Epis with repaired headstock or necks value?

• Thread starter Rick67
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick67

Reaction score
So is there a formula for figuring out how much a guitar w/repaired neck is worth compared to a non repaired one?

I recently bought an LP with repaired neck and was curious what it might be worth (if anything) in the future.

IGRocker

Reaction score
With most Epi's, if unrepaired I wouldn't pay more than half of what it would be worth if it wasn't broken. Fixed? I don't really know, but I wouldn't pay more than 66-75% of the value as if it weren't broken

Imerkat

Reaction score
Depends how rare and popular the guitar is. Figure out how much it goes for new vs used. you can expect the same price difference between Used vs neck break repaired.

personal example from experience:
Epiphone Wilshire:
New: $550 Used: $300
Used w/neck break repair at the heel: $155

BGood

Reaction score
Got a G400 Vintage with good headstock repair, can't feel it at all.
For 100 Canadian $
As cheap as it gets.

Bring%20It%20On%20Home_zpswigqk2fl.jpg

Rick67

Reaction score
Depends how rare and popular the guitar is. Figure out how much it goes for new vs used. you can expect the same price difference between Used vs neck break repaired.

personal example from experience:
Epiphone Wilshire:
New: $550 Used: $300
Used w/neck break repair at the heel: $155

So what would this be worth?

20160523_115530.jpg

Imerkat

Reaction score
So what would this be worth?

View attachment 2504

Well i'm not a pro music dealer by any means. I can only tell you what i would buy it or sell it for. (not a big signature model fan, doesn't mean much to me) I would ask for $450 but I would want to buy it for $275.00. So i would suspect it would sell for something in the middle. if that helps take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

BGood

Reaction score
I found one on Reverb for $550, so half that ? So $275 max ?

BGood

Reaction score
How is the repair ? If it is impeccable ?
It would be easier to sell to someone who will be able to test it first hand. In an ad, a broken headstock is what it says. In person, it's different.

You want to sell it ?

Rick67

Reaction score
No don't want to sell it, it's the best looking and playing LP I've ever had. Just trying to figure out if I payed a fair price. The guitar was repaired by glue injection then clamping. The headstock was cracked not broken completely off.

Imerkat

Reaction score
No don't want to sell it, it's the best looking and playing LP I've ever had. Just trying to figure out if I payed a fair price. The guitar was repaired by glue injection then clamping. The headstock was cracked not broken completely off.

That's pretty much the price i thought i would sell for. if the repair is unnoticeable you made out great!

BGood

Reaction score
That's pretty much the price i thought i would sell for. if the repair is unnoticeable you made out great!
Yep.
Now that we all agree, you have to show it to us in all different lights and angles, so we can appreciate our verdict.
Close-up of the repair ?

Rick67

Reaction score
I cant capture the hairline finish crack w/my cell phone cam.

sliberty

Reaction score
This is my opinion only....

I'd be reluctant to buy any broken and repaired instrument unless it was enormously cheap. Vintage Gibsons loose a ton of value when broken and repaired. Some buy them because they are the only vintage guitars that they will ever be able to afford , and I get that. But when talking about more affordable instruments, why take the chance on stability / resale value? If an Epi which costs under $800 (which is most of them) is both used and broken / repaired, I would personally rather buy a used non-broken version of it for $500-600, as compared to one that has been broken and repaired for, say $300. The savings is not significant enough for the risks. With ordinary EPis that sell new for $500 or less, the gap is even smaller, and really not worth the trouble.

I am only speaking about how I would treat this, not what the market will do. There is always a buyer for every instrument. So your milage may vary.

Latest posts