Do you remove your stickers?

• Thread starter Terrasolo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BGood

Reaction score
Would never work around my granddaughters. Even if I bought them a second one to keep as a potential collectors item they'd find it and open it. Forward thinking isn't part of their thought process yet.
Can't wrap my head around the concept of someone paying more for an unpacked Barbie than for a new one without its plastic casing. Actually, I don't get people collecting mass produced objects in hope of eventually making money on them.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Can't wrap my head around the concept of someone paying more for an unpacked Barbie than for a new one without its plastic casing. Actually, I don't get people collecting mass produced objects in hope of eventually making money on them.
Yeah but they do. It's amazing what people will pay for some stuff from 20 and 30 years ago that's still untouched in it's original packaging. I've never been a collector so I have no real appreciation for it either.

Equalphone

Reaction score
If it’s brand new, I’ll leave them on until I’m sure I’m going to keep it.

Otherwise, they come right off. For the brand new guitar, they come right off after I make the decision to keep it.

3bolt79

Reaction score
The second thing I do after a new one arrives is to remove all of the plastic coverings and the labels. The first thing is a thorough inspection to make certain it has no obvious cosmetic, electronic, or mechanical issues.

I'm a player not a collector like Trogly and a few others. I guess for them buying something they may see as being a "virgin" never played guitar is a big deal like people who buy still in the box Barbies and GI Joes.

To me it's the difference between those of us who buy to play and those who buy primarily to display. I'm not looking to buy guitars as wall art.
That's funny, I have a talking GI Joe Commander in the original box. Thanks for reminding me. It's time to list him while he can still talk.

Waiting for Bill Shatner to kick so I Can sell my autographed Capt. Kirk from the 70's with the rest of my Star Trek Collection. Sitting on them for 15 years is long enough.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I have through about it. My Epiphone Les Paul is now 30 years old, surely that's vintage by now. It had stickers on it. At the very least, based on others I saw, it has a sticker listing "LP STD HB" which my younger self must have removed. I agree that it probably doesn't matter to any value someone may put on the guitar, but I do have to wonder if the stickers may mean more to someone. As I pointed out before, Trogly for instance, loves when he finds a vintage Gibson guitar with the pick guard plastic and stickers still in place. So some people do care about it. As these are tool for us to make music, it shouldn't matter, but in some way they may one day be an investment too, so it's good to know what matters to the value of them.
For an Epiphone to be "vintage" to my mind, it has to be made in Kalamazoo; to be truly vintage, it has to be made in NY.
If any overseas Epi should ever qualify, it will be an Epi-specific model; Epi knock-offs of Gibson models will never be "vintage"; they just become old.

Eddd

Reaction score
I say remove all the stickers,If the guitar is truly vintage and valuable it probably won’t have any stickers on it anyway.I don’t think removing the “little trash can” or country of origin stickers would make some made in Indonesia les Paul any less valuable.

Robb

Reaction score
W
I say remove all the stickers,If the guitar is truly vintage and valuable it probably won’t have any stickers on it anyway.I don’t think removing the “little trash can” or country of origin stickers would make some made in Indonesia les Paul any less valuable.
What's the real use of that trash can sticker !

SJS

Reaction score
I have one of those inspection stickers on my 2005 Epi Lucille. Still there in pristine condition, as is the guitar. Asked the wife if I should remove it. She said no. Happy wife, happy life 👍🏻

LostVenture

Reaction score
I have through about it. My Epiphone Les Paul is now 30 years old, surely that's vintage by now. It had stickers on it. At the very least, based on others I saw, it has a sticker listing "LP STD HB" which my younger self must have removed. I agree that it probably doesn't matter to any value someone may put on the guitar, but I do have to wonder if the stickers may mean more to someone. As I pointed out before, Trogly for instance, loves when he finds a vintage Gibson guitar with the pick guard plastic and stickers still in place. So some people do care about it. As these are tool for us to make music, it shouldn't matter, but in some way they may one day be an investment too, so it's good to know what matters to the value of them.
Just for clarifcation, when I think vintage I'm thinking fifties Gibsons , Fenders, Gretschs, even Epiphones. Everything else is just old instruments.
Is that just me?

Telechamp

Reaction score
I took the stickers off my two Epi Masterbilt acoustics (MIC DR-400MCE and MII DR-500MCE), but left the original sticker on my MIK '96 Epi LP Standard. For some reason, I like this one on - and it hasn't peeled off yet...

X0V8BOO.jpg

cuIOs5j.jpg

rFysHJF.jpg

MvMCAX7.jpg

Latest posts