difference between mexican tele pickups as opposed to its american counterpart?

• Thread starter Töñə ÇH@$əR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phonepi

Reaction score
im in the market for a telecaster

"A squier. My Kingdom for a Squier" (Richard III, Shakespeare) 🧐

A Squier Classic Vibe 50 is an amazing Telecaster :cool: : perfectly built plus great tone... Mine is a 2020, made in Indonesia, bought new :

9FPfJb-P1090308.jpg

p3kBKb-P1090296.jpg

tsddJb-deballage3.jpg

I had a Mex Telecaster standard in 2010, also bought new : She's now sold without regrets...

ZH81Kb-IMG-7068.jpg

Much inferior in tone to the Squier Tele CV50, and by far !

But it's me, OK ? 😁

P

Supersonic

Reaction score
if you put a humbucker, P-90, Filter-Tron, etc., in it, it ceases to be a Tele (especially if you put it in the neck position, which is where Tele magic lives!)

lumberg2.jpg

I get what you're saying, but I have a Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom with the Wide Range humbucker in the neck and a traditional single coil at the bridge. The Wide Range pickup is much different than a normal 'bucker and the guitar's sound is still unmistakably Tele.

Last edited:

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan Brad Paisley La Breas and Vintage Broadcasters are excellent upgrades. And no, I don't work for Seymour...

But if he wants to send me a set of Seth Lovers for my next project...:D

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
"A squier. My Kingdom for a Squier" (Richard III, Shakespeare) 🧐

A Squier Classic Vibe 50 is an amazing Telecaster :cool: : perfectly built plus great tone... Mine is a 2020, made in Indonesia, bought new :

9FPfJb-P1090308.jpg

p3kBKb-P1090296.jpg

tsddJb-deballage3.jpg

I had a Mex Telecaster standard in 2010, also bought new : She's now sold without regrets...

ZH81Kb-IMG-7068.jpg

Much inferior in tone to the Squier Tele CV50, and by far !

But it's me, OK ? 😁

P
my buddy has the strat version and it sounds amazing. ive seen ppl raving about them in fb groups as well. she looks great

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan Brad Paisley La Breas and Vintage Broadcasters are excellent upgrades. And no, I don't work for Seymour...

But if he wants to send me a set of Seth Lovers for my next project...:D
i love the Slash alnico pro 2s i have on my Epi Les Paul along with the ones on my Kramer. but I've never taken it apart to see which ones

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
I swapped the original pickups on my 2020 Player series for Fender 4th generation noiseless ones. I shouldn't have bothered. Compared to the originals they simply don't have that Tele twang.

If you buy a Player Series, keep the ones that come with it and see how you like them.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Player Plus, which comes with noiseless pickups and a few other things, unless you REALLY want the rolled edge fretboard.

Better, IMHO, to buy a regular Player, and upgrade the pickups if you want to to aftermarket ones of your choice. Other things, like fitting your own locking tuners or a 4-way switch (or a push-pull if you must) to give you series / parallel switching can be done for beer money costs later.
thats why i was asking. i was gonna get the MIM and upgrade the pups and the pots

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
View attachment 19841

I get what you're saying, but I have a Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom with the Wide Range humbucker in the neck and a traditional single coil at the bridge. The Wide Range pickup is much different than a normal 'bucker and the guitar's sound is still unmistakably Tele.
Only humbucker Fender ever produced that's worth a damn. Designed by the same guy we can thank for our Gibson and Epi PAF types, Seth Lover. The CuNiFe reissues are damn pricey too but it's about the cleanest most transparent sounding humbucker made.

Those twin blade pickups Bill Lawrence began producing around 1975 will get ya' there as well if you use the lower inductance version in the neck position. But overall I still prefer the two single coil versions of a Tele.

Supersonic

Reaction score
Only humbucker Fender ever produced that's worth a damn. Designed by the same guy we can thank for our Gibson and Epi PAF types, Seth Lover. The CuNiFe reissues are damn pricey too but it's about the cleanest most transparent sounding humbucker made.

Agreed. I guess they stopped making them for years because those CuNiFe magnets were hard to come by. The reissues are indeed pricy and so was my Mojotone '72 Wide Range Clone.

I found this pic a few years ago showing a real one compared to what they were using at the time. I'm assuming the one that came stock in the Squier would be the one on the top...:shock:

WRHB.jpg

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
thats why i was asking. i was gonna get the MIM and upgrade the pups and the pots
That's the way I would do it.

A four way switch, IMHO is a far better way to do the series/parallel thing, bit be aware you'll need a flat needle file to elongate the switch slot about 1/16th at either end, otherwise you won't get the full throw on the switch.

Also be aware that you need to separate the lipstick cover ground from the pickup ground. There's usually a little jumper you can cut or de-solder. You then need to add a third wire as a separate lipstick cover ground. File away a bit of the chrome from one of the fold-over tabs and solder the new ground to the exposed copper or brass. Far easier than trying to solder to chrome, and you won't see it when the pickguard is in place. The pickup ground goes through the switch, bit the lipstick cover ground must go to ground on a pot casing, not through the switch.

You get:

P1 - bridge
P2 - bridge and neck parallel
P3 - neck
P4 - bridge and neck series.

If you wanted to, you could add one, but only one, push-pull pot for the tone. You can't add two because the bottom of the control cavity has a ridge under the volune pot. You can use the push-pull to phase flip the bridge, as a hotshot to bypass the volume and or tone, or something else.

WDUSS4L1101__35558.jpg

Supersonic

Reaction score
That's the way I would do it.

A four way switch, IMHO is a far better way to do the series/parallel thing, bit be aware you'll need a flat needle file to elongate the switch slot about 1/16th at either end, otherwise you won't get the full throw on the switch.

Also be aware that you need to separate the lipstick cover ground from the pickup ground. There's usually a little jumper you can cut or de-solder. You then need to add a third wire as a separate lipstick cover ground. File away a bit of the chrome from one of the fold-over tabs and solder the new ground to the exposed copper or brass. Far easier than trying to solder to chrome, and you won't see it when the pickguard is in place. The pickup ground goes through the switch, bit the lipstick cover ground must go to ground on a pot casing, not through the switch.

You get:

P1 - bridge
P2 - bridge and neck parallel
P3 - neck
P4 - bridge and neck series.

If you wanted to, you could add one, but only one, push-pull pot for the tone. You can't add two because the bottom of the control cavity has a ridge under the volune pot. You can use the push-pull to phase flip the bridge, as a hotshot to bypass the volume and or tone, or something else.

What Tele has "lipstick" pickups? I thought that was a Danelectro or custom Strat thing? They are a completely different animal than a normal Tele neck pickup.

Raiyn

Reaction score

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
*cough* I'm not so sure about that.

How about "play it first"? You might find you *gasp* like it as is.

What other Fender humbucker do you believe is it's equal? Of the top of my head I can't even recall another Fender produced humbucker that was of their own design but a WRH that would be suitable in the Tele neck position.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I guess they stopped making them for years because those CuNiFe magnets were hard to come by. The reissues are indeed pricy and so was my Mojotone '72 Wide Range Clone.

I found this pic a few years ago showing a real one compared to what they were using at the time. I'm assuming the one that came stock in the Squier would be the one on the top...:shock:

View attachment 19856

Yup. Latter day Fenders and Squiers didn't use a CuNiFe humbucker until very recently when Fender began to produce them again.

1673770548387.png

Latest posts