How many acoustic guitars do you have/want? How many acoustic guitars do you really need?

• Thread starter steak&chips
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
I only have one. It's a short-scale travel guitar with a cutaway and a preamp inside. It is slightly shorter than a grand auditorium shape so it fits into a classical guitar gigbag.
With its thin neck that feels like an electric's and its small body with a matte finish, it is really comfortable.

As to its sound, it is entirely made of okoume (slightly brighter than mahogany), with a solid top. Unplugged, it sounds OK but doesn't project much due to its small size. Once plugged into an acoustic amp, though, it sounds really good.

To conclude, I love playing it and I also enjoy lending it to kids / teenagers as a starter guitar.

I wish the manufacturer would make a solid top and solid back and sides version of it. It would be fantastic!

Mimmo

Reaction score
I have sold some stuff lately with the intention of keeping only the essentials. Electric wise my #1 is a Fender Telecaster AV52.

Acoustic wise I have these three: Gibson J-45 Original 50s, Adamas 1687-8 GT and a 1976 Ovation Classic 1613.

Screenshot_20240727-144459_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240727-144456_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240727-144516_Gallery.jpg

I also own an Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500 MCE but I never play it as it has been signed.

Screenshot_20240727-144502_Gallery.jpg

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Only one.....
Currently I don't think I need more

VY1RLuc.jpg

I guess I was wrong.....

WbBmpd3.jpg

ux2qfbB.jpg

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I have just one. A Takamine GN93CE. Sounds great amplified.
takamine3.jpg
One thing I've always loved about guitars is there's no bag limit on 'em and ya' don't have to throw the small ones back. But I hear some do a kinda catch and release thing most of us refer to as flipping. All things considered there's probably too bloody many guitars but I guess around here we're all doin' our part to keep the world from gettin' over run by 'em. Good public service don't cha know. ;)

Johnny Dubs

Reaction score
Two.

A 1992 Takamine acoustic/electric (my first purchase) and a 1934 etched National Duolian (I didn’t pay a cent, it was my grandma’s.)

I need them both and want for none.

Last edited:

Johnny Dubs

Reaction score
I have just one. A Takamine GN93CE. Sounds great amplified.
View attachment 26636
One thing I've always loved about guitars is there's no bag limit on 'em and ya' don't have to throw the small ones back. But I hear some do a kinda catch and release thing most of us refer to as flipping. All things considered there's probably too bloody many guitars but I guess around here we're all doin' our part to keep the world from gettin' over run by 'em. Good public service don't cha know. ;)

No limits, no cops.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Well, I just did a guitar semi purge. I sold 8 guitars, one of which was my Ovation. I just didn't need it. So for steel string Acoustics, I'm left with my beat up 1983 Ibanez AE405TV and my Taylor 210 Deluxe. I might have another Taylor on the way though.

Equalphone

Reaction score
I have two, both 6 string steel.

My "only played indoors" acoustic is a Giannini Craviola, one of the last handmade Brazilian models from the early 90's. All Rosewood sides & book-matched back. It was just before CITES came to town. Mahogany neck. Beautiful guitars.

Stock photo:

1724208272814.png

The other is a Brownsville A/E. Was the house brand at some large retailer. I think this one was $270 new but I grabbed it used. They don't sell for much now but with a little fret work and a good set of tuners they're actually a very nice playing guitar. It was cheap enough that I don't mind taking it down to the lake or other places that aren't really safe for an acoustic:

Stock photo:

1724208538506.png

Solid Paul

Reaction score
I just have one, and personally I think you only really need one acoustic, unless you are using different tunings a lot. Two acoustics would make sense to me if you also played classical guitar.
Here is what I have right now, a Recording King RD-318 (D-18 clone)
RK guitar small.jpg

steak&chips

Reaction score
I can see as strong an argument for having a good range of acoustics, just as much as there is an argument for having a varying range of electric guitars. 6-string, a 12-string, jumbos, dreadnoughts, parlours all have a place. Knowing now what I prefer (after having gone through a number of guitars, some of which I loved and others not so much), if constructing an array of guitars from scratch, I’d go with a majority acoustic. Two hollow body electrics (P90s and Humbuckers), one 6-string jumbo, one 12-string dreadnought, a full mahogany dreadnought and a parlour guitar.

SJS

Reaction score
I have 4...a 512 Taylor, a beginner level Fender, a Yamaha 60s vintage classical, and my pride and joy...a 1978 Guild G37. The only ones I play are the Guild and the Yamaha. The Taylor is a Taylor. It sounds good but the Guild is fastened to me at the hip. The Fender I'll keep because it was a gift from my cousin who recently passed away. The Yamaha is absolutely stellar. So..if push ever comes to shove, the Guild stays. So do I need the others? Not really but they all have a story.

Mike Hickey

Reaction score
One good one is plenty. I have enough trouble juggling my different sounding electric guitars. That's the beauty of an acoustic, it is what it is. Get a good one and don't give it a second thought.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
I have 3, two purely acoustic ones and a terrible Esteban acoustic-electric one I picked up from a pawn for almost nothing, literally on the way to do an audition for a church gig I didn't get. I ended up using the latter and the 12-er for my existing church gig. The two purely acoustic ones are the 6-string I learned on (no-name MIJ that had been my dad's), and a beater Yamaha 12-string (Taiwan, '70s).

The two acoustics are in this group shot (the mandolin was one I had borrowed from my Dad at the time; likewise the longneck banjo had been his too).

acoustics.jpg

Here's the Esteban acoustic-electric:

Esteban500.jpg

I don't really "need" any of these, as my main band since the '90s plays punk rock and roll. I have used them in prior side band and church band gigs though.

BK 12string W Cinnamon Hill.jpeg

BK church 12-string.jpg

Latest posts