Fender and Squier 2021 Pre orders

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
First thing, I'm going to suggest starting a new topic, there may be some one that has experienced this exact same issue and might suggest something I missed below. I'll probably copypasta my stuff below over, but at least in a new thread it'll be searchable for the next guy.

You do realize this is like asking a mechanic to diagnose a car over the phone right? :cheers:

I'm at a loss at to why your pickups would "creak". They're not in the loop mechanically speaking, so descriptively that's not super helpful.

How low are you going? It ain't a Floyd Rose and you shouldn't be dive bombing it. It's more for a subtle "shimmer" type of effect.
It could be the spring sliding in the pocket, slop in the bridge / post relationship, a wiggling saddle caused by drag (one reason to use a roller bridge) any number of things that a reasonable guy could think of, but I couldn't be specific without getting my hands on it and asking you to replicate the situation where the symptoms appear.
Unhelpful, I know, but honest.

Back to topic: I'm going to give the stock pickups some time after I do the predetermined day one mods before I make any decisions on their fate. That said, if I don't love them, I've got an idea up my sleeve for something awesome (and remarkably color coordinated).

I had the same thoughts after I posted this. I will start a new thread with pics etc… :)

Pat

Raiyn

Reaction score
Back on topic:
I got a call from my Sweetwater rep yesterday. It's been pushed back another couple weeks - global shortages etc.

So, to stay engaged I managed to find a stripped body image so I knew what I was getting into shielding wise.
Screenshot_2021-06-09-16-00-41 (1).jpg
Nothing horrible on that front, but holy crap there are a lot of screw holes in that thing! Guess I need to refresh my stock of stainless screws.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Are you planning on replacing the wood screws in the neck with machined bolts and receivers?

Pat
I hadn't. There's a couple reasons for that though.
  1. Warranty. Anything I change voids the warranty on that piece. So if I mess with the electronics, that's done but the body / neck is fine and vice versa
  2. I'm not that great with the carbohydrate foam. I'd farm that operation out if I really wanted to go there because that's a key structural item.
It's not like this is a pool cue where I'm going to be breaking it down every night. At most, I might take it off to add a shim (I've got some nice walnut) should it need one after the bridge installation. After that it oughta be fine for the rest of my days.

What I'm doing is replacing all the pickguard screws etc with Stainless since those tend to be a bit cheap and prone to rust.

Biddlin

Reaction score
After that it oughta be fine for the rest of my days.

What I'm doing is replacing all the pickguard screws etc with Stainless since those tend to be a bit cheap and prone to rust.
I kinda like a little patina on the brightwork.

Space1999

Reaction score
I hadn't. There's a couple reasons for that though.
  1. Warranty. Anything I change voids the warranty on that piece. So if I mess with the electronics, that's done but the body / neck is fine and vice versa
  2. I'm not that great with the carbohydrate foam. I'd farm that operation out if I really wanted to go there because that's a key structural item.
It's not like this is a pool cue where I'm going to be breaking it down every night. At most, I might take it off to add a shim (I've got some nice walnut) should it need one after the bridge installation. After that it oughta be fine for the rest of my days.

Gotcha. :)

Pat

Raiyn

Reaction score
I kinda like a little patina on the brightwork.
Patina as in a bit of dulling, not fully polished, used... I can roll with to an extent.

Rust as in not maintained... No sir, I don't like it. The stainless screws aren't blingy chrome things, they'll just stay the same shade as a plebeian spoon. Unnoticed and unchanging.

Zero

Reaction score
I thought I was the only one that got stickers specifically for my guitars!!
This one is on my goldtop
FB2B4DC6-ABD3-4E01-85E9-47EA2B4F5AFE.jpeg
and this one is going on my white custom when she gets here...
13707EB5-05ED-4559-A37D-C78D6F0D1D89.jpeg

Raiyn

Reaction score
I thought I was the only one that got stickers specifically for my guitars!!
This one is on my goldtop
View attachment 15073
and this one is going on my white custom when she gets here...
View attachment 15074
I get stickers specifically for the cases, related to the character / theme of the guitar. I'm more apt to do "hard" accessory mods for the actual guitar like the engraved neckplate on Killer Frost, or the truss rod cover and switch ring on The Lady.

I haven't finalized my artwork selection for GIR, (life happens) but I'm planning a neckplate for that guitar. In that same vein, if my vendor offers it I'll have one done up for the Jag too.

Raiyn

Reaction score
R.86be2e1982a28c46d0876e83eeca6a15

Got another text from my Sweetwater rep.

Another "two weeks".

He threw in a shirt.

w00t. :beer:

Raiyn

Reaction score
R.86be2e1982a28c46d0876e83eeca6a15

Got another text from my Sweetwater rep.

Another "two weeks".

He threw in a shirt.

w00t. :beer:
Two months later and I'm still sitting here with a box of parts... and another two weeks.

Bought a Wronski style switch plate for it though:
st6pe5wfxw1zicns41fj.jpg

I might keep it as a "Marr" style, but then again options are cool.

Last edited:

Biddlin

Reaction score
Two months later and I'm still sitting here with a box of parts... and another two weeks.

Bought a Wronski style switch plate for it though:
st6pe5wfxw1zicns41fj.jpg

I might keep it as a "Marr" style, but then again, options are cool.
I suspect the Mustang I'm waiting on is parked in one of the dozens of container ships parked off the California coast.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I suspect the Mustang I'm waiting on is parked in one of the dozens of container ships parked off the California coast.
Yeah... same. One of the Sweetwater reps I was texting with (mine is on vacation) even appeared to cop to that possibility this week. I had mentioned that this is one of those times I'm glad I ordered from Sweetwater because of the 55 point inspection, because if it's sitting in a container - that's gonna be a nightmare. Probably the truest test of that roasted maple neck it'll ever see.

Space1999

Reaction score
Awesome Raiyn!

I know you are going to have a blast and I will be tuned in to your NGD and mod threads!!

I got a chance to play one of my band mates new Midnight Blue American Professional II Tele.

I thought it played and sounded very good. The action out of the box was a bit to high for my spoiled tastes.

The fret wire was actually kinda tall, just begging to be sanded down. :naughty:

Luckily, I don’t mind dressing my own frets on a $600 Epi. But a $1500 Tele and I would probably take it to a luthier.

The problems that come with more expensive guitars I guess.

Pat

Raiyn

Reaction score
I know you are going to have a blast and I will be tuned in to your NGD and mod threads!!
I'm 95% sure I know where all the mod parts are. I lost control of the shop in July when we adopted a stray that had been hanging around the property -in the ramp up of Hurricane Elsa. Everything potentially harmful / valuable was tucked away in Rubbermaid tubs while he was in isolation - in my clean shop / spare room.
20210722_180038 (1).jpg

He's out in "gen pop" now with no issues. He's a Mama's boy even though I'm the one that made the call to bring his grungy butt inside in the first place. Eh, what can ya do?

Latest posts