compression before or after dis/od

• Thread starter seanwhattingham
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

seanwhattingham

Reaction score
I always thought compressors came first in chain, now im hearing that alot of people run there od /distortion into comp ,or even both. What your opinion, please don't say whatever sounds best ,i can make my ears hear what i want them to especially with a very mild comp setting.

MaineTim

Reaction score
I usually run Clean Boost -> OD -> Comp, so that the OD is responsive to playing dynamics that the comp would mask, but it really does depend on what you want to achieve.

BGood

Reaction score
Hmmm ... lets see. The compression knob is on the lower left, so iis it before or on the way out ?

IMGP5023_zpszgfi1imq.jpg

Last edited:

Alty

Reaction score
You're getting/reading about different views because it does matter what tone you want from it, all compressors are different and act differently with different guitars, amps, other pedals, there is no magic answer unfortunately and depends on what tone you want. So yes it is about what sounds best, for you....

Imerkat

Reaction score
Depends on the compressor IMO. I used to run a Dyna Comp clone first on the chain. Now i use the Durham S-x Drive and while i was using it first i read how great it sounds being pushed by an OD; so that's how I'm running it. I found that running on a single channel amp it helps to level your clean, dirty, & rhythm tones. Distortion on the other hand has natural compression. if you have your settings to a transparent compression you'll be hard press to notice a difference before or after.

buddhuu

Reaction score
I run comp before OD, but then I don't use it much on overdriven tones; I mostly use comp on cleans.

Latest posts