Epi Forum Newbie here

• Thread starter capnhiho
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

capnhiho

Reaction score
Hi! I just learned about this forum from gretschtalk.com where I’ve been active for over a decade. I decided I’d join this forum because I own a beautiful Epi Joe Pass Emperor (with mild mods) and thought I might pick your collective brains. I’m a retired geezer and have been playing guitar for about 60 years now. I’ve pared my collection down to two Gretsches, a T-type, an Ibanez 335 clone, and my Joe Pass. Amps are a Quilter MicroPro Mach 2, and two custom made 5 watt tube amps.

That’s enough for my intro…

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
What’s up with posting photos here? I understand server limitations but I can’t even post a screenshot?
Welcome to the forum capn. The forum often requires photos be re-sized in order to post. You'll find an entire thread about that with suggestions for how to re-size from several of our members.

If after reviewing that and taking a shot at it if you're still running into problems let us know and we'll see what we can do to help you through it. It can be a nuisance at first but you get used to it soon enough.

capnhiho

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum capn. The forum often requires photos be re-sized in order to post. You'll find an entire thread about that with suggestions for how to re-size from several of our members.

If after reviewing that and taking a shot at it if you're still running into problems let us know and we'll see what we can do to help you through it. It can be a nuisance at first but you get used to it soon enough.
Yeah, similar restrictions on image size over at Gretsch-Talk. I usually open a photo then take a screenshot that then posts OK.
Screenshot doesn’t work this time. I’ll figure it out soon enough…

Last edited:

Charles Carter

Reaction score
Welcome aboard capn.
I, like you, have a Joe Pass Emperor that I love. Mine is all original and sounds great through my Udo Roesner daCapo amp.
I'm a big fan of the thicker D shaped neck and have found the Epi Century series of Masterbilt acoustic archtops are similar, if not a little thicker.
I hope you manage to post some photos for us. Yeah, it's a pain.
You'll sort it, I'm sure.

capnhiho

Reaction score
Welcome aboard capn.
I, like you, have a Joe Pass Emperor that I love. Mine is all original and sounds great through my Udo Roesner daCapo amp.
I'm a big fan of the thicker D shaped neck and have found the Epi Century series of Masterbilt acoustic archtops are similar, if not a little thicker.
I hope you manage to post some photos for us. Yeah, it's a pain.
You'll sort it, I'm sure.
The neck profile of a buddy’s JP is what got me interested in the first place; arthritis in my left thumb has made me extremely sensitive to neck shape. My JP is sort of original: I replaced the wiring with a custom harness from TV Jones (but stock configuration). I wasn’t crazy about the pickups, so replaced the Alnico 5 magnets with Alnico 2 to mellow the attitude. I hated the gaudy tailpiece that went “Sprong!” every time it was bumped so I replaced it with a plain gold one. The bridge on mine was as dead as balsa wood, so it was replaced with an ebony bridge from StewMac. I’m really pleased with how it has turned out. I’m old, retired, and down to five guitars that I’ll probably keep till I can’t play anymore. My JP is one of them.

Charles Carter

Reaction score
The neck profile of a buddy’s JP is what got me interested in the first place; arthritis in my left thumb has made me extremely sensitive to neck shape. My JP is sort of original: I replaced the wiring with a custom harness from TV Jones (but stock configuration). I wasn’t crazy about the pickups, so replaced the Alnico 5 magnets with Alnico 2 to mellow the attitude. I hated the gaudy tailpiece that went “Sprong!” every time it was bumped so I replaced it with a plain gold one. The bridge on mine was as dead as balsa wood, so it was replaced with an ebony bridge from StewMac. I’m really pleased with how it has turned out. I’m old, retired, and down to five guitars that I’ll probably keep till I can’t play anymore. My JP is one of them.
That sounds great Capn!
I don't have any issues with the tailpiece on mine but it's a newer II Pro model. So I have the ProBucker pickups with coil-splits (which I never use). However I do like the idea of an ebony bridge. I might put one on my shopping list. Thanks for the inspiration.
I like the ProBuckers, nice and warm when you want it, which for me is all the time.
I'm sorry to hear you have arthritis, that can't be any fun at all.
My issue is that I was an obsessive Mt Biker for 30yrs and twanged the tendons off my thumbs several times when crashing. This has left me in a similar situation as you. The chunkier necks are much more comfortable now.
Still looking forward to those photos Capn.

Latest posts