Best Les Paul clone/copy/etc

• Thread starter bloc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BGood

Reaction score
Found myself an nice Epi LP Ultra, the first series, 2007.

I would never buy a heavy LP. This one is in SG territory, at around 6 lbs (chambered) and it has that nice belly cut. I would have never bought a clown burst either (I hate them) and all the used ones I've seen for years, are it. A few are tamer and "tolerable", but most are kitsch to my eye.

Then ... this one came up, produced for the Australian market only I believe. So pretty rare on this continent. Seller don't want to ship from Eastern seaboard. So in the coming weeks, it'll be travelling with visiting mom, from his house to a friend's place, where I'll pick it up mid June, on my way to the summer cottage.

That's the friend that got me my PRS SE Soapbar a few months back, in a similar deal, but from Toronto. I'm in debt to him.

My first "almost" full size LP.
Can't wait !

20170403_101206.jpg

20170403_101223.jpg

BGood

Reaction score
It will have to be added to the wiki. It's only mentioning the Faded Cherry Sunburst.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Contrary to what many Epiphone aficionados say, many Chinese made Epiphone's are as good as Gibson, FGN, Edwards, Burny. Greco or Dillon.
Davison , Agile makes excellent LP clones too.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Build quality is improving (on the whole) regardless of place of manufacture - but there's good & bad from all factories...

I like finding a gem under a layer of dust & neglect - but I'm odd like that :thumb:

First Epi I bought tuned out to be 28 years old! so I'm bringing her back to life with some subtle upgrades and a re-fret, will probably end up spending enough to buy a new one, but that's not the point :cool:

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Contrary to what many Epiphone aficionados say, many Chinese made Epiphone's are as good as Gibson, FGN, Edwards, Burny. Greco or Dillon.
Davison , Agile makes excellent LP clones too.

I can't speak for Edwards, Burny, Greco, Dillon or Agile,
'cause I never had one

The Epiphone guitars really stepped up in the last years (or even decade)

Though there still is a huge difference between any (non MiJ) Epiphone and FGN (FujiGen)

I call this craftmanship above many US Custom-Shops :lol:

Last edited:

Eddie

Reaction score
I picked up a cheapo Brownsville LP Standard for $50. 11.5 lbs ... that's some heavy lumber. It's ok ... bolt on neck, and cheap electronics. Ugly pickguard. I replaced with pickguard with a pearl guard for $4 on Amazon.

I think I'm going to swap out the pups on it with a set of Kmise PAF humbucker clones ($15 includes shipping from China).

https://www.amazon.com/Humbucker-Pi...TF8&qid=1495294045&sr=8-1&keywords=humbuckers

Yay? Nay? $15. Can I go wrong with these?

BGood

Reaction score
I picked up a cheapo Brownsville LP Standard for $50. 11.5 lbs ... that's some heavy lumber. It's ok ... bolt on neck, and cheap electronics. Ugly pickguard. I replaced with pickguard with a pearl guard for $4 on Amazon.

I think I'm going to swap out the pups on it with a set of Kmise PAF humbucker clones ($15 includes shipping from China).

https://www.amazon.com/Humbucker-Pi...TF8&qid=1495294045&sr=8-1&keywords=humbuckers

Yay? Nay? $15. Can I go wrong with these?
It's not rocket science. I bought a set of Guitar Madness P94 for $36 and they sounded very close to a set of Gibson P94 I had in another guitar.
I say go for it.

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score
I agree on the Warman Pickups most of the ones I've tried have been really good, especially the G-rail humbucker. it a dual rail and a singlecoil side by side and splitable in all sorts of ways due to having 6 wires plus ground. Ginger from the UK Band "The wildhearts" uses them in all his guitars.

Eddie

Reaction score

Keefoman

Reaction score
Almost every pickupmaker makes humbuckersized P90's.

BGood

Reaction score
But ... they're not 100% P90. When you can compare side to side, it's similar but not really it. I'd say halfway between P90 and humbucker.

Keefoman

Reaction score
Humbucker-sized P90's are of course not the same size as a 'true' P90, just as stacked humbuckers - singlecoil sized aren't the same size as a humbucker, but if it works - it works.

Latest posts