Hello, My guitar journey...

• Thread starter SBPGT
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SBPGT

Reaction score
(Couldn't find any info on post rules about pic size and count. Not sure how to make small thumbnail pics. Hope it's ok to post all the pics here, and hope the quality of pics are good enough?)

Thought I would introduce myself...(wasn't sure if I should or just start posting pics in another thread?) Here is a story of how I started to the new guitars I have now...

I use to be in a band and played bass in the early 90's. Around '85 my friend brought over Led Zeppelin IV and Physical Graffiti, when I heard that I wanted to learn to play. He start to teach me and then I switched to the bass so we could play songs together.

I inherited my brother's guitar when he passed away. It was a knok-off Les Paul, plywood body, bolt-on neck, Memphis brand guitar. Probably made around '75? (I still have the missing knob somewhere...)

IMG_0339_zpswkjmvyz3.jpg

I've tried upgrading the tuners when I was younger. Obviously I didn't know what I was doing and chipped the paint trying to make the holes bigger.

IMG_0340_zps1oo1rdcu.jpg

I've had a few basses: (cheapest) Fender P Bass, Fretless Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe w/ Custom neck, American P Bass w/ Jazz bass pickup, and now I just have a Squire Affinity P Bass.

IMG_0336_zpspf1bzqbw.jpg

Now onto the Epiphones....

I wanted to start playing guitar, the Memphis guitar doesn't stay in tune for very long and has some bent frets. So, my friend who was the guitarist in the band gave my an Epiphone Les Paul Junior to use.

IMG_0342_zpsog0ia6oi.jpg

After a while I wanted a guitar of my own. I searched all the Guitar Centers around me and chose the best Epiphone I could find. As a Christmas present my mother helped me with the money upfront(so I could buy it sooner or before someone else bought it) and I payed her back.

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top PRO Honey Burst

20161115_234711_1_zpsy0uzz0vp.jpg

20170105_212132_1_zpsh5egnu3n.jpg

IMG_0332_zpsisglbk5q.jpg

I had only played it a few times. I rearranged my room to make it better environment for practicing. And when I was vacuuming I moved the bed and heard a crash. I didn't want to look but I know I had to. I wanted to smash everything I my room, I was so mad. I sat on the couch for 3 hours trying to calm down.

IMG_0335_zpsijvjozu8.jpg

I called around trying to see if it could be fixed. But the few people I contacted didn't seem to care because it was just an Epiphone(I assume). So I started to save up and look again. I found a few Epi. Les Pauls that I was interested in. I finally decided on another one.

Plus Top Pro in Desertburst.

20170105_211842_1_zpsofjwrb0c.jpg

IMG_0320_zpsdztm2biw.jpg

IMG_0319_zpsddvrfgf6.jpg

When I was paying for the new guitar, I was asked about the warranty. I asked what is it good for, and told them about my broken Epi. I then found out that it was covered, either repair or replace. I still bought the Desertburst. ;) I brought in the Honey Burst a week later, and started the process. I was told that they were going to replace(refund) the Honey Burst. So when I received the e-card($) I bought another guitar that I was looking at...

Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE

IMG_0321_zpszfpxyv42.jpg

IMG_0322_zps1qyonct8.jpg

IMG_0323_zpsowrkiigc.jpg

When I was paying for the new acoustic guitar the tech told me "don't forget to take your Les Paul." You gave me a refund and you are giving me the guitar back, also??? So now I have the option to possibly repair the Honey Burst or have free spare parts(or upgrade the Memphis guitar)!

And a final photobombeb pic of the Desertburst...

IMG_0344_zpsvbdllhgr.jpg

Now I just need to learn to play all these guitars... :rolleyes:

Don't know how much of an active member I'll be? Have been coming here for research and photo's of other guitars for a few months.

Thanks for viewing...
Steve B

Last edited:

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
(Couldn't find any info on post rules about pic size and count. Not sure how to make small thumbnail pics. Hope it's ok to post all the pics here, and hope the quality of pics are good enough?)

Hi Steve,

Welcome here @€piTalk
Thanks for sharing 'your' story
and congrats on a really nice herd of toys
:wave:

the thumbnail pic works if you use the 'Upload a File' feature
though we old guys like to see the guitar p0rn in huge pics better...

NoBucks

Reaction score
Welcome from a fellow bass player! I started playing bass the same way back in '84 in high school because my friend already had a guitar, and our band needed someone on bass. :)

Even if you never fix the honeyburst, you have spare parts. Check out this forum's "big sister" (MLP) in the section entitled Luthier's Corner and you should be able to find a luthier there who would do the work. There are some Epiphone-friendly guys there. Or, who knows, you may find info there on how to repair the headstock yourself.

SBPGT

Reaction score
Hi Steve,
the thumbnail pic works if you use the 'Upload a File' feature
though we old guys like to see the guitar p0rn in huge pics better...

Thanks, I'd rather see the pics without clicking on a lot of links or thumbs... Other sites that I'm on have size and quantity limits that were started when dail-up modems common.

Even if you never fix the honeyburst, you have spare parts. Check out this forum's "big sister" (MLP) in the section entitled Luthier's Corner and you should be able to find a luthier there who would do the work. There are some Epiphone-friendly guys there. Or, who knows, you may find info there on how to repair the headstock yourself.

Thanks, I've registered there too, but never posted. I thought this would be a better forum to start out on.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Those are some sweet-looking guitars you have, even the injured one. YOu can try googling guitar repair in you area or maybe the local guitar shop can connect you with one. A proper guitar tech or luthier won't care that it's a Epi. Most of the cost will be labor.

NoBucks

Reaction score
Thanks, I've registered there too, but never posted. I thought this would be a better forum to start out on.

I wasn't directing away from this forum. You're definitely in the right place for All-Things-Epiphone. :) I was just making a suggestion as far as that one particular guitar is concerned.

In fact, I'd like to see the moderators add a section somewhere here entitled something like, "Epiphone Mods and Repairs".

MarkB

Reaction score
Fix her! My Son's Epi LP has had the headstock reattached twice (once knocked over by his Mum, once when the strap broke on stage!) cost £65 for fix and repaint and it's as good as new!

StringmanK

Reaction score
Hi Steve, Welcome and thanks for sharing your journey. My heart sank when I read about your honeyburst. I'm very happy things worked out for you! It looks like a nice clean break, which means the repair should be relatively simple, either DIY or pay someone to do it. Oh, and the new desert burst is quite the looker too.

SBPGT

Reaction score
Not really sure if it's that clean of a break?

IMG_0354_zps97zadmwo.jpg

The person I was going to take it to said he repairs 100's of broken headstocks and to just bring it on by. Then a few hours later sends me a e-mail "Just slap some super glue on the pieces& hold it on there till the glue drys!! Should be good as knew! New!"

I wasn't sure if it was a joke or serious? Because I read this on his website...

"I have professionally and successfully re-glued over 1000 broken head stocks, some just slightly cracked, some completely broken off with several jagged pieces. First, do not; I repeat DO NOT have this done by an amateur. I get badly repaired headstock cracks in everyday and if it’s done right the first time, it can be done perfectly. But if you just squeeze some wrong glue in there, you may screw it up forever. I have literally dozens of specialty tools, and special fixtures for these types of delicate repairs. You name it … we can repair it both structurally and cosmetically and make it appear as if it NEVER HAPPENED, no matter how bad it seems. WE GUARANTEE IT. When a broken headstock is repaired correctly and reinforced properly, it will not change a guitars tone at all. If done correctly, it will play and sound GREAT!"

It seem to me he was telling me he wasn't interest in fixing it?

StringmanK

Reaction score
I'd find someone else, or call him and ask if he sent the email. (Maybe someone else sent it?). Definitely do not use super glue. Tightbond wood glue would be the norm, clamped nice and snug over night. It looks to me like a very fixable break. Another option would be to sell the guitar as is to someone who can fix it, or strip all the parts and sell the body and headstock alone. Just my 2 cents...

BGood

Reaction score
Ouch ... NEVER contact that Super Glue guy ever again. I would not even trust that guy to change strings on my guitar.

Your guitar can be repaired, but it is not what could be called a clean break. It didn't split along the wood grain, so it will need to be clamped a different way. It will need additional pressure from the top of the headstock down. But get it fixed for sure, it'll be as good as new once repaired. Really !

Don't strip the parts to sell separately. That is a brand new guitar, with a little booboo.

If you tell us where you live, someone here might know of a good luthier in your neck of the woods.

And welcome here SBPGT. Nice collection you're building there.
I too started as a bassman and migrated to guitar, so I can relate.

Scotty

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and nice intro/story. That break is heartbreaking, but I'm with the others in taking it to another luthier. It looks nasty, but I think you will be surprised at how well it turns out

SBPGT

Reaction score
Arizona, Phoenix area...

I was hoping for a nice unnoticeable fix, but that probably cost at least 3x more. But if it's is fixed and the only cosmetic flaws are from the back I would be ok with that. I am the type that if you are going to fix it, fix it right, and might as well upgrade while your fixing it. All my hobbies cost more than I can afford: Cars(Racing, tools, garage stuff, more tools, car parts, etc), Music(instruments, amps), Electronics(Computers, TV, A/V equipment, audio equipment, amps, speakers, etc.), Photography, and so on... I just started a new career as a machinist, and of course now I want a Mill and Lathe in the garage too. :/

BGood

Reaction score
Arizona, Phoenix area...

I was hoping for a nice unnoticeable fix, but that probably cost at least 3x more.
Probably not. Big job is gluing, cosmetics are easy enough to do for a luthier.

Just by Googling a bit, I came down with a few things:

A luthier school that teaches repairing guitars. Teachers must supervise students work, so this should be a sure bet and not too expensive.
http://www.roberto-venn.com/

A few referrals here :
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228746

BGood

Reaction score
I'd put my money on the school.
If you can get good work done in your mouth at a dental school, I can't see this simple guitar repair task going bad.

Latest posts