Epiphone Faded G-400 -Vs Gibson SG

• Thread starter A_ChordWithNoName
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BGood

Reaction score
I have several G400 Vintage, the Korean kind. Last week I went to refresh my memory about how it compares to a Gibson Standard SG. Not impressed by the Gibson at all. I didn't plug it in, my test was about playability, handling, feeling, because everything else could be upgrated if you wanted so.

Can't vouch for a specific Faded G400, they can be very different one from another, but once it gets a good setup, there won't be that much blindfolded difference.

Reaction score
I have several G400 Vintage, the Korean kind. Last week I went to refresh my memory about how it compares to a Gibson Standard SG. Not impressed by the Gibson at all. I didn't plug it in, my test was about playability, handling, feeling, because everything else could be upgrated if you wanted so.

Can't vouch for a specific Faded G400, they can be very different one from another, but once it gets a good setup, there won't be that much blindfolded difference.
I take it the Gibson price is not worth it
Thanks BGood

Raiyn

Reaction score
I take it the Gibson price is not worth it
Some could argue the point with you, but I won't.

In my experience, you can build a G400 out to your tastes for FAR less than a Gibby SG and nobody will give you crap for modding it.

That said, I wouldn't turn down a nice Gibby Diablo Cut or HP model if it were handed to me, but I'm a home gamer, not a pro.
me-i-just-got-paid-today-bills-nah-i-just-3441783.jpg

DaveInSoCal

Reaction score
I have two Epi G-400's, one I totally modded out, the other is stock. They are both good guitars and worth the price. I have three Gibson SG's, one stock Standard, one Special with upgraded electronics / pickups and one Future Tribute completely modded out.
I would have to say, IMHO the Gibsons are much better guitars. They are thinner and lighter and for me have a better feel and playability over all.
One issie I have with the G-400 is neck dive, the Gibsons dont have this problem.

The Future is quickly becoming my main gigging guitar alongside an HSS Strat. Both the SG and the Strat have Seymour Duncan Black Winter pickups so they have a very heavy sound. The Epi's are nice but I don't really play them these days.

Last edited:

Latest posts