Epi Sg 400 pro

• Thread starter Ron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ron

Reaction score
I purchased this one a year ago and really enjoy it. Last night the input jack fell out and would not tighten after I tried from the backside of the guitar. I called a tech where it was purchased and we agreed to take it to a local Luthier and have him replace it vs sending it back and spending the money. The company who warranties the guitar for 2 years would credit me up to a certain amount for the repair and upgraded jack. Has anyone else had this issue with the input jack. The Luthier told me that many overseas guitars have very poor jacks.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
On my 1966 G-400 I had it happen. A little pull on the cable and the nut popped off the end of the threads.

Replaced it with a Switchcraft and it's been fine since.

Ron

Reaction score
Gladly I never had any issue with this

and

Welcome here @ €piTalk
:wave:
Thanks Pete.. will try and stop by often.. I am usually on the Learn and Legacy Site which Gibson bought from Steve Krenz our guitar teacher.. I like to learn as much as I can.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
I've had problems with input jacks coming loose but I was able to tighten them with no problem. I think they were rotating jacks.

;>)/

Alty

Reaction score
Sounds a bit convoluted just to replace a part that is one of the easiest to replace, as with anything mechanical it is prone to failure but any suggestion that 'many overseas guitars have very poor jacks.' is laughable and any tech who said that to me wouldn't be getting my business...and whilst it sounds pedantic, it's an 'Output Jack' not input but just me being me....:shock:

Just in case you didn't know, Epiphones have a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

:)

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
The weird thing on my input jack that failed was that after the nut popped off, I could still put it back on, but it would just jump threads when you tried to get it tighter. The nut wasn't cracked, just stretched out of shape. If you put it on lightly, it would pop off again just by gently tugging sideways on the cord. Never had a problem with any other jacks on any other epis (I own a few) before or since.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I replace the jack when I replace the rest of the electronics.
Lately I've been favoring Pure Tone jacks.
Pure-Tone2.jpg
I edited out what I consider marketing hype.

The better mechanical connection is obvious and nice feeling. The redundant contact points should reduce crackle down the road which I'd already started having a slight issue with on the Switchcraft. It seemed like an obvious improvement over the standard open frame design from 1878.
Pure Tone claims a bunch of stuff* about increased signal and better tone. I didn't buy it for or because of that. Mechanically it made sense to me, it was inexpensive, and it felt like a quality part, so why not try it?

*more accurately bull****

I bought several on sale a while back, and I wish I bought more, because now some of the retailers want stupid money for them. When I bought mine they worked out to be roughly a dollar more than a Switchcraft but now... They're damn good, but look for a deal.

BGood

Reaction score
Never any problems apart from a contact point getting loose. Bend it back to shape and voilà. Even on the cheapest of all, that's the last part I would think about upgrading.

Latest posts