Hey Scooby, it's an "RWRP" Mystery

Paully

Reaction score
Hi,
thanks for coming in to my thread ;)
I've got what's probably a simple question for all you guitar Gurus. I've Googled the living daylights out of the question and haven't been able to find a definitve answer.
First about my guitar:
Squier Strat SE
SSS Pick ups
1 Volume
2 Tones
Basic Strat Wiring
Tone Split Mod
Bournes Premium Pots 250k
CRL 5 Way Switch
Neck P'up = 5.75
Mid P'up = "RWRP" 5.75
Bridge P'up = 5.75.

Electrical Modifications:
Treble bleed = .0015 uf /.100k
Tone Split Circuit = "Knob 1"
Adjusts Neck & Middle p'ups. Running 250k audio potentiometer with .022 capacitor.
"Knob 2"
Adjusts Bridge p'up. Running 250k audio potentiometer with .047 capacitor.
So after all that data, here's whats probably a simple question.
The middle (RWRP) pick up is louder than the neck and/or bridge pick up. I know that it's not a hardwire fault as I've "dis" and "re" assembled the guitar three times. Each time with new components which were tested good with a D.M.M. before installation.
So, I know that it's a normal condition.
My question is: Why is the "RWRP" more sensitive than a normally wound pick up?
Thanks for assuaging my curiosity.
Paully

Steven Howes

Reaction score
RWRP? Reverse wound, reverse Phase? Could it just be something as simple as the pickup height? I know When I replaced my pickups I had to fiddle a bit so the the volumes were all fairly level without loosing the snap of a strat bridge pickup (which I love).

Paully

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. However,
There are no strings on the instrument at the present time.
Phenomena occurs when pole piece is tapped with a metallic object.

The Convert

Reaction score
I've noticed this, too. I do a lot of custom electronic work too. When I rewire, before i string, I plug into a little amp and tap with a fret rocker, and pretty consistently, on pos 3, the middle pickup seems to 'clack' the loudest (except maybe for the open bridge).

I don't have an answer for you, except to say that if this is the only unusual thing I observe, I've come to be confident to string it up and adjust the pup heights.

The only time I remember a problem where things were technically working, but still a sonic problem, was when mixing pups. As I recall, I had an SD SSL-5 neck, SD QP bridge, and the original Squier ceramic RWRP mid. In this case the mid was just too weak and so the 2 & 4 positions were squirrelly regardless of pup height, etc, even thought the tap test was loud. Once I popped in an SSL-1 RWRP, it was magical.

For you though, it sounds like you have a matched set of pups. I doubt you have any kind of wiring issue. At this point, unless someone else can think of something, I'd throw on $6 of strings and see what you really have.

Good luck!

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
I don't have the answer, but let me ask a stupid question. Do you get the same effect with the RWRP is the only connected pup or if it is connected to a different switch position. You might have to download a dB meter app to your phone for this.

Edit: Never mind. The Convert's idea sounds better.

Last edited:

Paully

Reaction score
Well guys,
I went back under the hood and hit everything with the V.O.M.
Middle still reads good, however Neck and Bridge came up 0.0k.
Did a visual on the circuit, top to bottom. No problem there.
Took Neck & Bridge completely out and removed the covers. Both exhibited a break in the wire that's wrapped around the bobbin.
Don't understand why the Neck & Bridge would be broken and the Middle survived whatever broke the other 2.
Ordered a new set of pick ups. So it should be up and running soon.
Thanks for the assistance.

Latest posts