Have you ever asked "Why"?

• Thread starter Jim McPherson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eS.G.

Reaction score
Thats a lot?!?! You have never been in a screen printing shop ....that was polite and hardly any swearing at all......I have coworkers who would have used more swear words in 1 sentence than he used in the whole video......but we sniff a lot of ink fumes and such as well....

Darth-Paul

Reaction score
Thats a lot?!?! You have never been in a screen printing shop ....that was polite and hardly any swearing at all......I have coworkers who would have used more swear words in 1 sentence than he used in the whole video......but we sniff a lot of ink fumes and such as well....
Maybe I should have been more specific :)

The chap likes to swear a lot. I've watched the majority of his vids and certainly loves a swear word. (You seen the rants about tone woods etc ?)

Which there is nothing wrong with. However when trying to provide a valid reasoned argument sometimes seems over the top (not this video)

RobertJohn

Reaction score
I skimmed a bit but he hit the nail on the head with the neck issue. Why companies choose to use short tenons over long ones when it is generally believed that having a long tenon results in more sustain.. is something I'll never understand. Did someone wake up one day and think "hey, I know a way we can save 1inch of wood from every guitar!!"

Darth-Paul

Reaction score
I have heard and said worse then him.....LOL Work around construction workers...LOL

A lot of good common sense info on here. Wood and electronics doesn't cost $3000 and more just to build a guitar.
As have I. But we are not ranting on you tube :)

He talks a heck of a lot of sense in most of his vids however one or two he seems to get so angry he loses the plot with tirades of swearing. Again no issue just comes across as manic - strange when he has a business and obviously sells etc.

But as I say talks a lot of common sense (the majority of the time)

Jim McPherson

Reaction score
Ya he gets carried away some. This is one good reason why I don't buy from the Big Name makers. Plus they slap a name from a famous player on a regular guitar with their specs and jack the price up even higher. Or say is a VOS and do the same. But they are only worth what someones willing to pay. I'm not willing.

eS.G.

Reaction score
No worries Darth, just ----stirring the pot--- so to speak.....playing Devils Advocate.....poking the bear......numerous phrases for it......mostly I am just being annoying and a wanker....these are my "specialties" if you will, at no additional charge I might ad.

I agree with much of what he says...(especially the fact Scott Grove is an idiot) :cheers:

Darth-Paul

Reaction score
No worries Darth, just ----stirring the pot--- so to speak.....playing Devils Advocate.....poking the bear......numerous phrases for it......mostly I am just being annoying and a wanker....these are my "specialties" if you will, at no additional charge I might ad.

I agree with much of what he says...(especially the fact Scott Grove is an idiot) :cheers:
No your not (annoying/wanker) :)

Poking is good ;)

Defo speaks a lot of sense

eS.G.

Reaction score
But I am so trying to be (annoying and wanker-ish) ;):thumb:

Oh yes poking can be very goo :naughty::cool::D

tragewombat

Reaction score
I skimmed a bit but he hit the nail on the head with the neck issue. Why companies choose to use short tenons over long ones when it is generally believed that having a long tenon results in more sustain.. is something I'll never understand. Did someone wake up one day and think "hey, I know a way we can save 1inch of wood from every guitar!!"

"it is generally believed" does not equal "fact". If that were the case the Earth would at one point have been flat. That said a short tenon construction might just be more optimal from a production point of view (better control over neck placement, faster production, who knows... any experts about?)...

Alty

Reaction score
"it is generally believed" does not equal "fact". If that were the case the Earth would at one point have been flat.

Sorry for the OT post but interestingly (Maybe/Possibly :) ), contrary to popular belief it was never 'believed' the world was flat by most people, only a few people thought that and they were generally ignored at the time.

In the 19th century, an American writer called Washington Irving wrote a fictionalised biography of Columbus in which he made the entirely false claim that people in the middle ages thought the world was flat.

gsmacleod

Reaction score
Sorry for the OT post but interestingly (Maybe/Possibly :) ), contrary to popular belief it was never 'believed' the world was flat by most people, only a few people thought that and they were generally ignored at the time.

But it makes such a good strawman for anyone who wants to deny science!

Shane

tragewombat

Reaction score

while the notion of a spherical planet is much much older than people might think, it was preceded by a notion that the earth was indeed flat

Mumford

Reaction score
Going to dust off my lurking account here...

This guy obviously knows his stuff. But he comes off (to me) as a conspiracy theorist with only some information. He complains about Gibson and others using the cheapest wood they can like it's some bad thing. But it's obviously not since people are happy with their guitars. He then complains that companies are doing what they're doing without any innovation... and while that's correct, the blame there lies with consumers - not the companies. So long as we want to buy a particular product, guitar manufacturers would be silly to invest money in anything else. Yes there are fringes (including him) trying to innovate. But the big guys don't have a reason to until there's a market for them.

There was another video by him I saw a month or so ago, he was talking about strings... specifically he was talking about string tension on Fender-style headstocks, and how he didn't like it because "the tension was higher on the high-E string", implying that because the distance between the bridge and the tuner for the high-E on Fenders was longer (compared to, say, a Gibson-style headstock), it was under higher tension. It's not. The string is just longer. I closed the video right after that.

Paully

Reaction score
This guy cracks me up. He knows so much it drives
him crazy thinking about it all.
Classic conspiracy theorists attitude and demeanor.
I watched another of his vids for a chuckle and
He got so wound up he was practically red in the face. Most sentences contained the word f√¢k.
I laughed out load.

fuelish

Reaction score
Foothills o' the Great Smoky Mtns, TN, USA
....just ----stirring the pot--- so to speak.....playing Devils Advocate.....poking the bear......numerous phrases for it......mostly I am just being annoying and a wanker....these are my "specialties" if you will, at no additional charge I might ad.
Wait....are you my long lost twin brother??? :) I love to push peoples' buttons, for sport, shall we say??? Ticks my wife off, but, hey....it's expected of me anymore...LOL

eS.G.

Reaction score
Could be .......Either of your parents spend any time in O-HI-HOe??? Up around Cleveland----hey ya never know. ;)

I do things like say I am a fan of the football team of which the person I am talking to HATES.....just to see what they say.....I will also point out "thats NOT going to work" after EVERY IDEA you come up with......even if I KNOW its going to work. .......

Working with me is a riot----well for me any way lol

Latest posts