Help restore Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro III

• Thread starter gil
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond Dave

Reaction score
First, these are great guitars. I had one a few years ago, sold it because I'm dumb, and just bought another (different model) Epi for $200 more. ANYWAY, these were Guitar Center/Musician's Friend exclusives. Nice chunky old school neck profile. They had a gloss top and open pore, satin finish back and neck.

I don't know why someone would sand down a pretty fast neck unless they thought it looked like a relic job, which it doesn't. Whatever you put on it, don't use anything with a gloss finish.

If it were me, I'd a) leave it as is, and if I couldn't, I'd b) apply some kind of wood stain followed by a very light coat of satin finish polyurethane. Maybe even matte. The necks and backs were NOT shiny at all.

Darkness

Reaction score
That is a big job with not necessarily a good result for someone with little knowledge on how to.
It could be. Never can tell what somebody can do until they try.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
Diamond Dave got it right. Hearing him describe the back of the body as “open pore satin finish” makes sense to me now.

I have a Trad II with the baseball neck. The finish is unusual on these guitars on the back. My feeling is that whatever was used on the back was more like a coating than a paint job under the satin finish.

Perhaps the original owner wanted to see how easy it would be to sand it off,
Not very easy I bet. I really don’t know why he would have done that, it’s a great playing guitar and the neck is smooth.

They are really one of Epiphone’s best kept secret as far as bang for the buck.

Pat

Latest posts