Epi line modern 2020 pup question

• Thread starter jszfunk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jszfunk

Reaction score
Doing some research on the new Epi line modern 2020

It states"The control assembly features the treble bleed circuit to keep your highs sparkling when turning your volume down, 3 push-pull pots to switch between the humbucker and the single-coil sounds, and phase switching for the most versatile and sonic variety. "

Forgive the ignorance. I have never played or had a guitar that had a treble bleed circuit and phase switching. I get the push pull pots. Maybe someone can enlighten me on those functions and their benefits and are they that needed or necessary. Thanks

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Coil splitting basically uses one of the two coils on the humbuckers so it sounds like a single coil pickup. My Epi LP Tribute+ has it, but I don't use it. When I want a single coil sound, I pick up a Strat or a Tele.

I've never used phase switching or a treble bleed. Someone who knows more about that stuff will be around soon.

As to whether they are necessary, only your ears can judge that.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I tried phase switching in one of the (multiple) wiring harnesses I made for my Strat - not a fan of the tinny sound.

Treble bleeds on the other hand, those are nice. They help keep high end in your signal when you back down your volume. I'm a big fan of those.

Bonzo21

Reaction score
The out of phase sound sucks IMO. Peter green apparently made it famous but I can't, and have never, gotten any good sounds out of it. Sounds like a broken guitar to me. Coil splits I have become a recent convert on.

But the real gem is the treble bleed. I don't have a guitar equipped with one (yet) but I've played a few. So what happens is when you roll down your volume knob you lose a bit of treble, and the more you turn it down the more you lose. Sometimes that's what you want (i.e. I've never felt like I was missing out) but if you use your volume knob to control the level of gain on your amp (to get multiple sounds or to have room for when you want to do some leads) then the treble bleed will make your volume knob more "transparent" (it will colour your tone less). I have a P90 equipped guitar that I want to do this mod on for that very reason. The pickups have a good variety of tones but they get quite muddy and weak around 6.

DennisK

Reaction score
Doing some research on the new Epi line modern 2020

It states"The control assembly features the treble bleed circuit to keep your highs sparkling when turning your volume down, 3 push-pull pots to switch between the humbucker and the single-coil sounds, and phase switching for the most versatile and sonic variety. "

Forgive the ignorance. I have never played or had a guitar that had a treble bleed circuit and phase switching. I get the push pull pots. Maybe someone can enlighten me on those functions and their benefits and are they that needed or necessary. Thanks
Check yer PM's
Treble bleeds are simple. They bleed off the high-end and feed it back into the volume pot. Just buy one for a few bucks and solder to the center lug and output lug of your volume pot and you will be surprised at how much it helps in retaining the crispness of the volume at full volume. Great trick and cheap.

Attachments

• 36466666.jpg
    36466666.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 6

davidchagrin

Reaction score
Interesting how many don't like phase switching. Brian May is a good example of the out of phase sound. It works when 2 pups are used together, out of phase from each other. It is a pretty cool effect. My Reverend guitar has this feature.
Treble bleed circuit is great for players who ride the volume knob to vary gain intensity and dynamics. It's a capacitor (and usually a resistor) added to the guitar volume potentiometer which limits the high-end roll-off when the knob goes below 10. My Rev came with it stock and I added it to my Epiphone.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Brian May is a good example of the out of phase sound.
He is able to make it work for him ie: the Bohemian Rhapsody solo, but for those of us without modded Burns Trisonics (and his fingers) that nasal tone can be off putting. I'll admit that I ended up not keeping the pickups I tried it with for other reasons, but the out-of-phase setting made them sound even more janky than they actually were.

Latest posts