Gibson has fully transformed my view of their Epiphone guitars!

• Thread starter DHart
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DHart

Reaction score
I had a bias against Epiphones (vs. Gibsons) for many, many years. A few years back, however, I discovered that the Epi ES-339 Pro was actually an excellent instrument, good enough that I felt quite pleased to have my first Epiphone. A couple of years after that first ES-339, I bought another Epiphone ES-339 in natural finish and installed a pair of Rob's Cavalier Firebird pickups and a new custom wiring harness in it - fabulous guitar - for a steal of a price. (I like it as much as my Gibson ES-339, to be honest.)

51922258243_bab1d88d11_h.jpg

Another year or two passes and I discovered the Epiphone ES-Les Paul. I found a used one in great condition in transparent wine red.

48806947852_5d3f58a845_h.jpg

Just for fun and interest-sake, I installed a pair of TV Jones T-Armond pickups, with a new '50s wiring harness, CTS pots, Switchcraft switch and output jack. Quite a wonderful guitar.

50235047931_d6bd9e6a21_h.jpg

I liked it so much that I also bought a new Trans Black Es-Les Paul. The trans black model remains stock with ProBucker 2 and 3 pickups, coil splitting, yada yada.
50234391203_ebba67de61_h.jpg

Turns out that Gibson and Epiphone stopped making ES-Les Pauls around that time and I was so fortunate to have mine.

Another two years pass, to THIS year, and I discovered the "Inspired by Gibson" Epiphone Les Paul Modern - with ebony board, asymmetrical neck carve, locking Grover tuners, Graphtec nut, with modern chambering weighing just 8 lbs! I went to GC to check it out and after they unboxed it and I played it for a minute... I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. It balances beautifully on the lap! What a wonderful instrument, for an insanely great price!

52989698240_46a0f206d7_h.jpg

Being the modder/tweaker that I am, I decided to make this "Modern" a little more traditional, so I wired up a new '50s wiring harness with premium pots, switch and jack, and installed a pair of Dimarzio PAF Master pickups (very much a favorite of mine). Added a poker chip and some new knobs and, voila:

53013760395_e9c051128a_h.jpg

53013381721_b35d1e007a_h.jpg

Turns out, now I love this Les Paul Modern so much that I decided to seek out another copy but this time in their "Sparkling Burgundy" color.

And in the process of seeking that out, I discovered that they are also making an "Inspired by Gibson" SG Modern Figured. An SG with a 3/4" maple cap! And with an ebony board, locking Grover tuners, Graphtec nut, and coil split/phase switching. WOW.

Well dang! There remains no doubt now... Gibson has fully succeeded in turning me into a BIG fan of their high-end Epiphone guitars! These two are now en route to me:

53156104254_9f14ef437b_h.jpg

I'm sure that some mods will be made (at least a poker chip on the Les Paul)... so I'll report back when that happens.

As the build-quality of offshore-manufactured guitars has hit a fabulous peak in recent years, Epiphone has risen to the call and is making fantastic instruments, selling for very reasonable money.

Gibson now understands that their "cash cow" guitars, the ones they are selling like crazy, are not Gibsons... but rather are Epiphones! So, they're pouring resources into and setting quality standards for their Epiphones to make sure they keep on selling like hotcakes. I love that!

Last edited:

Darkness

Reaction score
All beautiful guitars there. I admit I don't normally like the Phelam blue but with the redish back that one is striking!

I play with an old timer about two or three times a month, he's been a Gibson guy longer than I've been alive. First time I brought an Epi over he did the "pretty good, but not a Gibson". After letting him try out a few of my guitars now he wants to buy them from me.

DHart

Reaction score
The bias toward Gibson and against Epiphone is a long standing one for many long-time players. It definitely takes some getting over.

But really, just given some time actually PLAYING Epiphones... especially the recent production models, it becomes quite obvious that these are well-made instruments capable of serving players at all levels of ability. And they are priced quite sensibly as compared to the crazy prices of Gibsons, these days.

If I were gigging, I'd definitely be using Epiphones instead of Gibsons at shows.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
All beautiful guitars there. I admit I don't normally like the Phelam blue but with the redish back that one is striking!

I play with an old timer about two or three times a month, he's been a Gibson guy longer than I've been alive. First time I brought an Epi over he did the "pretty good, but not a Gibson". After letting him try out a few of my guitars now he wants to buy them from me.
I have a similar experience to share. My jam buddy is from Michigan and a dyed in the wool Gibson purist. One day I brought two of my Epis (an ES339 and a '56 Gold Top P90) over to compare with his similar Gibsons.

The Gold Tops were so similar that blindfolded about the only way to tell them apart was that the Gibson P90s were a little gnarlier and grittier when pushed whereas the Epi P90s had more clarity and sweetness.

As for the ES339? He offered me $100 more than I paid for it.....LOL.

The only thing I can say is that old saying "Nothing Sounds Like A Gibson" just ain't true any longer. Ever since Gibson took the handcuffs off Epi allowing them to make and market the best guitars they can build they just kick Gibson's behind from a standpoint of value and still offer a top quality instrument.

Darkness

Reaction score
But really, just given some time actually PLAYING Epiphones... especially the recent production models, it becomes quite obvious that these are well-made instruments
Yup, this. He first got excited when I let him play my P90 SG for 30 minutes while I was setting up an amp for him. He kept asking "You paid how much? $450???" And kept saying if I want to part ways with it let him know.

Norton

Reaction score
post 2020 epiphanies made another jump in quality control. You might need to go buy another guitar.... I mean just to check it out.

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
I had a bias against Epiphones (vs. Gibsons) for many, many years. A few years back, however, I discovered that the Epi ES-339 Pro was actually an excellent instrument, good enough that I felt quite pleased to have my first Epiphone. A couple of years after that first ES-339, I bought another Epiphone ES-339 in natural finish and installed a pair of Rob's Cavalier Firebird pickups and a new custom wiring harness in it - fabulous guitar - for a steal of a price. (I like it as much as my Gibson ES-339, to be honest.)

51922258243_bab1d88d11_h.jpg

Another year or two passes and I discovered the Epiphone ES-Les Paul. I found a used one in great condition in transparent wine red.

48806947852_5d3f58a845_h.jpg

Just for fun and interest-sake, I installed a pair of TV Jones T-Armond pickups, with a new '50s wiring harness, CTS pots, Switchcraft switch and output jack. Quite a wonderful guitar.

50235047931_d6bd9e6a21_h.jpg

I liked it so much that I also bought a new Trans Black Es-Les Paul. The trans black model remains stock with ProBucker 2 and 3 pickups, coil splitting, yada yada.
50234391203_ebba67de61_h.jpg

Turns out that Gibson and Epiphone stopped making ES-Les Pauls around that time and I was so fortunate to have mine.

Another two years pass, to THIS year, and I discovered the "Inspired by Gibson" Epiphone Les Paul Modern - with ebony board, asymmetrical neck carve, locking Grover tuners, Graphtec nut, with modern chambering weighing just 8 lbs! I went to GC to check it out and after they unboxed it and I played it for a minute... I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. It balances beautifully on the lap! What a wonderful instrument, for an insanely great price!

52989698240_46a0f206d7_h.jpg

Being the modder/tweaker that I am, I decided to make this "Modern" a little more traditional, so I wired up a new '50s wiring harness with premium pots, switch and jack, and installed a pair of Dimarzio PAF Master pickups (very much a favorite of mine). Added a poker chip and some new knobs and, voila:

53013760395_e9c051128a_h.jpg

53013381721_b35d1e007a_h.jpg

Turns out, now I love this Les Paul Modern so much that I decided to seek out another copy but this time in their "Sparkling Burgundy" color.

And in the process of seeking that out, I discovered that they are also making an "Inspired by Gibson" SG Modern Figured. An SG with a 3/4" maple cap! And with an ebony board, locking Grover tuners, Graphtec nut, and coil split/phase switching. WOW.

Well dang! There remains no doubt now... Gibson has fully succeeded in turning me into a BIG fan of their high-end Epiphone guitars! These two are now en route to me:

53156104254_9f14ef437b_h.jpg

I'm sure that some mods will be made (at least a poker chip on the Les Paul)... so I'll report back when that happens.

As the build-quality of offshore-manufactured guitars has hit a fabulous peak in recent years, Epiphone has risen to the call and is making fantastic instruments, selling for very reasonable money.

Gibson now understands that their "cash cow" guitars, the ones they are selling like crazy, are not Gibsons... but rather are Epiphones! So, they're pouring resources into and setting quality standards for their Epiphones to make sure they keep on selling like hotcakes. I love that!

You have a fantastic collection ! 😍 Congrats ! :applause:

3bolt79

Reaction score
If it weren’t for the IBG line, I’d have a few more Gibsonsthan the two I currently have. No reason to now. I’ve got 6 IBG’s at present, well the purple one is my my wife’s birthday present in a couple of days.
IMG_0471.jpeg

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
If we go back about 90 years to the days of big body arch tops it was Epiphone who was the king of the mountain and Gibson trying to push them off. Then the company kinda fell apart after it's leader Epi Stathopoulus passed away and eventually Gibson bought them cheap.

Gibson will never permit Epi to rise above it now and yet they have to know who their actual cash cow is. They own their own manufacturing plant in China so they can control costs there. By allowing the quality to rise along with prices with very little increase in costs I believe that without Epiphone and it's profits Gibson would be screwed.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Gibson will never permit Epi to rise above it now and yet they have to know who their actual cash cow is. They own their own manufacturing plant in China so they can control costs there. By allowing the quality to rise along with prices with very little increase in costs I believe that without Epiphone and it's profits Gibson would be screwed.
I think this is now true for any of the big 3 (Fender, Gibson, PRS). The harsh reality is that volume sales has basically become everything for the guitar market these days. It's a bit perverse if you step back and think about it. Like how often do you hear a piano player talk about getting another piano in a few months or owning the same piano in different colors :rofl: Somehow, the guitar industry has evolved to the point where it's basically like buying phones and chasing the latest gfx cards for gaming etc... But on a positive note, once the industry goes down that route, I believe it actually gives room for boutique and unique builders to exist too (because there's always going to be consumer elitism and crazy stuff like that).

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I think this is now true for any of the big 3 (Fender, Gibson, PRS). The harsh reality is that volume sales has basically become everything for the guitar market these days. It's a bit perverse if you step back and think about it. Like how often do you hear a piano player talk about getting another piano in a few months or owning the same piano in different colors :rofl: Somehow, the guitar industry has evolved to the point where it's basically like buying phones and chasing the latest gfx cards for gaming etc... But on a positive note, once the industry goes down that route, I believe it actually gives room for boutique and unique builders to exist too (because there's always going to be consumer elitism and crazy stuff like that).
You make a good point. Thinking back on it it seems like Fender began the idea of marketing to the masses at many different price points through the Squier lines and that spilled over into the MIM and US Fender lines as well.

Around 1970 if you wanted to buy a new Tele you had maybe 3 or 4 choices to choose from and handful of different finishes. If we include all of the Squiers, MIJ, MIM and US lines now how many are there? It's the same with Strats and the two core basses.

Gibson pretty much had to follow suit and as soon as Henry J and his tribe were gone the wraps came off of Epiphone and it's selection and quality expanded to the point where they're a serious player in the lower to middle segment of the market now.

PRS has done it with their SE Series imports and US made S2 Series.

It's the result of pretty clever marketing that has brought us to wanting more than just one top of the line guitar vs owning a dozen or a half dozen lower to mid prices ones. We can do that now due to the sheer number of products in the $500-$1500 price range.

Last edited:

DHart

Reaction score
I'm a player, but I also love to customize, mod, and tweak, and I enjoy having a variety of guitars. Thus, I really appreciate the mid-priced guitars - since they have proven to be excellent quality musical instruments and are not particular costly.

I would not be inclined to do much customizing, modding, nor tweaking on very expensive or custom shop guitars.

Fender's lower-priced USA models, their MIM guitars, and Gibson's Epiphone guitars are the sweet spots for me. :) With Fenders, in particular, I mix and match necks and bodies to perfectly suit my taste. It is wonderful how Leo designed the perfect "lego" guitars.

Caddy

Reaction score
My 2014 ES-339 (HB’s) in natural that Bo got new with the Epi HSC is a really nice guitar that seems far better than the price might indicate. Sweetwater’s photo, but my guitar.
339-front-large_Original.jpeg
My 2014 honeyburst Traditional Pro LP that I bought used locally is also a really fine guitar and all the LP I need. Also came with the Epi HSC. Picture too large to post.

Also have an Epi LP Special I in yellow with P-90s and an Epi LP Jr. All really fine guitars.

DHart

Reaction score
For those who don't want nor need to spend really big bucks for Gibson models, Epiphone (these days) fully satisfies! The playability, tones, fit, finish, and looks are impressive!.

I've had numerous Gibson Les Pauls, an ES-339, SG Standard, and LGO acoustic and must say that coming from that experience, I am impressed, very pleased, and quite happy with my current day Epiphone models (ES-339, ES-Les Pauls, and Les Paul Moderns).

Fantastic work Epiphone is doing for us - and for Gibson!

Last edited:

Latest posts