Here is an interesting one!

jwguitar

Reaction score
Personally I find my Teles to be the most comfortable to play so IMHO it makes perfect sense to use the "bones" of one as the foundation for whatever modifications one can make. Fender and G&L have both done some of this.
Yea I have to agree with you. The telecaster body provides a really good platform on which you can modify countless ways.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Yea I have to agree with you. The telecaster body provides a really good platform on which you can modify countless ways.
Yup, if you get one with a bath tub rout like a Nashville you can equip it with virtually any neck and middle pickups you like and still keep the typical Tele bridge pickup to retain that unique tonality.

This G&L Z3 with it's trio of Z-coil pickups might be one of my favorites.
1726051699883.jpeg

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
Here is a new guitar from Woodrite called the Firecaster. When you see it you’ll see why they chose that name!

The guitar is badass, and I'm in awe of your wonderful playing. Stellar! 🤩
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your excellent video! 👌

jwguitar

Reaction score
Yup, if you get one with a bath tub rout like a Nashville you can equip it with virtually any neck and middle pickups you like and still keep the typical Tele bridge pickup to retain that unique tonality.

This G&L Z3 with it's trio of Z-coil pickups might be one of my favorites.
View attachment 27043
I have never played those guitars before though the do look quite interesting. What is the purpose of having the split single coils instead of a straight single coil? Does it sound much different?

jwguitar

Reaction score
The guitar is badass, and I'm in awe of your wonderful playing. Stellar! 🤩
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your excellent video! 👌
thank you very much! I really appreciate your kind words about my music! I’m glad you like the guitar as well. It certainly is a unique instrument.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I have never played those guitars before though the do look quite interesting. What is the purpose of having the split single coils instead of a straight single coil? Does it sound much different?
Yes, it sounds quite different. First of all it's a humbucking pickup that sounds like a single coil but like other MFD pickups Leo designed it has incredible dynamic range and a much stronger output.

They're more typically used on a S-type model called the Comanche but the Tele style body Z3 is also available as an option order model. For the most part I actually prefer G&Ls to Fenders. Better features and value.

jwguitar

Reaction score
Yes, it sounds quite different. First of all it's a humbucking pickup that sounds like a single coil but like other MFD pickups Leo designed it has incredible dynamic range and a much stronger output.

They're more typically used on a S-type model called the Comanche but the Tele style body Z3 is also available as an option order model. For the most part I actually prefer G&Ls to Fenders. Better features and value.
Thank you for the explanation. I have heard a lot of guitar players say they prefer G&L over Fender. They seem to offer a lot more pickup options and their hardware is more “evolved.”

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation. I have heard a lot of guitar players say they prefer G&L over Fender. They seem to offer a lot more pickup options and their hardware is more “evolved.”
Both true and both due to Leo Fender's quest to improve on designs from his past. He was never one to rest on his laurels. Aside from the MFD pickups and PTB tonal controls the other major improvement was his Saddle Lock Bridge. You can see it in that photo of the Z-3 ASAT.

The underside has this piece that inserts into the body itself in line with the grain and the saddles themselves can be "locked" together by a grub screw on the side of the bridge proving better contact with the body and better transfer of string energy to the body for more sustain.
1726302151231.jpeg

He also created a much better dual fulcrum tremolo bridge.
1726302561672.jpeg

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
John Entwistle is famous for creating the Fender-Bird. He took a Gibson Firebird and put a Fender Precision neck on it. He also did that with an Explorer and a Precision neck.

He had at least 4 of Fender-Birds made up and he gave one to Leon Wilkeson of Lynyrd Skynyrd when they opened for the Who during their Quadrophenia tour.

Leon used that bass from about ‘75 until the plane crash and subsequent end of the original band.

Pat

Last edited:

jwguitar

Reaction score
Both true and both due to Leo Fender's quest to improve on designs from his past. He was never one to rest on his laurels. Aside from the MFD pickups and PTB tonal controls the other major improvement was his Saddle Lock Bridge. You can see it in that photo of the Z-3 ASAT.

The underside has this piece that inserts into the body itself in line with the grain and the saddles themselves can be "locked" together by a grub screw on the side of the bridge proving better contact with the body and better transfer of string energy to the body for more sustain.
View attachment 27059

He also created a much better dual fulcrum tremolo bridge.
View attachment 27060
I’ve always wondered with the G and L tremolo bridge. Is it leaning on the posts? It’s very hard to tell. It looks like a much better design that the original.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered with the G and L tremolo bridge. Is it leaning on the posts? It’s very hard to tell. It looks like a much better design that the original.
I'm not a big time tremolo guy but having experienced both the Fender and G&L versions I would opt for the G&L every time. It's much smoother. Here's more info on it.

Latest posts