Cheap pickups...What's your story

• Thread starter DPaulCustom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wildeman

Reaction score
I've always found cheap pups to lack something. Imo if im going to the trouble to change it i would rather find a used quality pup than buy cheaply made stuff. Just my 2 cents, i dont have alot of cheap pup experience but have found used Fender, Gibson, Duncan, Dimarzio etc.. As low as 20 bux

wildeman

Reaction score
Also i would bet the stock Epi pups are as good as GFS or Toneriders .

RTH

Reaction score
Also i would bet the stock Epi pups are as good as GFS or Toneriders .
I'm in the process of swapping a Epiphone 700T for a GFS VEH, so I'll let you know.

Personally, I like the more expensive pups I've used over the low end stuff. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the vintage DiMarzios I've been playing for the past five years. Speaking of cheap, I found them in the parts case at a local mom & pop used guitar store. He sold them to me for $15 each. :shock: Crazy. One is a X2N and the other is a Super-2. The X2N is really hot and is a bit of a shredder style pup, but that Super-2 is just freaking beautiful sounding. I was just at that same store yesterday and he had a not-so-vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion that he wanted $40 for.Tempting, but I'm not really willing to pay that much for a pickup that I dont have a guitar for.

Thats my cheap pickup story.

wildeman

Reaction score
I'm in the process of swapping a Epiphone 700T for a GFS VEH, so I'll let you know.

Personally, I like the more expensive pups I've used over the low end stuff. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the vintage DiMarzios I've been playing for the past five years. Speaking of cheap, I found them in the parts case at a local mom & pop used guitar store. He sold them to me for $15 each. :shock: Crazy. One is a X2N and the other is a Super-2. The X2N is really hot and is a bit of a shredder style pup, but that Super-2 is just freaking beautiful sounding. I was just at that same store yesterday and he had a not-so-vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion that he wanted $40 for.Tempting, but I'm not really willing to pay that much for a pickup that I dont have a guitar for.

Thats my cheap pickup story.
I just pulled the 700t out my junior, it was ok but i thought it lacked definition. Its hard to describe but as soon as i plugged in the JB it was there.

RTH

Reaction score
Ok, the GFS is a little better than the 700T. It is a bit fuller and has a smoother sound...at least that is the impression I got having only played if for a minute or two. I still need to tune up properly and crank the volume.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I routed out the middle of a Randy Rhoads / Jackson guitar ( H,H,H ) with a ( N ) Dimarzio Evolution ( 12. 36k ohms, ( M ) bridge Evolution pickup ( 13.84 k ohms ), GFS Overwound Hex pole clearance ( 16.97k ohms) with a OFR tremolo, three concentric ( stacked) pots for each pickup and with 5 way Fender style 5 way switch.
The GFS is so brutal yet when I back it down with the volume knob, she cleans up beautifully for my acoustic simulator.
I've had great luck with GFS and especially Dragonfire pickups, they earned my respect, big time !!!!

TomL

Reaction score
I like Toneriders. My classic vibe Squier Tele has Toneriders as stock, and they're fantastic.

I'm also a big fan of Iron Gear. The price is really cheap, but the quality is great. They're as good as any Seymour Duncan's I've used. I've used them a few times and every time, they've arrived the day after I ordered them.

BGood

Reaction score
Got these cheap Guitar Madness P94 for $35, not expecting much. Well ... I'm impressed !
They sound great ! Lots of twang to them, jangly, bell like, very bright, almost too much. Rolling back the tone and/or volume works well. Much definition.
As good as a good P90 ... really !
They now reside in my Jay Turser JT50 SG, for good.

Me like it a lot !

TANG A TANG TANG, TWANG TANG

JayTurser%20JT50%20with%20P94_zpsvaw0qfwp.jpg

mike

Reaction score
I like Toneriders. My classic vibe Squier Tele has Toneriders as stock, and they're fantastic.

I'm also a big fan of Iron Gear. The price is really cheap, but the quality is great. They're as good as any Seymour Duncan's I've used. I've used them a few times and every time, they've arrived the day after I ordered them.
+1 on IronGear pickups...

I've got Tesla Sharks in my LP, and have used the Hot Slag / Rolling Mill combo in an SGj with good results. I've also played with a set of Texas Locos (single coils) in one of my partscasters.

never had a problem with them, and as mentioned by TomL mine have always turned up within a couple of days of ordering.

great value for money, would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a good set of cheap pickups.

Imerkat

Reaction score
I fancy my self a handy man but i have had many moments of having to take my guitars in to a pro Luthier. that said,With the holiday discount and exchange rate, I bought three Gold firebird pickup set for the price of one from the big name brands. They're called Phoenix pickups from D'urbano. They're on their way. Hopefully this complete rewiring goes better than my previous failed attempt.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
I fancy my self a handy man but i have had many moments of having to take my guitars in to a pro Luthier. that said,With the holiday discount and exchange rate, I bought three Gold firebird pickup set for the price of one from the big name brands. They're called Phoenix pickups from D'urbano. They're on their way. Hopefully this complete rewiring goes better than my previous failed attempt.
Find a local friend who knows how to do it to help you if you can.

jtcnj

Reaction score
Finally pulled apart my SX strat to check the guitar madness Al5 set, middle pick up low output. cold solder joint at ground lead at back of pot.
Played a bit on the 5f1,
sounds good, I like.
A lot.
Funny thing, I'm listening to Derek - Dominos album as I write this.

Got the GFS Mean 90 in the SG Jr. last weekend.
Played a bit on the 5f1,
sounds good, I like.
A lot.

Imerkat

Reaction score
Find a local friend who knows how to do it to help you if you can.

definitely but I'm trying to take off my training wheels; I feel more confident now installing little things here and there.

MarkB

Reaction score
I've got Irongear pups in my Tele - slightly overwound - they have real bite to them! TBH they were in when I got it so can't compare them to the originals but I'm happy with them. I tend to play with both pups on but the bridge on its own screams!

digital4fun

Reaction score
My connectors from Tayda arrived today.
I'm going to give em a shot when I rewire the sg, & install the DD pups.
7.85 on the 101n, & 16.32 on the 102b
DSC00955_zpsptu2mbcz.jpg

The "quick connect" pins from Tayda. I'll be using these for the pup wires, & caps.
DSC00956_zpse261yypw.jpg

The wiring harness I picked up from ebay
DSC00945_zpsx7ctzgen.jpg

I went ahead & metered the pots just to be sure.
Not the "Best" wiring harness, but a good upgrade for the price.
I always run .01/.015 on my neck pup, so the sockets will come in handy right away, & I'll have an extra .022 for something else down the line. Can't wait to get better so I can get back to playing, & tinkering:naughty:

Just wondering how the quick connectors worked out for you? I've been considering doing that for convenience of trying different PU's without having to resolder.

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Just wondering how the quick connectors worked out for you? I've been considering doing that for convenience of trying different PU's without having to resolder.
They work pretty well for caps, orange drops, with the thicker lead wire just plug right in. Other caps you have to double it over.
Pickups are hit & miss. I tried em with the DD pups above, but the lead wire is thin, & the natural 'tension' on the wire kept pulling them out. I then tried adding some extra solder to the wire to thicken it up, & it was too thick. I wound up just soldering everything, after I was happy with the caps I chose.
If you're going to do a lot of pup swapping, I'd recommend soldering a 2 inch wire to the back of the pot, & one to the lug, & just connect to those till you decide what's going to work for you. Trying to find an easy way out usually ends up with more time & money involved.
JMO

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Another great pickup to get but jumped up in price, is the Carvin M22SD.
Sadly, the rave reviews are the reason for the price hike. Has the similar punch of the Dimarzio. Evolution, but has more tighter bass response , more defined, better treble cutting \ attack and more headroom than the Dimarzio Evo. That's if. You lower the 22 polepieces and raise towards the strings.
Raise the polepices , lower the PU , you get some killer 1970' s / early 1980's Bill Lawrence XL-500 like tones and drive.

wildeman

Reaction score
Im gonna give GFS a try, i have been looking at vid/ reviews of the surf 90 and it seems interesting. Im looking for a early 50's T bone kinda tone maybe like Duane Eddy. It seems like this pickup comes close. Not just gettin them cause their cheap but this is a pretty unique pickup. I may also get a set of mean 90s to try out as they seem to get alot of love, anyone a-b'd them with a Fatcat? I had a Fatcat before and it was nice so if they are real similar i may just get the cats.

Latest posts