Are finish cracks at the nut normal?

• Thread starter Gravetone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Caddy

Reaction score
I am always somewhat amazed at the many ‘may hurt resale value’ posts I see on various guitar players. I have been playing for over 60 years and have sold exactly two guitars during that time. Both were sold over 50 years ago, when I got a new guitar so the old one got sold. This was back when it was normal to own only one electric at a time. I have always bought guitars to keep (and I have kept them).

Noah

Reaction score
Reviving the thread with a similar issue. Is this a cause for concern/reason to return a new Les Paul? thanks in advance!
One of my Les Pauls came in with a crack in the exact same spot and looked exactly the same.
I sent that one back just because I have never dealt with anything like that and wasnt sure if it was a finish crack or in the wood, but I do know that means the headstock has taken some damage during shipping.
Honestly, I do like the look of an old Les Paul with tons of wear and use, but a new guitar should be new.
If you decide to keep it, ask for a percentage off.
And it also matters how good the guitar is, if you absolutly love it and it isnt giving you any trouble then its a keeper, you never know what you would get as a replacement if you do decide to exchange it, and I have experience with that lol.
And as others have said, dont bother trying to repair it.
I hope this hasnt ruined your view on the guitar but I thought I would just let you know what I think of it.

Send some photos of your new guitar, I would love to see it!

Noah

Reaction score
Reviving the thread with a similar issue. Is this a cause for concern/reason to return a new Les Paul? thanks in advance!
Another thing I forgot to say is, that crack might actually grow along the neck over YEARS but I dont know 100%

Has anyone had this happen to their instrument? :rolleyes:

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Another thing I forgot to say is, that crack might actually grow along the neck over YEARS but I dont know 100%

If it's just a finish crack, then yes, I've had ones with cracks similar to that before. I bought the guitar in '08 and it played fine for around 10 years and the crack didn't grow. I eventually used that crack for testing out some CA products for finishing repairs a few years ago, and so can't really speak to whether the crack would grow beyond 10 years. Mind you, this was really just a thin crack in the finish (and the finish was thick enough that you could tell it didn't propagate into the wood).

danv

Reaction score
One of my Les Pauls came in with a crack in the exact same spot and looked exactly the same.
I sent that one back just because I have never dealt with anything like that and wasnt sure if it was a finish crack or in the wood, but I do know that means the headstock has taken some damage during shipping.
Honestly, I do like the look of an old Les Paul with tons of wear and use, but a new guitar should be new.
If you decide to keep it, ask for a percentage off.
And it also matters how good the guitar is, if you absolutly love it and it isnt giving you any trouble then its a keeper, you never know what you would get as a replacement if you do decide to exchange it, and I have experience with that lol.
And as others have said, dont bother trying to repair it.
I hope this hasnt ruined your view on the guitar but I thought I would just let you know what I think of it.

Send some photos of your new guitar, I would love to see it!

Thanks so much for everybody's replies! Good point about possible shipping damage... The box it came in was damaged at the top and missing the cardboard contraption that's meant to stabilise the head (which was loose in the box). On closer inspection, I noticed a matching hairline crack on the other side as well. The guitar (Les Paul standard 60 iced tea) looks and plays great otherwise and the cracks are not noticeable if you're not looking for them. My only worry is that they might grow over time after it's too late to return it.

cracked nut bottom.jpgcracked nut top.jpgdamaged box 2.jpg

danv

Reaction score
I am always somewhat amazed at the many ‘may hurt resale value’ posts I see on various guitar players. I have been playing for over 60 years and have sold exactly two guitars during that time. Both were sold over 50 years ago, when I got a new guitar so the old one got sold. This was back when it was normal to own only one electric at a time. I have always bought guitars to keep (and I have kept them).
Agreed - resale value is not high on my list. I'm just looking for advice on whether it might cause me problems down the line when it's too late to return. If the hairline cracks are not a concern, I'd much rather keep this guitar as everything else looks and sounds as it should.

danv

Reaction score

That's what I'm worried about 😬

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Thanks so much for everybody's replies! Good point about possible shipping damage... The box it came in was damaged at the top and missing the cardboard contraption that's meant to stabilise the head (which was loose in the box). On closer inspection, I noticed a matching hairline crack on the other side as well. The guitar (Les Paul standard 60 iced tea) looks and plays great otherwise and the cracks are not noticeable if you're not looking for them. My only worry is that they might grow over time after it's too late to return it.

View attachment 16930View attachment 16931View attachment 16932

The pics suggest that it's a finish crack - esp the first one. I wouldn't worry about this from a structural perspective. That being said, you should explore your options for a discount/replacement if it's going to bother you. From a consumer's persepctive, if a replacement is readily available, I don't see why not - or at least try to get like a discount or some kind of credit/ coupon for your next purchase.

danv

Reaction score
The pics suggest that it's a finish crack - esp the first one. I wouldn't worry about this from a structural perspective. That being said, you should explore your options for a discount/replacement if it's going to bother you. From a consumer's persepctive, if a replacement is readily available, I don't see why not - or at least try to get like a discount or some kind of credit/ coupon for your next purchase.
Thanks again, Noodling Guitars. You're probably right. It's two separate cracks, one on each side - does that change your assessment?

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
*Imaginary disclaimers omitted* :rofl:

Looking at the pics, it seems that cracks don't go any deeper than the finish . Since it's a clear finish, if you shine a light in it and sight it down the neck from the headstock side, you should be able to kinda see whether the crack goes into the wood, but it doesn't seem like that in your case - what you should see is just maybe at most a little bit of a shadow from the crack (don't get discouraged by how thick the finish is haha it's VERY thick).

danv

Reaction score
*Imaginary disclaimers omitted* :rofl:

Looking at the pics, it seems that cracks don't go any deeper than the finish . Since it's a clear finish, if you shine a light in it and sight it down the neck from the headstock side, you should be able to kinda see whether the crack goes into the wood, but it doesn't seem like that in your case - what you should see is just maybe at most a little bit of a shadow from the crack (don't get discouraged by how thick the finish is haha it's VERY thick).
Disclaimers duly noted. Thanks again.

Equalphone

Reaction score

View attachment 16930View attachment 16931View attachment 16932

The crack is the result of the underlying wood having moved further than the finish would go without cracking i.e. it received a blow to the headstock. Your box photos confirm that.

MHO: On an old guitar, the finish is dried. Solvents are long gone. It's brittle. Things crack with even a small impact. On a new guitar, things are still a little soft. Solvents are maturing out. It takes a moderate blow to do that. I'd return it. Clearly it's had some shipping damage.

As noted, MHO... and I'm a bit OCD.

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
Modern Epiphones are almost always finished in a poly (-urethane or -ester) finish. Those finishes are completely dry, or as dry as they are ever going to get, the day they are put into the guitar box for shipping. No drying out process, as these are catalyzed finishes. They don't get more or less brittle. I agree on the analysis of the crack(s), and I also would return it.

The drying out process, or more correctly, the out/off gassing process is for nitrocellulose lacquer finished guitar, and not many Epiphones are finished with that.

danv

Reaction score
The crack is the result of the underlying wood having moved further than the finish would go without cracking i.e. it received a blow to the headstock. Your box photos confirm that.

MHO: On an old guitar, the finish is dried. Solvents are long gone. It's brittle. Things crack with even a small impact. On a new guitar, things are still a little soft. Solvents are maturing out. It takes a moderate blow to do that. I'd return it. Clearly it's had some shipping damage.

You’re probably right. The box does look like it’s taken a bit of a beating in transport. Don’t want the hassle of returning it but also don’t want problems down the road. I’ve emailed the shop. Will keep you posted.

Latest posts