Headstock overlay

• Thread starter FireBirdFreak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FireBirdFreak

Reaction score
It's nice to have the ignore feature on this site. Won't have read anymore bull_shay_it from those creepy little mucken_fays!

FireBirdFreak

Reaction score
My apologies if you had to read everything in this post leading up to this point, now we can get down to some serious business. I do not live in a glass house so tossing stones will do you no good!

First pic is what the newer Epiphone Firebird string pull from tuners looks like, nasty angle and plastic nut.

Second pic is what the instrument looked like when I received it from the buyer - (and yes, the Gibson logoed truss rod cover was already installed) Fixing the nut is an easy thing to do ...... should we have to worry about it happening again?

Third pic is a borrowed headstock template.

Forth pic is original 90's Steinberger tuners that will be assigned as depicted in template pic 3. Eliminating break angle on nut.

Fifth pic is sample of what the goal is but with a reversal of woodgrain vs black as seen in the overlay.

There will be some routing, counterboring, drilling, staining and dowel plugging involved in the process so we will see how she goes.

If you purchase one of these birds and will be shipped, don't forget to ask the seller to loosen the strings !!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 13
  • JB epi.jpg
    JB epi.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Ahhh nice. I like the fifth pic version a lot more. Sounds like an interesting project.

When I saw the thumbnail(s), my eyes played tricks on me but I was imagining the fifth pic being a black veneer on top of an exposed red headstock (and the body of the guitar would be black /w red trim). Metal af :D

Zero

Reaction score
I've read this thread 3 times and still don't understand what the OP is trying to do with the template. Is it to alter the string break angle? If so, I'd be interested to see the final product.

Given what we've seen here and in other forums. It's an understandable, a priori, to think that altering the headstock has an ulterior motive. Over of Squier-Talk, there are many comments about Squiers being re-sold as Fenders because it's so easy to sand off one label and replace it.

Not my experience, but to each his own.
I can fully attest to Raiyns bull crap. But he is also a plethora of knowledge and I’m still on his blocked list. But we rubbed each other the wrong way. I’d be willing to let bygones be bygones if he’d unblock me. But I’m not losing any sleep from his absence either.

FireBirdFreak

Reaction score
Hey Zero, it's all good. I'm sure he may be a good it-shay but, sometimes trying to bully the new kid on the block is the worse thing you can do, especially when diving in before you know how deep the water is.

The reality for me is this threat has been assassinated and is dead. When I gather more materials for the project I'm thinking of starting another.

I haven't given up on ET quite yet my friend.

Rock on

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
soulman969 ......... you haven't been accused, arrested and convicted of a crime that has not yet been committed, have you?

They don't act like this on the Fender or Squire forums, do they -
LOL.....who knows. I stopped posting on both the Tele forum TDPRI and Squier Talk many moons ago just because of some of the annoying shits who post there. Here is much more welcoming and peaceful than either of those two forums and Strat Talk is also pretty good.

But for the love of God do not wander into the Gibson forum talking about your Epiphones or how you plan to modify one. They have large cauldrons of boiling oil waiting for the unwary Epiphone buyers who dare to compare the greater value of similar models to their Gibbys.

But to answer the question asked, No, not to date and if the brand name police come a knockin' they should know they'll never take me alive or confiscate my works.....LOL. I'm with you. We paid for our guitars. That gives us the right to do whatever we damn well please with them.

In the case of my two modified Teles many forums participants would label them "partscasters" as a way to denigrate their market value. I refuse to use that term because every Fender guitar produced is a parts guitar assembled from Fender produced or vendor produced parts.

The only difference is who did the assembly and I'll put my skills doing so up against anyone working in Corona at Fender USA. If I'm gonna play it or I'm assembling one for a friend it's gonna be 100% right by the time I get done which IMHO is a far better QC rate than Fender can do.

Just ignore those here, there, and everywhere who chose to criticize. I ran into that when I first signed up here coming from that very same member who I eventually chose to ignore. I'm not here to debate my personal decisions about modifying my own guitar and neither should you be caught up in that. Do as you will. Hope you find the template you want and IMHO there's no reason to avoid what you're doing.

:cheers:

FireBirdFreak

Reaction score
Fullmoon: constant accusations will always bring you dispare. if you have nothing against modding guitars then why don't you zip it.

Or is it something like: "now I have nothing against modding guitars to my own tastes and if thats all it is then good for you."

When you do it, it's OK..... but when I want to do it, being a new member, with only 2 posts and always referencing Gibson models, modifying guitars and all that creepy stuff.

Wooooo I'm the big bad wolf

Last edited:

Latest posts