How to connect a guitar to a PC

• Thread starter Mark
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
Hey guys, some dude on Google just posted an article for hooking your guit to a PC for under $6. Those of you who know me know that I'm a geek into recording with software as opposed to setting up a room full of mics and a recorder (I'm partially disabled and can't do all that work anymore). So check this out if interested;

http://teckguide.blogspot.com/2014/10/guitar-to-pc.html

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
That's pretty easy, & simple. Add a free recording software (like Audacity) & you're in there, like a thong:naughty:
Seems to me, you could use this same process to incorporate one, two, or as many pedals as you want.
The better your soundcard, the better the results, I would think.

Mark

Reaction score
That's pretty easy, & simple. Add a free recording software (like Audacity) & you're in there, like a thong:naughty:
Seems to me, you could use this same process to incorporate one, two, or as many pedals as you want.
The better your soundcard, the better the results, I would think.

I got started in this with Guitar Rig software that came with my Epi 339-Ultra, the Ultra has a USB port to plug in with. It's a full-blown software with all the effects, amps and speaker cabs built in. What I found interesting is that you can buy pedals to operate it, but they're like $250, so I have passed so far (I'm not as active as I used to be and can't justify it). But man I want them! :D

IMG_20130504_193115_zpsxujqcddc.jpg

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-5-pro/

Last edited:

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
:wow:$250!! they must really be proud of that pedal:hmm:
I picked up a yamaha thr-10 last year, for less than that pedal, I use it with audacity for what little recording I do.
All I really need for now, probably all I'll ever need at this point. I'm just making sound clips of the pickups I wind, & posting them on soundcloud, & over at MLP. Not really much of a player anymore, I work/tweak/tinker more than I really play nowadays, but I still enjoy beatin it around a few hrs a wk.

Mark

Reaction score
:wow:$250!! they must really be proud of that pedal:hmm:
I picked up a yamaha thr-10 last year, for less than that pedal, I use it with audacity for what little recording I do.
All I really need for now, probably all I'll ever need at this point. I'm just making sound clips of the pickups I wind, & posting them on soundcloud, & over at MLP. Not really much of a player anymore, I work/tweak/tinker more than I really play nowadays, but I still enjoy beatin it around a few hrs a wk.

The pedal was like all the other typical digital ones. It has 5 or 6 buttons and a "wah/volume" pedal on the end. I suppose it's just tweaked for their software?

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
The pedal was like all the other typical digital ones. It has 5 or 6 buttons and a "wah/volume" pedal on the end. I suppose it's just tweaked for their software?
That'd be my guess as well. It's probably set up to where you plug your guitar into it, then a usb from it to the computer to interact with that software. Like you said, "Tweaked"
This would probably be real handy for jams (which is what Guitar rig is for, I guess), stompbox on the fly, instead of stop, click the mouse on this or that, then start playing again.
I'll have to see if the tube has any vids on Guitar rig, I'm sure they do, you can find almost anything on there

RTH

Reaction score
I've plugged my guitar into a computer this way in the past. It has its downfalls, like a lack of effects, monitoring and computer speaker limitations. But essentially, its just like plugging a mic into your computer. I'm much happier with my Fender Mustang and the Fuse software.

andyb0378

Reaction score
Ive tried it that way. Only problem I had was latency problems when recording (sound coming out of the speakers is delayed from what you actually play on the guitar). That was with Audacity.

RTH

Reaction score
Yeah, if you are trying to record, it doesnt work very well. Better off with an amp and a mic so you can turn off the speakers.

Mark

Reaction score
Sounds like you guys need my software as opposed to Audacity (and maybe a computer fast enough to keep up, not sure on that one?). I use 2 different software packages. The Guitar Rig and another German one called Ableton that came with another device of mine.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-5-pro/

https://www.ableton.com/en/

What I liked about Guitar Rig is that you can use Jimi Hendrix's Marshall head with Eric Clapton's speaker cabs, or any combination you like and reproduce whatever sound you want. It literally has hundreds of things built into it, any head and any cab.

I don't know if either has a free demo trial, but might be worth looking into?

I just dink around myself anymore. Thanks to Malikon I download backing tracks off of Youtube and record playing around with those. There's lots of Pink Floyd-y tracks. :D

Last edited:

RTH

Reaction score
I used to use Acid Pro, but now I have Ableton Lite. It came with my Mustang. The weird thing is that I am having slight latency issues on my newer Win 8.1 machine with a stupid-fast i5 processor and 8 gigs of RAM. When I was recording to my older Compaq Proliant Server (set up as a desktop) with a 2.4 ghz Zeon processor and 2 gigs of RAM, there was no latency.

Mark

Reaction score
I used to use Acid Pro, but now I have Ableton Lite. It came with my Mustang. The weird thing is that I am having slight latency issues on my newer Win 8.1 machine with a stupid-fast i5 processor and 8 gigs of RAM. When I was recording to my older Compaq Proliant Server (set up as a desktop) with a 2.4 ghz Zeon processor and 2 gigs of RAM, there was no latency.

Did that Zeon cook dinner too while you played? LOL Wish I had one of those!

I'm running an old Asus G73 with an i7 and 8 gigs. I suppose it kicks butt since it was a gaming rig? I never had any issues myself, that's why I was grabbing at speed straws.

It might also be Windows 8 since it has a completely different sub-system and operation? I'm currently running the Windows 10 Preview and no problem with it? I was running Win7 before.

RTH

Reaction score
I suppose the Zeon in addition to the type of RAM it had may have played a part in it. I know server RAM is typically higher quality than regular PC RAM. I have slots for two Zeons, but sadly only have one in it. I was also running XP Professional. I've read tutorials on way to get rid of the latency, but havent tried it.

But yeah, that Zeon was the shit! I've owned a lot of computers, but that processor was the most stable I've ever used. I wanted to set it up as a recording machine, but after Microsoft killed support for XP, they kind of screwed that up for me. I have a legit XP disk (several actually) all pre-service packs or SP1. So yeah, I cant download ANY updates without IE8 and I cant install IE8 without certain updates. That means no .NET architecture and no Silverlight to run my recording programs. Bastids! :mad:

Last edited:

RTH

Reaction score
Oh, and I cant get Fender Fuse to work on my Win8 machine, so I have to set up my laptop to run Fuse and then switch over to the other compter to use Ableton. The laptop isnt fast enough to record with. It has a Pentium 4 and 256 megs of RAM. lol.

Mark

Reaction score
Oh, and I cant get Fender Fuse to work on my Win8 machine, so I have to set up my laptop to run Fuse and then switch over to the other compter to use Ableton. The laptop isnt fast enough to record with. It has a Pentium 4 and 256 megs of RAM. lol.

Have you tried any of the compatibility modes? It sometimes takes a few hours to sort through all the settings, so it depends on what it's worth to you? I have managed to get a few things working that didn't otherwise.

I got Win8 the day it came out and had a lot of issues with CAD and animation software. Went to 8.1 when it came out and it fixed a few things and broke others. I went back to Win7 in the meantime, but then Win10 when that became available. I like to play with software and computers as much as guitar. ;)

RTH

Reaction score
Yep. I've tried it all. I spent hours on the Fender forum reading through fixes and workarounds. Win 8.1 sees the amp just fine, but Fuse doesnt.

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score
@Mark you should check out the set upI use it's cheapand yet better than most of the products around costing 2 or 3 time more. I use the Harley Benton TableAmp. coupled with Guitar Rig or Amplitube (free version avaiable from website) through Cubase 5. This little amp is fantastic either as a interface for my PC or as a stand alone practice amp for late night sessions.

This amp only costs around £65 at the moment from thomann. (international shipping £25 on this item to america) http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_tableamp.htm and has quite a list of features.

Compatible with Windows and MacOS
Guitar combo with USB and MIDI interface for practising and recording
Stereo channel 2 × 5 watt
2 × 4" 16 Ohm broadband loudspeakers
Guitar input (unbalanced 1/4" phone socket)
Microphone input (balanced XLR socket) with switchable phantom power (48 V)
Effects loop
Line out (L — R)
AUX input (CD, MP3, Laptop)
Phones output (1/8" mini phone socket)
AD converter with up to 24 bit/192 kHz
MIDI IN/OUT (connection to external midi equipment & controllers), to use with 44,1 or 48 kHz, 24 Bit Compatible with Windows and MacOS
Separate volume controls for overall volume
Guitar (with push-pull switch for USB bypass)
Microphone (with push-pull switch for USB bypass)
33.6 cm × 18.6 cm × 15 cm

Last edited:

Mark

Reaction score
@Mark you should check out the set upI use it's cheapand yet better than most of the products around costing 2 or 3 time more. I use the Harley Benton TableAmp. coupled with Guitar Rig or Amplitube (free version avaiable from website) through Cubase 5. This little amp is fantastic either as a interface for my PC or as a stand alone practice amp for late night sessions.

This amp only costs around £65 at the moment from thomann. (international shipping £25 on this item to america) http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_tableamp.htm and has quite a list of features.

Compatible with Windows and MacOS
Guitar combo with USB and MIDI interface for practising and recording
Stereo channel 2 × 5 watt
2 × 4" 16 Ohm broadband loudspeakers
Guitar input (unbalanced 1/4" phone socket)
Microphone input (balanced XLR socket) with switchable phantom power (48 V)
Effects loop
Line out (L — R)
AUX input (CD, MP3, Laptop)
Phones output (1/8" mini phone socket)
AD converter with up to 24 bit/192 kHz
MIDI IN/OUT (connection to external midi equipment & controllers), to use with 44,1 or 48 kHz, 24 Bit Compatible with Windows and MacOS
Separate volume controls for overall volume
Guitar (with push-pull switch for USB bypass)
Microphone (with push-pull switch for USB bypass)
33.6 cm × 18.6 cm × 15 cm

Wow that's a cool little amp! Currently though since I'm laid up, plugging a USB cable into my laptop is about all I can muster, hence my fascination with Guitar Rig and Ableton. I can no longer drag out my effects board and everything either and plug it all in, so I'm pretty much forced to take the easy route.

Alty

Reaction score
Or how about a amPlug 2 (About £32) or amPlug I/O (About £50 but it's a new product so may come down).

http://www.voxamps.com/headphone

Been also trying Studio One (Free Version and use the method mentioned in the original article linked in the first post, with an Electro through a looper) SW which is a good DAW for free, we also have a Mustang here with the associated SW but not tried it yet.

(Just as a reminder....If you buy a SH Mustang then you can get the SW (Ableton Lite etc....) re-issued with new Serial No.s to you by getting in touch with Fender)

preview (Small).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts