Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Studio or Studio Deluxe?

• Thread starter chuckusa
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chuckusa

Reaction score
Hello out there. I was wondering, if what I have read is true and i'm pretty sure it is. I want to know if the three really are pretty much the same guitar. I'm talking about the

Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Studio & Studio Deluxe.

From what I gathered they all have the same pickups, same body & neck wood and the studio deluxe has vintage Kluson tuning machines the other two have Grover machines. The standard and studio deluxe have block inlay, the studio has dot inlay.

Besides a few differences in their look will each guitar play and sound just about the same? Christmas is coming and I have been good this year and the Mrs. is going to let me get a better guitar. (Playing a Squier right now)

I kinda have my heart set on a standard though I know for like $50 less I can still get basicly the same guitar being a studio or studio deluxe. Any thoughts?

Cam.man67

Reaction score
You’re in the right ballpark. I’ve had both a Studio and a Standard (PlusTop, non Pro), and they are very similar guitars aside from flash. Pickup are the same, as are tuners, hardware, wiring, etc. the Standard was a heavier guitar which I attribute to the maple cap (though the flamey bits are just veneer), and did sound a bit darker. both are nice, serviceable instruments. If you like the looks of the Standard, go for it! Just don’t think that it’s a drastically different guitar than the Studio. I for one hate uncovered pickups, so on my Studio I wound up adding pickup covers.

Also, you want Grovers. Nobody should ever pass those up for the Epi Klusons.

Cam.man67

Reaction score
Pics, because I don’t mind showing off.;)Both wound up getting neck p94s...I’m not much of a fan of humbucker necks so this is an upgrade I do on almost every 2 HB I get.

Standard PlusTop
36997025986_5de7f6cf79_k.jpg
36997025986_5de7f6cf79_k.jpg

Studio

40741289895_48ceec967b_o.jpg

chuckusa

Reaction score
Wow those look great! Thanks for the reply. Grovers hrmm I had a few guitars in the past with them and they did tune nice. Im so looking forward to playing some blues on an Epi. I had an Epiphone Les Paul 100 last year and it had honey burst color. Man I fell in love with the honey burst and black on brown tobacco burst. Also I fell in love with the epi les paul too... So much that I can't wait to get another one.

BowerR64

Reaction score
Ive had a few studios, a studio delux and a few standards.

I sold the studios, kept the studio delux and kept the standards.

I like the studio delux its my beater guitar looks nice but the older classic emerald looking tuners are sloppy i prever the grover ones one the standards.

IMO the standards have better action, i think the nuts are vut better and the overall finish i like better.

I think i got my Studio delux used off GC for $180. most studios and studio pros ive got for $250.

King B

Reaction score
I've had my used LP Studio for a month. I like the Alnico Classics. Of course they sound better than LPii screamers that I'm used to but I have Probuckers standing by to install $oon. I have enjoyed several LPii. I wanted a Custom. It seems like the nearest comparison from a technical standpoint would be, LP2 to a Studio to a Custom. 12 degree radius neck on these.20181104_221213.jpg

BGood

Reaction score
Yeah, good one. Don't worry if it escapes you, Standards are ever present on the used market.

Mark

Reaction score
Here's my Standard and Studio Deluxe. Not even similar except for shape. And okay, the Standard has a Floyd. LOL

101-0275.jpg

It's a Plustop too
101-0062.jpg

Last edited:

chuckusa

Reaction score
I am actually thinking if the time comes and guitar centers plentiful stock of Epi Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro guitars are still on hand, I might go that route... The traditional pro epi les pauls have the two volume knob coil splits for the pups right?

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
I am actually thinking if the time comes and guitar centers plentiful stock of Epi Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro guitars are still on hand, I might go that route... The traditional pro epi les pauls have the two volume knob coil splits for the pups right?

Yup. The only thing is that new models may have something other than rosewood fretboards - if that's important to you.

Mark

Reaction score
Man that standard is sweet! And that studio looks pretty healthy too...

The Studio is a 98 Korean. The Standard is a 2010. I understand the Studio's now are different. Mine is thinner, like a Strat. Now they are normal Les Paul thickness.

Latest posts