First amp ?

• Thread starter Lee Waite
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Waite

Reaction score
I have an ES-339 on order and I’m now thinking about an amp etc,
Really my budget is around $200 and I’ve looked at Line 6 spider v 20w and Fender Mustang 1 and also the iRig micro amp.
The iRig looks interesting with its app software and connection abilities to iPad and such.
Has anyone had any experience with this?
I’m just starting out on my guitar journey and intend only to do this for my own pleasure at home.
I hope to be playing blues and rock and some folk and Celtic too.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated

BGood

Reaction score
First, you should look for a used amp. You'll double your choices like that. For your first amp, I'd forget about amps you can tweak via USB, you'll just get lost in the amount of possibilities. If you go for a modeler, be aware that the presets that are in there to start with are rarely good. You always end up making your own, which is what you want. You want to find YOUR tone palette, not someone else's.

One that often goes under the radar is the Vox Valvetronix. I've had several VOX amps and the AD30VT was one of the good ones. I even had two at a time :) You can easily find one for $100 nowadays.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=ad30vt
https://www.guitarcenter.com/search...=true&fromRecentHistory=false&Ntt=used+AD30VT

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
I vouch for Katana as well, really good amp, you can probably find the first edition (50 watt) for that money. On reverb they start from 150 Euros (167.30 USD)

SirMilo

Reaction score
I too have to agree with everyones Katana recommendation at your price point.

I do have a question for you though. You mention that you will be doing this for your own pleasure at home.
My question is: will you be able to play with any volume at home? What I am wanting to know is if you are going to need to stay at consistently low volumes due to some type of living arrangements that might anger neighbors?

Your interest in the i-Rig is why I am asking this question. I might have a reasonably priced option for you to investigate but it would come with its own set of complications. Only if you have conditions where you were unable to play with any volume would I even consider making such a recommendation, thus the reason that I haven't said what's on my mind yet.

Lee Waite

Reaction score
I too have to agree with everyones Katana recommendation at your price point.

I do have a question for you though. You mention that you will be doing this for your own pleasure at home.
My question is: will you be able to play with any volume at home? What I am wanting to know is if you are going to need to stay at consistently low volumes due to some type of living arrangements that might anger neighbors?

Your interest in the i-Rig is why I am asking this question. I might have a reasonably priced option for you to investigate but it would come with its own set of complications. Only if you have conditions where you were unable to play with any volume would I even consider making such a recommendation, thus the reason that I haven't said what's on my mind yet.
I live out on a farm, the nearest neighbour is 3/4 of a mile away.
I have since bought an iRig HD2 that I have hooked up to my home HiFi for now

SirMilo

Reaction score
I live out on a farm, the nearest neighbour is 3/4 of a mile away. I have since bought an iRig HD2 that I have hooked up to my home HiFi for now

That's great. I'm glad that you found something to work for you.

I'm envious of your ability to get loud without annoying anyone. I'm a city dweller and don't exactly have the right amps for my situation. Thankfully, I can get pretty obnoxious with the volume controls but I will never be able to really get the tubes cooking at home. Fortunately, I am able to take them to a friend's rehearsal space and blow out the cobwebs from time to time.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
I live out on a farm, the nearest neighbour is 3/4 of a mile away.

In that case,

5746894409_b9b82b82b8.jpg

Steven Howes

Reaction score
ha, I saw the back drop and didn't clue in to the fact he isn't even using marshalls. I guess he isn't going to get endorsed any time soon.

Latest posts