Epiphone Les Paul Custom…Opinions?

• Thread starter 3bolt79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

3bolt79

Reaction score
My Custom Koa arrived today, but I had to sent it back. One of the pickup rings was chewed up, and the Gold plating was messed up on the pups. They are sending me another in the morning.

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting one. Are the pickups any good? And is the supposed mahogany top an actual cap?

White or black?
I have a 2021 Epiphone Les Paul Custom in black. Mine has the solid mahogany body, no maple cap. That was a selling point for me, because I had a 2007 Gibson Custom Shop R7BB ‘57 Reissue LP Custom that I absolutely loved. Unfortunately I let it go because it was near 11 pounds. My ‘21 Epi is right around 8.8 lbs….a little better. That said, it is a killer guitar from nose to tail. The ProBuckers are great sounding pickups, in my opinion. I own Gibsons with BurstBuckers, and these PBs hang right there with them. Ebony fretboard looks and feels great too. Mine has the large diamond inlay on the headstock. Some of the first run of this newer release had the small inlay, which I didn’t like. Only things I changed on mine were the tuner knobs….went woth gold keystones….and I made a bone nut for it, complete with lacquer touch up to make it look factory. It’s a keeper!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    825.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    808.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    808.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 5

3bolt79

Reaction score
Yeah, I ordered from AMS. So far, their returns have been hassle free. If they could have just sent the pup ring, I would have replaced it. It should be here Monday.

DHart

Reaction score
Yeah, I ordered from AMS. So far, their returns have been hassle free. If they could have just sent the pup ring, I would have replaced it. It should be here Monday.
Good call on going with the KOA. What a great look. And the latest Customs and moderns are just great guitars. You will love it.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Strangely, my wife gave me a sideways glance for the first time ever. Probably because I have bought three guitars and two amplifiers in the last 3 or 4 weeks. I really need to slow down.

Based on experiences from my past I generally interpret that as a warning shot across the bow. If not heeded the next one will be closer with an order halt and prepare to be boarded which usually means your checkbook or credit lines have been restricted. ;)

Last edited:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
They never seem to do that. I suppose it's because they're only a sales organization with a couple of warehouses full of product to move. It would cost them far less to send out a part than to pay for return shipping and ship another but they don't stock parts.

I had a similar experience with either AMS or zZounds with a Tele Thinline with a bad switch. Same deal. I could've replaced a switch but they insisted on an exchange and shipped out another before the one I had was even picked up for return. It's how they do it.

3bolt79

Reaction score
I was going to get a Regular Custom. I had a white one, but the D neck on it had a little too much shoulder, and caused pain on the bony part of my thumb, so I sold it to a friend.

The Koa that I sent back didn’t have that problem, so hopefully it’s replacement won’t either.

The Koa has a unique look. Someone in another thread said that Epiphone told him that it was an actual top. It is not. I took out the neck pickup to check. The top is mahogany with a paper-thin veneer. But at least the back isn’t veneered.

I am going to hopefully be selling my Aria PE 350 this week to a friends niece. I have a newer Ibanez Artist that I may let go of as well. The Epiphones just seem to do the Les Paul thing better than those two guitars. Although those two are really cool in their own right.

I don’t really need 8 Lester style guitars, and I am hopefully going to add an another Gibson to the herd by the end of the year. So yeah, I need to get rid of the impostors.

Last edited:

3bolt79

Reaction score
They never seem to do that. I suppose it's because they're only a sales organization with a couple of warehouses full of product to move. It would cost them far less to send out a part than to pay for return shipping and ship another but they don't stock parts.

I had a similar experience with either AMS or zZounds with a Tele Thinline with a bad switch. Same deal. I could've replaced a switch but they insisted on an exchange and shipped out another before the one I had was even picked up for return. It's how they do it.
Yeah, AMS is great. They did manage to get me some parts for a Kramer I had.

Also, I had an Ovation that I bought as a minor blem that actually needed a new pickup. They couldn’t get the part, and Ovation’s customer service wasn’t even staffed, during Covid. So AMS sent me a brand new, unopened guitar, at the blem price. I thought that was really nice.

Last edited:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Yeah, AMS is great. They did manage to get me some parts for a Kramer I had.

Also, I had an Ovation that I bought as a minor blem that actually needed a new pickup. They couldn’t get the part, and Ovation’s customer service wasn’t even staffed, during Covid. So AMS sent me a brand new, unopened guitar, at the blem price. I thought that was really nice.
I've done business with AMS but more often with zZounds who seem to share the same warehouses and inventory. Other than that I don't know whether or not their affiliated with one another but their business model is much the same. They also rep some lines other don't.

Since I enjoy using OPM without paying interest it's handy to be able to get 12 month payment plans when I want and both offer that. I put both in somewhat the same category as I do MF but have found I prefer them more for pricier purchases when I can still get a good price from them.

But there are others out there I would probably do more business with if I was more of a high end gear buyer. Wildwood whose nearby would be one.

Sydgrrl

Reaction score
These are excellent quality guitars, I bought the Koa one before it was discontinued. My only beef is the neck is slim, maybe too slim for me. Otherwise, the thing sounds killer and plays better than some of my Gibsons...
As for Black or White, when there is a tough choice, I always say get both.

EpiLPCustomKOA.jpeg

syco

Reaction score
These are excellent quality guitars, I bought the Koa one before it was discontinued. My only beef is the neck is slim, maybe too slim for me. Otherwise, the thing sounds killer and plays better than some of my Gibsons...
As for Black or White, when there is a tough choice, I always say get both.

View attachment 22538
Welcome !!!

Latest posts