Frets lifting

• Thread starter Monty Rustbucket
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Monty Rustbucket

Reaction score
Hi all, I purchased a new Epiphone EJ200 Artist in May of this year, so now about 7 months old. Up until now I have been very happy with it. The sound and workmanship / finish is far better than the £150 (UK) price would suggest. Anyway, over the last couple of weeks I've noticed that the fret ends have started lifting, both bass and treble side. On some frets its possible to feel a noticeable gap with a fingernail. I can now physically feel the fret ends catching on my skin as my hand moves up and down the neck. Apart from the very ends of the frets all seems well, no visible lifting in the middle. The guitar shares a room / wall space with other guitars that have been in this room for many years with no problems. So, I can't see it being due to the atmosphere it lives in. Any thoughts on this ?

Jeffytune

Reaction score
Well, being only 7 months old, I would be talking to Epiphone and were then nearest warranty station is. You should start with the dealer you bought from.
Either way, you need to have a Luther look at to find what the issue is.

Monty Rustbucket

Reaction score
Yeah, gonna take it back to the shop I bought it from. Can't really see them sending to a luthier though as it only cost £150 new. Surely the cost of sorting it out would cost more than its worth ?? Will find out on Monday

Tadb123

Reaction score
Acoustic guitars really should stay in a hard case when not being played, if possible . Sounds like it could be caused by low humidity, which is drying out your fretboard. This can be caused by the heater in your home, or just general conditions in the weather in your location.

shimmilou

Reaction score
Monty, are the frets just stibcking out past the edge of thefretboard (fret sprout), or are they lifted upwards away from the top of the fret board? If the former, fret sprout, would be from the wood drying and shrinking, and I believe not covered by warranty.

Monty Rustbucket

Reaction score
Hi, only just seen these replies - thanks folks. Anyway - I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they had it for a week or so. It came back all good, frets reset. They were sticking up from the fretboard and not out past the edge. I've had it back a while now and it seems fine. Happy Days.IMG_20190329_210036 (900 x 1200).jpg

gil

Reaction score
Sometimes a little tapping with a rubber hammer is all it takes. I find this happens often to guitars that go through extreme humidity levels and worse case they will keep lifting so a more aggressive remedy like super gluing the loose frets works.

Latest posts