffers." Then you definitely need a buffer :- ).

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I have 14 pedals on my board. There is a buffer in the first pedal which is my TC Polytune 3 and then halfway through in my EH Attack/Delay pedal and one in my Keeley Eccos delay/looper before going into my Radial Bigshot ABY which splits my signal to two different amps.

I think that those 3 buffers are plenty. They help the signal get from point A to point B without degradation.

My sound relies more on tone shaping and gain staging through my board than anything else. Its all about the mids!

Pat

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I use a buffer as the first thing to lower my passive pickups from high to low impedance. When I used EMG pickups, the buffer seemed to hinder the EMG, then I dropped in some Schaller Active Pickups and my punch and tone returned.

The Mosky Pure Buffer handled my pedalboard's impedance issues while keeping my tone intact.

The two VHT Valvulator 1's in the balanced left/right outputs of my 2112 ( w/two 12ax7 tubes) unit, blended well with VHT's 12ax7 tubes.
The dynamics are amazing.

A guy I know, has a Behringer V Amp Pro rack unit with a Quilter, that he got from Ebay.
He's got a Furman Power Conditioner, some Pyle Hum Eliminators (as good as Ebtech), and a couple of buffers.
He now is looking for some VHT Valvulator 1's to use to get tube dynamics.
IMO, the VHT Valvulator 1, as buffer with a 12ax7 tube, is probably the best buffer I ever heard .

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I use a buffer as the first thing to lower my passive pickups from high to low impedance. When I used EMG pickups, the buffer seemed to hinder the EMG, then I dropped in some Schaller Active Pickups and my punch and tone returned.

The Mosky Pure Buffer handled my pedalboard's impedance issues while keeping my tone intact.

The two VHT Valvulator 1's in the balanced left/right outputs of my 2112 ( w/two 12ax7 tubes) unit, blended well with VHT's 12ax7 tubes.
The dynamics are amazing.

A guy I know, has a Behringer V Amp Pro rack unit with a Quilter, that he got from Ebay.
He's got a Furman Power Conditioner, some Pyle Hum Eliminators (as good as Ebtech), and a couple of buffers.
He now is looking for some VHT Valvulator 1's to use to get tube dynamics.
IMO, the VHT Valvulator 1, as buffer with a 12ax7 tube, is probably the best buffer I ever heard .
Thanks for the information AJ regarding EMGs and buffers. I have been watching some of the 2008 Epi SG Prophecy’s that have EMGs. They have the most beautiful quilted tops. I know now that I would have to change out the pu’s if I bought one.

Appreciate that info. Good looking out 👀

Pat

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Thanks for the information AJ regarding EMGs and buffers. I have been watching some of the 2008 Epi SG Prophecy’s that have EMGs. They have the most beautiful quilted tops. I know now that I would have to change out the pu’s if I bought one.

Appreciate that info. Good looking out 👀

Pat
You might not have to change out your pickups for a buffer.
Get the buffer inline and see if those pickup don't flatten out with a buffer , first.

Latest posts