Drop in machine heads for epiphone special ii

Samuel Reed

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm having my first ever attempt at modding a guitar. Really good fun, but I want to start easy.
I'm changing everything on an Epiphone Special II.
I don't have any tuning issues but I want to change the machine heads to something vintage, with white pegs; purely aesthetic.

My question is, does anyone know of a set that are
A. better than the stock tuners.
B. Moderately priced.
C. and this is the key part... require ABSOLUTELY NO DRILLING. I don't want to drill. At all. I want a drop in set.

Many thanks indeed!

Last edited:

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
Depending on the age, the tuner post holes should be 10mm in diameter. If so, you can get a set of the Hipshot tuners with the UMP plate. They come in a variety of tuner buttons, including white plastic. They are generally cheaper than better known brands. Other things to consider are the tuner body finishes (chrome, gold, or black), whether you want locking tuners, and open or closed back (open back are a little lighter, and have an 18:1 tuning ratio; the closed back are a little heavier, and have a 15:1 tuning ratio). The UMP plates remove the need for any drilling of the headstock, and should you choose to do so when you sell the guitar, the original tuners can be put back on.

Samuel Reed

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestions!
I'd read elsewhere that the machine heads on ES II were 8mm.

I don't have calipers and am not really sure what I'm measuring anyway!

Really hope that someone out there has done this exact job before and can suggest a foolproof set. It's an Indonesian ES II, if that helps.

Thanks again.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
You're measuring the diameter of the holes. I had a Spec I and had to ream out the holes and drill new screw holes to install 10mm tuners.

Samuel Reed

Reaction score
What about just changing the buttons on the machine heads? Is that easy? Do replacements attach in a universal way?

BGood

Reaction score
What about just changing the buttons on the machine heads? Is that easy? Do replacements attach in a universal way?
If you're only doing it for the looks, that is definitely the best solution. I would think that part is pretty much universal. Not a big expense to try it though. And contrary to replacing the whole tuners, you can go crazy in what you put in for buttons.

Samuel Reed

Reaction score
If you're only doing it for the looks, that is definitely the best solution. I would think that part is pretty much universal. Not a big expense to try it though. And contrary to replacing the whole tuners, you can go crazy in what you put in for buttons.
Bit of an issue here: I bought new tuner buttons as suggested but the new ones attach with a central screw. I'm not sure how the old ones are attached. There doesn't appear to be anything. Before I risk breaking something that can't be replaced, anyone have any idea if the buttons on the tuners in the attached photo can even be swapped out?

Attachments

• IMG_20210216_094407.jpg
    IMG_20210216_094407.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 13

BGood

Reaction score
... until the guitar is an atrocity.
... and you don't want to drill 6 tiny holes where they'll never be seen ?

On my Special 1, I only remembered 3 years later that I did drill holes for new tuners, when I took a picture of the back of the headstock to show the stamp there or something.

Samuel Reed

Reaction score
... and you don't want to drill 6 tiny holes where they'll never be seen ?

On my Special 1, I only remembered 3 years later that I did drill holes for new tuners, when I took a picture of the back of the headstock to show the stamp there or something.

I wasn't clear. I'm happy to drill the little holes for the screws that hold the gears to the back of the headstock; I don't want to do all that drilling and precision reaming to house the shafts and pegs.
I don't have the tools or skills!

Raiyn

Reaction score
drilling and precision reaming
:laugh2: Bruh.
https://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html
image_16077.jpg

Work from both sides. This is how I installed Hipshots on Killer Frost.

Oh and @Kostas Kritsilas is 100% right about the Hipshot tuners. I use their open gear lockers on all of my axes. Stupid easy to install. They also make a "vintage" size now, but unless it's an actual vintage instrument (or stupidly expensive) I'd just gently ream the holes out.

Last edited:

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Agreeing with @Raiyn and @Supersonic. The most important tool is a steady hand. I used a cheap caliper and a hand reamer. I measured the 10mm diameter part of the reamer and wrapped a bit of tape at that point. Then I slowly reamed and, when I got near the tape, I would remove the reamer and see if the tuner fit.

I understand if you don't want to do it, but as far as skills required, if you can turn a knob you can do this.

Samuel Reed

Reaction score
Really happy with how she turned out.
Gave the machine heads a miss this time.
Thanks to all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210214_194208.jpg
    Screenshot_20210214_194208.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 21
  • received_189476282932591.jpeg
    received_189476282932591.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 21

Samuel Reed

Reaction score
Since you put the wiggle stick on there, I would highly suggest the locking tuners now. String wraps + wiggle stick = tuning instability.
The roller bridge and tusq nut seems to be coping fine. It's held its tuning really well.

Latest posts