Hoping for some help with my new Epiphone

Cnelson720

Reaction score
Just recently bought a 2020 Epiphone lea Paul standard 60’s In bourbon burst. I love how it looks. I have been fighting with feet buzz since I bought it. Is this typical? I’m afraid it might need fret work. I’ve adjusted truss rod and action on all my other guitars and I’ve been able to at least get rid of buzz through the amp.

I get buzz all over the fret board. Neck is about straight, just a small amount of relief. I’ve tried giving it more and less, either way it gets worse. Getting buzz at the 3rd fret 4th string, 9th fret 4th string, and 17th on the Low E. Action is pretty high, I’d say I have about the spacing of one low E below my low E. I get no buzz on my first 3 strings. Right now my action is slightly higher on the bass side of the bridge.

been pretty frustrated with this thing, I really want it as it sounds great when not playing those frets! I don’t want to have to return it. What can I do?

I have a sound clip of my guitar if anyone wants it. I would have to post it differently as I’m not allowed to post links yet

thank you

BGood

Reaction score
You might have a few high frets. Use a credit card to check. Make sure you cover 3 frets at a time, no more, no less. Do it on and around the frets you think are buzzing. If the card rocks, middle fret is high. Sometimes you just have to tap it down to sit it properly. To do that, use a small hammer and a small piece of wood standing up ot the fret, a hard wood dowel is good for that. Test and try again if it didn't help. If it doesn't want to stay down, it might have to be glued down. If once down and not moving it is still too high, it will have to be filed down and dressed.

Last edited:

Keefoman

Reaction score
Not unusual with Epiphones to need some fretwork. Buy a straight edge tool, a fret levelling kit and some very fine sandpaper / steel wool to polish your frets. If you're not comfortable dressing frets yourself, take it to a guitarshop or luthier to get it done.

Last edited:

Maguchi

Reaction score
Just recently bought a 2020 Epiphone lea Paul standard 60’s In bourbon burst. I love how it looks. I have been fighting with feet buzz since I bought it. Is this typical? I’m afraid it might need fret work. I’ve adjusted truss rod and action on all my other guitars and I’ve been able to at least get rid of buzz through the amp.

I get buzz all over the fret board. Neck is about straight, just a small amount of relief. I’ve tried giving it more and less, either way it gets worse. Getting buzz at the 3rd fret 4th string, 9th fret 4th string, and 17th on the Low E. Action is pretty high, I’d say I have about the spacing of one low E below my low E. I get no buzz on my first 3 strings. Right now my action is slightly higher on the bass side of the bridge.

been pretty frustrated with this thing, I really want it as it sounds great when not playing those frets! I don’t want to have to return it. What can I do?

I have a sound clip of my guitar if anyone wants it. I would have to post it differently as I’m not allowed to post links yet

thank you
You might need a fret level or fret dress job. A luthier can check it out for you and advise you on work needed to be done.

Norton

Reaction score
97% of the time high frets can be tapped into place.

I like the brass fret setters.

Epiphones aren’t the only guitars out there that need fretwork and setups new out of the box. That’s a very common thing.

A good setup, not a “guitar center” (sorry).....setup...but a good setup is totally worth it.

Norton

Reaction score
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
That is f**king hilarious.

How many times did you see those bikes with the gooseneck backwards or the forks put together wrong? Oh man.

Thank you for that

Raiyn

Reaction score
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
That is f**king hilarious.

How many times did you see those bikes with the gooseneck backwards or the forks put together wrong? Oh man.

Thank you for that
You're quite welcome. I worked as a wrench in a proper bicycle shop, I saw more than my fair share of bicycle shaped objects.
Another mantra from back in the day. "WD40 is NOT chainlube!" As an example, I had a bike chain that was frozen stiff with rust that I took off a Wally World bike. The owner claimed they lubricated it with WD40 "all the time" which is why it held its drive train configuration so well...

Raiyn

Reaction score
Indeed!!!!

They should market wd40 as a dirt magnet.
I used to use that chain as a demonstration piece. It was virtually welded together by rust. Made a few chain lube sales I might have missed otherwise. By contrast, Boeshield is an excellent choice for a chain lube that can be used in other applications. In fact, I use it to lubricate the rollers on roller bridges and my open gear tuners.

WytchCrypt

Reaction score
I used to use that chain as a demonstration piece. It was virtually welded together by rust. Made a few chain lube sales I might have missed otherwise. By contrast, Boeshield is an excellent choice for a chain lube that can be used in other applications. In fact, I use it to lubricate the rollers on roller bridges and my open gear tuners.

I also play pedal steel guitar and the changer is a complex metal mechanism that needs to be regularly lubed. On the Steel Guitar Forum are countless horror stories of owners who used WD40 over the years only to find the changer's moving parts became a virtually single piece of block metal :facepalm: Common practice over there is to recommend either a very light oil or a dry teflon lube spray. I actually use model train engine oil on my recently built Mullen 12 string and teflon lube spray on my late 60's Fender 400 ;)

Raiyn

Reaction score
I also play pedal steel guitar and the changer is a complex metal mechanism that needs to be regularly lubed. On the Steel Guitar Forum are countless horror stories of owners who used WD40 over the years only to find the changer's moving parts became a virtually single piece of block metal :facepalm: Common practice over there is to recommend either a very light oil or a dry teflon lube spray. I actually use model train engine oil on my recently built Mullen 12 string and teflon lube spray on my late 60's Fender 400 ;)
So far, I've only used the Boeshield on the easily accessible / replaceable parts on electric guitars. I'd imagine it'd work pretty good on a changer, especially if a Teflon lube is acceptable. It's basically paraffin in a solvent, it gets in all the nooks and crannies and it stays pretty damn well. I tried four different lubes on my ancient jalousie windows and while they all loosened up the vents, within a year the other three were done. 15 years later the Boeshield window still cranks nicely.

Sorry, @Cnelson720 like the others said: New axe? Take it back.

Latest posts