Bridge and sustain.....

• Thread starter shimmilou
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
If there was a noticeable transfer of vibrations past the bridge:

1) anyone who rests their palm on the stop bar/strings past the bridge would feel the vibration, and
2) resting your hand on the strings past the bridge or the stop bar would result in a muted sound do the vibrations being absorbed by the hand.

Shane
since I have a responsive guitar, I can hear some overtone loss when I mute past the bridge.
That or my hand is blocking the sound, but there shouldn't be something to block.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
Say what now?
View attachment 9297
Gotta use the long screwdriver! The one I use has a 146mm shaft/blade, and it works perfectly from the front on an SG. If I came in from the back, I'd never get the angle off the (also decked, but actually designed that way*) tailpiece.

I strongly believe that a T.O.M. tailpiece is designed and intended to be adjustable. Mine is a Curved Brass unit from GFS that is "locking" only in the sense that it is essentially thru-bolted to the guitar. While I dislike the limitations of the design it works fine on The Lady because her bridge is rather low and it doesn't create excessive break angles.
I also "cheated" a bit by not using the supplied bushings. Rather, I used the stock Epi units for two reasons, partly because the finish on the bottom of the GFS tailpiece was wavier than the Gulf with a hurricane in it, but mainly to gain a bit of stack height for a more relaxed break angle. I had planned to use the common 2 piece "locking" posts so I could've had some adjustability, but the holes in the tailpiece were much too big as they match the outer threaded diameter of the studs and I wasn't going to Mickey Mouse it.
Don't get me wrong, I've grown to love the feel of what I have, and wouldn't change it. Having said that, it ain't a proper T.O.M. design, nor would I recommend it to everyone. It works for me and the way my guitar is setup. I'd suggest a standard Brass T.O.M with locking studs all day over this simply for the adjustability.

Wow, roller bridge! I love those!

Latest posts