HNGD Lee Malia Custom Artisan - Pic Heavy

• Thread starter Hedon09
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hedon09

Reaction score
Pics first:
ipSnLBBWj

p8zvzC6Mj

ey40DKKLj

exklj28Cj

pckZyMvKj

patLjEK1j

ipop9huTj

ipTwfUClj

exZpr0WBj

exbbQnFbj

p9pNv3uQj

eyXfy8ZNj

p9GkVxX7j

eyTNISM4j

exXPeeN6j

f0lSj4oTj

exvFqBAgj

So my Lee Malia Custom arrived today. After a first inspection there were several little flaws as you can see in the pictures. Mostly some little cracks in the finish. There was a little amount of white stuff (laquer?) below the dot-marker of the 19th fret. Took a bit of carefull polishing of the spot to get rid of it to the amount where i was ok with it.
What i found more disturbing is the wild slotting of the nut. This will be exchanged to a bone nut in the future.
Nevertheless i instantly bonded with the fiddle. The top has a nice subtle figuration. Not as dramatic as the tops i've seen in epis advertises but a nicer grain than the one i tried in Palma de Mallorca. It has a 3 piece body (pretty heavy, though i haven't weighted it yet)and a 2piece neck. The rosewood of the fretboard has been stained for a darker color. As you can see on the pictures this hasn't been done the most exact way on the edges. The inlays are nicely done, as is the complete binding.
The neck is somewhere beween the Baseball bat of my Bonamassa and the 60s neck of my T+, tending strongly towards the 60s neck direction.
The neck joint is nicely done, no visible gaps. It's actually more precise than the joints of the Bonamassa and the T+.
I really like the pickup-combi. The p90 in the neck has some really nice clean Tones going on. The 84T in the Bridge reminds me somehow of the 498T i once had in an epi lp Studio. It has this strong, biting mid-crunch without getting as honky as the 498T did. Very good for cutting rythm tones. Coil splitted it gives a very nice and responsive middle position combined with the p90.
All in all the guitar seems more mid-heavy than my T+ or my Bonamassa. I think this will change a bit, as soon as I put on the graphtech resomax bridge i've ordered. They have added more bottom to my other les pauls as well.
The wiring Job is ok, alpha pots. Might change the toggle Switch someday. After getting used to the switchcraft toggle in my T+ this one seems a tad to flubby for me. Not an urgent matter though.
Strung her up with 11-52 d'addarios. The neck relief was a bit too much with the stock strings (10-46 i guess) but with the heavier gauge it seems to be just fine.

Reading through the first part of my post, you might get the impression of a slight disappointment concerning the craftmanship but since the flaws are very small i don't care too much. The guitar sounds very good, plays very well and is extremely sexy.

Finally a short clip i've recorded to give a little impression. This is ment to be a guitar for heavy music, so this is what you will hear

https://soundcloud.com/hedon09/epiphone-lee-malia-artisan-custom-test

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
HNLMCAGD
Sounded good in the clip, & nice playing.
Good that you're not too put off by a few minor cosmetic flaws, ALL guitars have em, even the $7-8k ones.
I too am surprise by the cut work on that nut though, seems pretty sloppy for a model like this. We'll blame that, & the fret board staining on QC.
All taken into consideration, still, a very Nice looking guitar.
Most of the reviews I've read are giving praise to the pup combination, so much so that I wonder when Epiphone will start using them in other models.
Looking forward to an update, after the nut, & bridge swap. Hope it renders the results you're looking for.

Congrats on a SWEEEET Custom:wow:

Hedon09

Reaction score
Thank you all! After having a night of sleep over it my affection to the guitar is even growing. Took it just to the scales...this thing is heavy! 4,4kg, which gives it 0,5kg more than my T+ and Bonamassa (both 3,9kg). With the weight differences that much i wondered wether it's just different or more wood. Well, the Bonamassa and the T+ have a thickness of the bodysides of 48 mm while the Lee Malia actually is 50 mm thick. That gives some clue why this Model is that much heavier.
Also exchanged the white switch-tip for a black one. I don't really get, why epiphone is using white plastics on this one (switch tip & nut). Ivory fits the guitar much better, given that the binding is of ivory color.
Also ordered a graph tech tusq nut for exchanging the weird cutted nut. Since these come pre-slotted i hope, i'll manage to do this on my own, following the informations given in the epiphone-setup-guide on mylespaul.com.
By the way, I still can't help the feeling that this actually has a maple-top allthough not stated in the specs on epiphone.com. On the picture with the neck joint you can see a small unpainted spot below the fretboard which is a much lighter wood than any kind of mahagony i've seen up to now.
Given this and the statement in this official epiphone announcement video I think that these actually do have maple tops.

Last edited:

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
At about the 1:52 mark the announcer does state a maple top, although, to me, it does have the look of mahogany.
For comparison, here's my gibby lp, all hog, refinished in clear only.
DSCI3529_zps6del1pk2.jpg

Hedon09

Reaction score
That is exactly what i meant. I think there is a veneer to get the walnut look they are going for. By the way, the back has a veneer, too

Hedon09

Reaction score
I've sent an email to Epiphone, maybe they will answer the question

Last edited:

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure an 8 year old could do a better job on cutting that nut. That's a pretty awful job.

Hedon09

Reaction score
Looks somehow as if the craftman got a serious shock while cutting the nut :wow: or as if he had a serious tremor

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Lol, looks like a third grader might have done a better job:shock:
I'll second, or third the veneer idea, you said it's a 3 piece body, & that top looks like one piece to me.

cybermgk

Reaction score
Welcome to the Lee Malia club!

Pics don't show for me, for some reason

Sorry bout what I read is an issue (mine didn't have those). Nice clip.

Since, I imagine, what is in Europe, is the last of the limited run that went there, wonder if there are possible QC issues as they get to the last of them?

Latest posts