Got bit by "Want a Guitar", but need some advice.

• Thread starter 69Beowulf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

69Beowulf

Reaction score
While I would never use the term Telecaster and shred in the same sentence if you can pick up a CV in good shape for $200 do it. They're one of the best sounding and playing Teles you'll ever find in that price range.

Obviously I was referring to two separate desires: Wanting a "shred" guitar and wanting to wade back into the Fender waters. Unfortunately, the Tele was a fake. When I'd asked him to let me take pictures of it, he hesitated. When I told him I just want to have something to look at in detail while I make my decision, he admitted that it really wasn't a Classic Vibe. When I asked him what it was, he said it was a "Fender Stagg Telecaster". It had the right stuff on the headstock, so someone had actually taken a Stagg-built knockoff and made it to look like a Fender. Needless to say, I was upset. No CV, no sale, no nothing.

BGood

Reaction score
Aww ... bummer.
You'll find one, we'll keep our eyes open for you.

eS.G.

Reaction score
THAT SUCKS sorry man. Look on the bright side you didnt buy a fake!!

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Obviously I was referring to two separate desires: Wanting a "shred" guitar and wanting to wade back into the Fender waters. Unfortunately, the Tele was a fake. When I'd asked him to let me take pictures of it, he hesitated. When I told him I just want to have something to look at in detail while I make my decision, he admitted that it really wasn't a Classic Vibe. When I asked him what it was, he said it was a "Fender Stagg Telecaster". It had the right stuff on the headstock, so someone had actually taken a Stagg-built knockoff and made it to look like a Fender. Needless to say, I was upset. No CV, no sale, no nothing.

Ah...........my bad. Chalk it up to my advancing age. :o

Bummer on the Tele though. It annoys the crap out of me when sellers advertise a guitar as something it's not hoping to get lucky and catch a less educated buyer. Sorry to hear you wasted your time.

HTSMetal

Reaction score
I can vouch for the Squier '51. It's a fun, versatile, and surprisingly well-made axe for the money. I love the stock pickups as well, I really didn't expect the hot ceramic single coil and humbucker to sound all that good, but they have some magic in 'em...especially with the coil-split wiring it comes with.

Here's a demo video I did of mine awhile back:

BGood

Reaction score
Wow ! Really nice playing. I really wanted to listen all the way to the end of your vid.

Not my kind of guitar, but you make it sing.

BGood

Reaction score
Just picked up my Epiphone Les Paul Special I P90 this last weekend, and I absolutely love it! It plays better and sounds better than any other guitar I've had, and I've had some costing 10 times as much.
I love it that more people dig this baby. Love mine dearly. It will age gracefully and become a collector's item in a few decades. just like the old Juniors.

69Beowulf

Reaction score
I can vouch for the Squier '51. It's a fun, versatile, and surprisingly well-made axe for the money. I love the stock pickups as well, I really didn't expect the hot ceramic single coil and humbucker to sound all that good, but they have some magic in 'em...especially with the coil-split wiring it comes with.

Here's a demo video I did of mine awhile back:

Thanks. Is the odd bridge an issue? How about intonation? That's really the only thing I dislike about the Special I - the bridge and its inability to properly adjust intonation. As such my, G-string hates me. ;)

BGood

Reaction score
The wraparound bridge is and is not an issue. If you play chords high on the neck, it might be. If not, it's close to perfect if you adjust it right.
You have to play with total distance and then individual post adjutment. Start by intonating low and high E and then tweak to find the best compromise. It can take a little while, but it's possible to get 99% intonated. Nut height is part of intonation adjustments too.

HTSMetal

Reaction score
Thanks. Is the odd bridge an issue? How about intonation? That's really the only thing I dislike about the Special I - the bridge and its inability to properly adjust intonation. As such my, G-string hates me. ;)

Nope, it adjusts just like any Strat-style hardtail bridge. Totally easy to intonate!

eS.G.

Reaction score
Squier makes an EXCELL---fooking--lent product.....damn the haters and ----OH it MUST be an AMERICA strat to be worthy
-- to them I say "BITCH PLEASE!"
Fender family.jpg

GEt that AWESOME '51 and ROCK THE FOOK OUT ...........an hey if ya DONT like it ---lemme know perhaps I wil trade ya something Ladie!

eS.G.

Reaction score
Actually----buy two and I will trade ya something for one----WHY The FOOK do I not HAVE one of these allreadY?!?!?!
Seriously ......this is a friggin awesome axe!

69Beowulf

Reaction score
Actually----buy two and I will trade ya something for one----WHY The FOOK do I not HAVE one of these allreadY?!?!?!
Seriously ......this is a friggin awesome axe!

Hehe. Well, I did it. I pulled the trigger on it yesterday, and will be getting it tomorrow. Candy Apple Red. I'll probably be looking into either replacing that white pickguard or just taking it off and putting the screws back into the holes.

Can't wait for it to come. With that and the SG the wife is getting me, I'll be set for a while. GAS is officially over! For now.

69Beowulf

Reaction score
Just got it in yesterday. After putting some straplocks on it and cleaning up the fretboard, I took it for a spin. That little Squier 51 is a sweet guitar! It literally needed zero setup after stretching the strings, and it plays like a dream!

I think I'm done buying new guitars for a while. I now have a sweet P90 that I love to play, and a new Fender to give me that classic Fender sound. I love them both, and couldn't be happier.

Dang, it's amazing how good these cheap little guitars can be.

BGood

Reaction score
Might we se the actual little Squier ?

... I think I'm done buying new guitars for a while ... Where have I heard that before ?

69Beowulf

Reaction score
Might we se the actual little Squier ?

... I think I'm done buying new guitars for a while ... Where have I heard that before ?
I'll take pics soon. Too busy pretending to work.

Last time I said I was done buying new guitars was about 10 years ago. I'd say I was pretty successful at staying away. That said, I'm getting forgetful in my old age. I just might forget I even said it.

BGood

Reaction score
That's really the only thing I dislike about the Special I - the bridge and its inability to properly adjust intonation.
Take your time adjusting the wraparound and you'll get your intonation to 95% spot on. Go back and forth on the post adjusting screws, because when you move one, the other slightly moves too.

Nice red fun machine you got there. I like it.

69Beowulf

Reaction score
Take your time adjusting the wraparound and you'll get your intonation to 95% spot on. Go back and forth on the post adjusting screws, because when you move one, the other slightly moves too.

Nice red fun machine you got there. I like it.
Thanks. I'm thinking I just lack the patience - which is funny, because I have patience for other things. In truth, I'm just not used to the two-post compensated bridge. I've spent so much time around individual adjustable saddles that I think I got spoiled.

Anything's better than the Floyd I had on my old Jackson Dinky DX10D or my Ibanez RG320DXQM. I can't for the life of me figure out why so many people swear by that Floyd - it's really just too much trouble.

Latest posts