IBG SG Standard's neck

• Thread starter BGood
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JY1978

Reaction score
I have the same guitar. It is absolutely a slim neck. Played a Gibson in a store and it had a much fatter neck.

CAD 250 is a steal!

Equalphone

Reaction score
I play so many “sample“ guitars that sometimes I lose track… But as I remember, (necks are important to me) they are not uber-skinny. They are definitely not like the ‘61 reissue from 2011.

The other issue for me is the profile itself: the Epi D shape has taken on a very flat back on the lower side of the neck lately. Much as I enjoy a very skinny neck, the flat rear and abrupt shoulders makes them uncomfortable to me.

But it might be worth trying. The combination of thickness and profile is always a very personal thing. If it’s only $250 and you can flip it for the same, it’s worth a shot.

pchilson

Reaction score
I play so many “sample“ guitars that sometimes I lose track… But as I remember, (necks are important to me) they are not uber-skinny. They are definitely not like the ‘61 reissue from 2011.

The other issue for me is the profile itself: the Epi D shape has taken on a very flat back on the lower side of the neck lately. Much as I enjoy a very skinny neck, the flat rear and abrupt shoulders makes them uncomfortable to me.

But it might be worth trying. The combination of thickness and profile is always a very personal thing. If it’s only $250 and you can flip it for the same, it’s worth a shot.
This has been my bugaboo with Epiphones...its why I can never seem to hang on to them...I'm not picky on necks but these are the exception...

BGood

Reaction score
This has been my bugaboo with Epiphones...its why I can never seem to hang on to them...I'm not picky on necks but these are the exception...
You have to chase the ones with bigger necks. I have a 2006 LP Jr 57 RI with a big fat neck. My 2010 LP Trad has the same chunky 50's neck (my preferred neck for the moment). Got a 2007 LP Ultra with a medium C shape, the cheapo bolt-on neck 2011 Special 1 LP has the same.

In recent ones of the IBG series, there are quite a few with thick C necks. LP Special P90, LP Jr, LP Standard '59, LP Standard 50's, and some signature ones, can't remember which.

pchilson

Reaction score
You have to chase the ones with bigger necks. I have a 2006 LP Jr 57 RI with a big fat neck. My 2010 LP Trad has the same chunky 50's neck (my preferred neck for the moment). Got a 2007 LP Ultra with a medium C shape, the cheapo bolt-on neck 2011 Special 1 LP has the same.

In recent ones of the IBG series, there are quite a few with thick C necks. LP Special P90, LP Jr, LP Standard '59, LP Standard 50's, and some signature ones, can't remember which.
Yeah, I have and will continue to have the IBG '59 lp...I like the 50s necks and the C necks...I just can't handle for long the flat D necks...I have found some alternative choices though...

Latest posts