Anyone ever replaced the piezo pickup in a Chet Atkins SST?

• Thread starter Z Roberts
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Z Roberts

Reaction score
I realize this question is kind of a long shot. There aren't many of these guitars around (I totally love mine) so the chances of finding someone who's modded one is pretty slim. But what the heck!

As I said, I love my Epiphone Chet Atkins SST Deluxe, but I find the tone from the piezo pickup in the bridge a little disappointing. I could probably replace it with a Fishman but I'm reluctant to put in the time and money only to find little or no improvement when I'm done.
ChetAtkinsSST.jpg

Norton

Reaction score
I'm guessing the majority of what's going on with these guitars is the Preamp... the pickup itself is probably mostly a detection device.

That being said.

k&k piezo systems are one of the least piezo sounding pickups out there. so much so that their base models don't even need preamps or buffering. The Chet Atkins would probably do best with a preamp module. BUT... the pickups themselves are incredibly easy to install.

So.... if you're looking for an upgrade, I'd suggest at least taking a look into their offerings.

https://www.kksound.com/instruments/acousticguitar.php

Z Roberts

Reaction score
I don't think any of those KK Sound pickups will work because the SST doesn't really have an interior, being mostly solid. I'm pretty much stuck with some kind of under-saddle pickup. (There's no preamp in this guitar, BTW).

Norton

Reaction score
Good point. It's been forever since I've seen the inside of the Chet Atkins.

So the guitar you've got doesn't have an active electronics situation goin on???

Z Roberts

Reaction score
No active electronics. I just upgraded the volume and tone pots and there's precious little space in there!

Justin Ditty

Reaction score
I realize this question is kind of a long shot. There aren't many of these guitars around (I totally love mine) so the chances of finding someone who's modded one is pretty slim. But what the heck!

As I said, I love my Epiphone Chet Atkins SST Deluxe, but I find the tone from the piezo pickup in the bridge a little disappointing. I could probably replace it with a Fishman but I'm reluctant to put in the time and money only to find little or no improvement when I'm done.
ChetAtkinsSST.jpg
I have that same model and I'm in the same boat lol. The pickup in mine is extremely weak sounding, especially the G string, and I've been looking online for replacement.

Z Roberts

Reaction score
I have that same model and I'm in the same boat lol. The pickup in mine is extremely weak sounding, especially the G string, and I've been looking online for replacement.

Mine isn't "weak", nor is there a problem with the balance from string to string. After months of playing it I've come to the conclusion that I just had unrealistic expectations. A solid body guitar with piezo pickup, no matter how craftily designed, is never going to sound exactly like a real acoustic guitar. The solution I found was to get an acoustic guitar modeling pedal. Wow! That's the ticket! In fact, the new Fender Acoustasonics are basically Fender's version of the Chet Atkins SST, but with an acoustic modeling pedal built in. Personally, I'd much rather have and the DSP stuff external to the guitar — much easier to repair or upgrade (this technology is still in its early stages and is only going to improve in years to come). And you won't be left holding an unusable guitar if (when) it breaks.

Latest posts