Fender American Vintage II 1951 Telecaster: Opinions

• Thread starter Mike M
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M

Reaction score
I know I know, we don't need another thread on this, but 18 months after they came out, asking for any thoughts and opinions.

Have one in a local shop, played it for the first time, liked it, but looking for any input, good or bad, from anyone.

spupilup

Reaction score
My AO '50's is one of my favorite guitars I've ever owned. I don't think there's a ton of difference between it and the '51 AVII with the glaring exception being the 7 1/4 neck and the tremendous price increase. If you're ok with the price and want the 7 1/4 neck I say go for it. They are every bit as nice as the AO's, maybe even better. Otherwise, if you can live with a 9 1/2 neck, there are always AO's on Reverb for a substantial savings. You could even look at the AV's from 2012-2017. They have the 7 1/4 neck. The only complaints I've heard about them is the nitro is especially prone to chipping. Regardless, the AO and AV's from that period represent comparable performance with the potential for huge savings.

I bought my AO in 2018 and the price was $1500 out the door, that's 50% less than what an AVII goes for these days.

Mike Hickey

Reaction score
I like the vibe of the vintage thing and I have a vintage strat, but I have to admit I like the modern necks, fret board radius, and pickups. If it works for you I'd get it.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I've never owned an AV version of a '51 Tele but I did own a '51 Custom Shop Nocaster some years ago. My experience with it was they are the best of the best as long as you love vintage specs.

spupilup

Reaction score
I like the vibe of the vintage thing and I have a vintage strat, but I have to admit I like the modern necks, fret board radius, and pickups. If it works for you I'd get it.

I love the whole '50's vibe with the exception of the 7 1/4" radius. That's why I love my AO as much as I do. I remember everyone trashing the AO's because of its inaccurate radius. Before the AO's, if I wanted a 9 1/2" I'd have had to go to CS to get one. And, from what I had been reading, the vast majority of CS jobs were with 9 1/2" radii. Shortly after they came out I bought mine and got a great deal on it. I'll probably die with it.

But, just like you said, if the AVII speaks to the OP, grab it. Yes, it's expensive but in ten years it won't be an issue. All you'll remember is the joy it gave you over the years. People don't blink an eye at CS prices or any of the boutique bolt ons..

Mike Hickey

Reaction score
I love the whole '50's vibe with the exception of the 7 1/4" radius. That's why I love my AO as much as I do. I remember everyone trashing the AO's because of its inaccurate radius. Before the AO's, if I wanted a 9 1/2" I'd have had to go to CS to get one. And, from what I had been reading, the vast majority of CS jobs were with 9 1/2" radii. Shortly after they came out I bought mine and got a great deal on it. I'll probably die with it.

But, just like you said, if the AVII speaks to the OP, grab it. Yes, it's expensive but in ten years it won't be an issue. All you'll remember is the joy it gave you over the years. People don't blink an eye at CS prices or any of the boutique bolt ons..
Yeah and if you end up sticking with it, you're going to bond with it and not having any limitations. Better to have 1 good guitar than a closet full of junk. I had only 1 guitar for 28 years, a really good strat and I could do anything with it. I knew like the back of my hand.

Latest posts