Fender Tone Master Super Reverb

• Thread starter Mike M
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

R.G.Smith

Reaction score
I had one in HS too. Same type of band too. Nice amp but 50 years later it would be way too much to lug. Oh to be 17 again....
I was 17 in ‘63. The war in SE Asia was raging, I was playing folk music throughout Ohio, PA, and IN on my 12-string, and while the mean girls made fun of the long fingernails on my right hand, I was playing 3 nights a week trying to make the money that put me through college! “The good old days… may they never come again…” — W.C. Fields

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Four 10" Alnico speakers and 45w of clean output with slow breakup made those old Supers great guitar amps. I have a friend whose the leader and one of the founders of Firefall and all I've ever seen him use on stage is a Super Reverb or a Roland JC120. Both classic amps for the guys who play cleaner lines.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I had one in HS too. Same type of band too. Nice amp but 50 years later it would be way too much to lug. Oh to be 17 again....

...ain't that the truth...
Got a chance to pickup a Fender Concert for $325-$350 from my cousin...he said it's a "one-trip-home" model...

Mike M

Reaction score
@Mike M
So did you buy one? Are you planning on buying one?
I'm seeing a bunch of sizzle reviews but no steak and even less context.

Whatcha doing?

Yeah, I got one, but to be honest, I'm a sucker for these amps.

I bought a TMDR when they came out, a friend lent me their blonde TMTR while he is out of the country for a year, and now I have the Super as well.

So at this moment, I have all 3 models.

I've always wanted to collect Fender classic amps now that I am older, but can't use the volume or weight.

These ae perfect for me, and with the attenuators, they are perfect home amps.

Are they exactly like their tube counterparts? NO, but they get really close, plus you can play them at like TV level volume, and I like not worrying about any tube maintenance.

Plus, with a XLR to 18th cable, they make great headphone amps.

Feel free to ask ne any questions

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
There is a thickness and depth that the original has that the Tone Master does not have.

My opinion was that the Tone Master was a brighter sound but not really in a good way.
That could be because it lacks the girth of the original.

Just my two cents. I have read good reviews on thd Tone Master amps however and a lot of these A/B tests are deeply flawed.

Pat

Raiyn

Reaction score
Saw that. I'd be hard pressed to stash a 2x12 much less a 4x10 regardless of how light it is.

I will say that solid state digital amps have come a long way the last few years. Between Boss knocking it out of the park with the Katana series and folks seeing the writing on the wall over tube supplies* it's a natural evolution.

Just so I can shake my fist at the clouds and yell too: The thing that really chaps my ass is the transition to SMT components over through hole. My eyes ain't getting better over here!

*Recently, only two factories in the world produced vacuum tubes one in Russia, the other in China. The Chinese one was forced to move and the Russian one went from a backlog of a month to over 6 months.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I learned a few things this year going from a pair of JC-40’s to a Boss Nextone Artist.

I guess first thing was that a properly ported “12 lends a lot of tight low end to the guitar that I was missing coming from 10” speakers.

I also learned that a stock speaker ain’t always what you might believe it is. After putting a Celestion Crème in my Boss, it was a totally different amp.

I have seen where the Katana speakers are very good, why they didn’t put them in the Nextone series is anyone’s guess…

And I found out that I like tube emulation nowadays, at least in my amp. But to get the tone right was to go into the program for the amp and null set or turn off all of the EQ parameters.

Then it was down to just my pedal board and the Boss’s digital tube emulation engine,
3 good sounding verbs, a tremolo or delay function plus a very nice 85W amp.

I basically went through two months of hell trying to salvage an amp that just sounded terrible out of the box to my ears.

Sweetwater sympathized and comped me the Celestion after I bought it and told them that it made a huge difference.

In the end, I didn’t get the amp I wanted, I think I got a better amp and a lot of knowledge and experience out of the deal.

Pat

Latest posts