Can we Stop with the Black Guitars Please

• Thread starter Richard Hall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Hall

Reaction score
What is it with people? Black has got to be the most boring, least imaginative colour for anything, especially guitars. The majority of guitars I see are black. WHY!!!

Grab some imagination. Add some colour into your lives. I would not buy a black guitar or a black car, or a black shirt, etc., etc. Must be a young person thing. Maybe they think it makes then look cool or something...lol. I don't mind black trim or black fade into some other colour but not solid black.

Come on...whos with me!!!

Supersonic

Reaction score
What is it with people? Black has got to be the most boring, least imaginative colour for anything, especially guitars. The majority of guitars I see are black. WHY!!!

Grab some imagination. Add some colour into your lives. I would not buy a black guitar or a black car, or a black shirt, etc., etc. Must be a young person thing. Maybe they think it makes then look cool or something...lol. I don't mind black trim or black fade into some other colour but not solid black.

@Paruwi feels the same way :rofl:

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
No. FYI, I'm 54.

rvvgS76l.jpg

I used to have a black Honda Accord, but got rid of it after 19 years for this
S6wi3Nnl.jpg

The interior is maple, like the fretboards on my Squiers (sold the Avril Lavigne Tele)
RrZVZdCl.jpg

Last edited:

Norton

Reaction score
all sorts of great colors for guitars. silver champagne sparkle, gold top, cherry....natural...blonde.....pelham blue even.
but Black is definitely my favorite. looks great on a 335 a les Paul, sg...tele...V....wandre.

that black guitar will deal at any gig.... country, jazz, punk, stoner....noise...crunk....minimalist post pop trip spazz... all of them. :dude::dude::dude:

Raiyn

Reaction score
Black is such a happy color. Many of my favorite things and memories involve the color black.

Let's turn this around shall we?

What is it with people? White has got to be the most boring, least imaginative, most conformist colour for anything, especially guitars.

Grab some imagination. Add some darkness into your lives. I would not buy a white guitar or a white car, or a white shirt, etc., etc. Must be a old person thing. Maybe they think it makes then look ready for heaven or something...lol. I don't mind white trim or white fade into some other colour but not solid white.

Not so much fun eh? People like what they like, you have your choices, the rest of us have ours.

As for me, I've got, red, blue, and surf green so far because they suited the guitar and the vibe I wanted for that particular axe. I just haven't met a black axe with the right feel yet. Oh, and I really do despise white cars, guitars, and clothing but that just leaves them out there for the people who enjoy such things for their own reasons.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score

I like this song - and especially the message - for ~ 4 decades......

Last edited:

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
My 1st choice is black, but I have other colors too: red, blue, green, and butterscotch. My 2nd choice is red. The blue was a gift, the green was lust at first sight, and the butterscotch was too good a deal to pass up.

BGood

Reaction score
Color is dead. That's what I do for a living, mix colors and apply them to a canvas. I tell you, nobody likes color nowadays. 95% of all cars and trucks on the planet are now a variation between black and white, shades of gray.

I had to drive to a dealer 3 hours away to get a Sienna with some color to it.

180902 Sienna SE 2013-.jpg
So yes Richard, I'm 200% with you. No black guitar for me if I can avoid it.
2020-08-09.jpg

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Color is dead. That's what I do for a living, mix colors and apply them to a canvas. I tell you, nobody likes color nowadays. 95% of all cars and trucks on the planet are now a variation between black and white, shades of gray.

I had to drive to a dealer 3 hours away to get a Sienna with some color to it.

I wanted the "Soul Red" Mazda, but the only ones within 150 miles and my budget had the black interior and I wanted tan. I rationalized that I don't see the outside of the car when I'm driving, so I bought the black one. Since March, I barely see the inside of the car too.

Richard Hall

Reaction score
Love the response. White is also bad but not as bad as black. I own 2 white guitars but neither came in any other colour except black..lol.

Steven Westberg

Reaction score
Huh

huh?
5F1215BD-A7B6-46AD-970C-D54825F13668.jpeg

Raiyn

Reaction score
My current car preferences would lead me to a blue car if I were buying today.
colors-outback-abyss_blue_pearl.png

60CycleHum

Reaction score
I recently watched the YT video documenting the process of building of a 335 at the Gibson factory and the guy hosting the tour (who had previously held multiple jobs on the Gibson factory floor) said that guitars with poor looking wood (unfortunate knots, weird grain) were the guitars that got the opaque color treatment. I’d always imagined that guitars with bad looking grain were the ones that were black or opaque but was nonetheless a bit surprising to hear that theory confirmed. My new-to-me, mint Epi 335 has the heritage cherry translucent finish and has beautiful grain. I’d show it but it’s very difficult to get a good photo of the grain because of the reflection of the gloss. But I did get the vintage amber knobs which look good to my eyes.

1479FEFB-B8CA-4757-918C-88A6198D67B0.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts