Famous/Popular Les Paul Iced Tea Players?

audacia_verum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a new 2021 Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60s in Iced Tea, have had it about 2 months so far and absolutely loving it..
The two attached pics are of my LP, though in person the colour is closer to the first picture as in some lighter it looks more red (like the 2nd picture).

My question is, does anyone know of any popular guitarists from the 60s onwards that had Gibson Les Paul's in Iced Tea, or at least a similar looking finish?
Obviously Iced Tea was depending on how the burst turned out back then and how it aged as there were only 1 burst which all looked slightly different.

So far I have came across Duane Allman's '59 'Hot Lanta' Les Paul which does look extremely similar, also Slash used an Iced Tea looking Les Paul around '04 during some Velvet Revolver shows which also looks similar.

Just wondering this for modifying purposes as I can see how a guitar similar looking to mine would look without pickguard/pickup covers/different looks etc. Also was just wondering out of interest.

Thank-you for your help

Attachments

• 277597812_355963299822212_8024654307194275697_n - Copy.jpg
    277597812_355963299822212_8024654307194275697_n - Copy.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 277981110_1317715398724043_6984245132618951316_n.jpg
    277981110_1317715398724043_6984245132618951316_n.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 10

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Is this guy considered famous/popular? :rofl:

Slash-2.jpg

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Joking aside though, and as you already mentioned, the modern day iced tea really is just a recreation of a faded burst (whether that be a darkened cherry burst or a faded tobacco burst or somewhere in between). Rockstars that have anything that even looks remotely like that, aside from Slash, usually own them as vintage pieces and they're not really going to modify them much.

JJN also recently got a Murphy's Lab faded tobacco one, but his still has a good amount of dark brown in it.

Paul Stanley also collects bursts. This one here has faded into more or less an iced tea like finish.

audacia_verum

Reaction score
o
Joking aside though, and as you already mentioned, the modern day iced tea really is just a recreation of a faded burst (whether that be a darkened cherry burst or a faded tobacco burst or somewhere in between). Rockstars that have anything that even looks remotely like that, aside from Slash, usually own them as vintage pieces and they're not really going to modify them much.

JJN also recently got a Murphy's Lab faded tobacco one, but his still has a good amount of dark brown in it.

Paul Stanley also collects bursts. This one here has faded into more or less an iced tea like finish.

okay great, good to know.
Thanks

Reaction score
I know this thread is a year old, but I thought I'd drop a little information that you may or may not know about.

All the different "bursts" that are out there now are just recreations of the natural process of fading that has happened to the original 1958 through 1960 Les Pauls.

The dye that was used in those years what an aniline dye that was very reactive to UV (ultraviolet light, basically sunshine). When any of those guitars got exposed through windows, playing outside, or under artificial light that had a UV component to it, it caused fading of the dye.

The interesting part of it is there was only one type of sunburst from the factory, and that was the cherry sunburst (which they just called "sunburst"). What caused all the different forms of burst we see now is, how much each individual guitar was exposed to UV and one other thing...how much dye was used on a specific guitar.

The guitars you see with a "Tobacco" , "Ice Tea", or "Lemon" burst is due to a higher amount of dye used on them. From what I've read, the darker tones like Tobacco and Ice Tea, usually had something that the factory saw in or on the wood tops (like staining or discoloration) and they used a bit more dye to cover it up. This would explain the darker shades that are seen in those type of tops.

Anyway, hope that helps explain some of the variations that you may see on the real 50's vintage guitars and what you see on the reissues.

Latest posts