Epiphone Sheraton II Korean circa 93

• Thread starter AJ80G
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AJ80G

Reaction score
Hi, just joined the forum and was hoping someone could help. I’ve got an old Korean Sheraton S9320065, that’s been in the loft since the late 90’s. In perfect condition, but badly needs rewiring. Only one pickup works. When I search the serial number, I can’t get a hit at all on it. My question is: could this be counterfeit? My dad got it for me in the 90s from ‘a guy’, but don’t *think* anyone would have been making fake ones of these back then. If it isn’t legit, it’s probably not worth going to the hassle of getting new pickups and rewiring (I don’t think). I’ve added a picture. Really appreciative of any help.

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 31

AJ80G

Reaction score
Thanks, I read through that, but mine seems to be a digit short for some reason. Im wondering if they just put 2 for feb instead of 02... Really dont know

AJ80G

Reaction score
Heres some more pics

Attachments

• IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 18

AJ80G

Reaction score
My other thought is that it was a 'second' as there is very slight misalignment on mother of pearl insert on 1st fret

BGood

Reaction score
Old Koreans had misalignment on all kind of parts. That is a nice legit one.

Before you go play in there to replace electronics, I'll bet anything that it's a dirty toggle switch that cuts off one pup. Get a can of Deoxit or specific electronic DW40 and generously spray at the base of the toggle while switching it un and down.

WD40.jpg
Do that a few times and there's a very good chance that everything will work fine then. Once you're at it, remove the volume and tone knobs and do the same for the pot posts, Spray at their base so the cleaner seeps down in the mechanism, while spinning the posts.

Darkness

Reaction score
Thanks, I read through that, but mine seems to be a digit short for some reason. Im wondering if they just put 2 for feb instead of 02... Really dont know
If I add a 0 there this is what pulls up. You may be right.

Your guitar was made at the
Peerless Plant, Korea
on February, 1993
Production Number: 6065

AJ80G

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Great tips. I thought it looked too beautiful to be a fake. Def trying that tip tomorrow and will report back!!!!!!

TWANG

Reaction score
I have a 1991 sheraton II, Korean, Samick.
SNo. S4114391.
Rather heavily modified.
I'll speak to the rewiring. On mine, I have swapped pickups several times. And changed the pots etc. as well.
It's a BITCholycow what a drag,
Do not trust anyone who says it's easy or not that bad.

You have to do it all by fishing the pup wires off the mounted pups into the body.
all the pots jack switches go through the F holes.
You have to have small pots.
extreme patience and care is required to not pull a wire loose, etc.

I hated it so much I cut it down to one vol one tone. which I really like anyway!

So that's what I say.
On the guitar itself, you talk about if it's worth it.
Well, **** me!
Mine plays like the day I bought it. Disliking the pickups was on me.

I don't think I've ever run into a guitar this solid, actually.
It's been knocked off the stand by a mad vacuumer, it's been on the stand year round for over a decade.
Still, there's not a ding on it.
I wouldn't trade or sell ol' Blondy for nothing.
So.. reconsider your concern about it being worth an electronics upgrade.
Good luck!

PS: that is the color offered when I bought mine. And I really like it... kinda jealous, in fact. I should have bought two!

TWANG

Reaction score
I've been saying 91... which is when I bought it--!!!!
shit! I'm a time traveller. a victim of Epiphone trickery. or merely mistaken.

Maybe I got the 91 from the serial number and confused it with the date of manu?
I'll assume you checked the epi ser. no. site. I've lost track of that!
anyway good catch.. jerk!!!!!!!
:naughty:

Rick Prouty

Reaction score
Hi, just joined the forum and was hoping someone could help. I’ve got an old Korean Sheraton S9320065, that’s been in the loft since the late 90’s. In perfect condition, but badly needs rewiring. Only one pickup works. When I search the serial number, I can’t get a hit at all on it. My question is: could this be counterfeit? My dad got it for me in the 90s from ‘a guy’, but don’t *think* anyone would have been making fake ones of these back then. If it isn’t legit, it’s probably not worth going to the hassle of getting new pickups and rewiring (I don’t think). I’ve added a picture. Really appreciative of any help.
I have an '86
I have an '88 Samick Sheraton II in a natural finish. I bought it new, and had a long dislike of the bridge pick up. I was playing it mainly as a second guitar, and most of the stuff I was playing at the time was fine using the neck pup. I have a Kalamazoo Heritage that was my main guitar at the time. I decided, finally, to have the pups changed out, and have my fave wiring mods done. I had Duncan Hot Rods put in with coil splitting for each on the volumes, and a phase switch on one of the tones, all on push/pull pots. Got it back from my tech guy, and haven't looked back. It gets jazzy 335 type sounds, to tele twang, and looks good doing it!

Latest posts