Epi costum ebony

• Thread starter Finn S
  • Start date
  • Tags
    epi
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Finn S

Reaction score
Could anyone please tell me what the top of the body is made of and how it compares to gibsons maple. You can not see it because it is black.

Charles Carter

Reaction score
Could anyone please tell me what the top of the body is made of and how it compares to gibsons maple. You can not see it because it is black.
Hey Finn.

Welcome aboard EpiTalk.
I believe it will be a carved maple cap over a mahogany body as standard. The quality of the maple I can't vouch for.
There are plenty of players here who know much more about LPs than me so sit tight and let's see what they have to say.
In the mean time how about some pics of your Epi(s)?

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Finn.

As best I know virtually every Epi LP has a mahogany body with either a veneer maple cap or a carved maple cap around 3/8" thick. If you lift the neck pickup out of it's cavity you can tell whether it's a thin veneer or a piece of solid maple.

The maple on painted models isn't likely to have the figuring of those models with transparent finishes but the quality of the woods used won't vary much unless you're talking about Custom Shop level models that get the best AAA maple available.

Is there something more specific you want to know?

Latest posts