ES-335 Figured or ES-335 PRO limited edition

• Thread starter SteveT
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SteveT

Reaction score
In the market for a 335 type and narrowed it down to either Epiphone ES-335 Figured or ES-335 PRO limited edition. Bought a ES-335 PRO limited edition a week ago but it arrived with a cracked neck. Is there a big difference between the two besides the figured top?

60CycleHum

Reaction score
From all I can tell, there’s no difference between the two other than the flame veneer. If it floats your boat, by all means, go. I love my plain top 2019 335 Pro in heritage cherry. Other than the new headstock shape, it appears all electronics and pickups are the same. And, interestingly, the official Epi site no longer lists the 335 Pro as an available guitar. A 339 Pro model is available.

Last edited:

SteveT

Reaction score
Thanks. MF has the 335 PRO limited edition. I bought one and it arrived with a cracked neck and wasn't in my hands more then 30 seconds.

60CycleHum

Reaction score
Thanks. MF has the 335 PRO limited edition. I bought one and it arrived with a cracked neck and wasn't in my hands more then 30 seconds.

That’s a shame about yours. The 335 Pros available are probably simply the last in stock and will sell through and be done with. Are they offering the flame top as a replacement or did you get a refund? Personally, I prefer the new, less-gigantic headstock on the new ones.

SteveT

Reaction score
Refund only. They would put in an order for a new one but charge me for it while the return was inspected. So Ten days for the refund to hit my CC. I decided to wait and watch through the holidays. The box it came is was not the original. Almost like a case box that they stuffed to paper and bubble wrap and had a crossed out label for Epiphone USA to a NY city store. I'm liking the new head stock too. Thanks.

60CycleHum

Reaction score
I’ll admit to being partial to iced tea burst flame tops. Fender “Plus Top” Strat, MiM, 2013. Super guit. Plays so sweet. Neck modern C but almost a little more carved (think ‘60 Les Paul).

506A7C99-82AA-4ECC-84E7-B89B02003374.jpeg

8D6E0FEF-6737-4D35-BC24-F618D19DDC1D.jpeg

Last edited:

ou812

Reaction score
Just got a figured one in Raspberry Iced Tea. Beautiful guitar! Yes, the finish hooked me. I also liked the “inspired by Gibson” idea of using historical body specs (although I admit it’s not clear exactly what that means lol). Plays like a dream though!
There was unfortunately some damage. Since these don’t ship with a case, they put a foam shipping block over the strings from bridge to but. I also, as a force of habit, shook the package gently and got a aid to side wiggle. Didn’t think much about it till later I noticed that the strings had actually made small dents in the frets!!! The strings were also bent. Upon further inspection I found string indentations in the foam shipping block.

Also, the relief wasn’t quite to my liking so I gave it a little more to silence the buzz and played it for a week while waiting to get it to my setup guy. I was thinking I might return it but I really had fallen in love and didn’t want to.
Setup guy checked it out said it played beautifully and said he couldn’t charge me because he didn’t really do anything but have fun playing it! I asked if he noticed the frets and he said yes but he didn’t feel them so not to worry. I said I did feel them and he said You felt the bad strings; I replaced two. So by the time I got there he had lightly dressed the frets. He said the guitar deserved it!

So that’s how much I love mine! And my setup guy!!! Note that this is the only lonely non-American instrument in my wall, so while that was a big step, so was $3600 for Gibby's cheapest iced tea! I’m happy!

Latest posts