How to remove tarnish from hardware

Dudemeister

Reaction score
I'm not sure this belongs here, but here it goes.

Now that I have some extra time around the house, I thought I 'd start cleaning my guitars. The problem I have is that some of them (the ones that don't get a lot of use) have hardware that has tarnished.

What do you guys use to remove the tarnish without removing the finish? Also some of the guitars have gold hardware, and After I tried Brasso in a couple of spots, it's obvious that stuff can't be used, it removes the gold plating in a heartbeat.

So what do you guys use to clean the tarnish off?

Dudemeister

Reaction score
That's for that, I checked it and sound interesting.

Meanwhile, closer to home, I asked my wife about this, and she gave me metal polishing cloth she has. It's actually two different type of cloth, and they both have some kind of cleaning or polishing compound in them The gray cloth removes tarnish, and the yellow cloth polishes. It obviously requires some elbow grease, but it works well, and it didn't remove any of the gold plating.

Moral of the story, always ask your smarter half.

Last edited:

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
That's for that, I checked it and sound interesting.

Meanwhile, closer to home, I asked my wife about this, and she gave me metal polishing cloth she has. It's actually two different type of cloth, and they both have some kind of cleaning or polishing compound in them The gray cloth removes tarnish, and the yellow cloth polishes. It obviously requires some elbow grease, but it works well, and it didn't remove any of the gold plating.

Moral of the story, always ask your smarter half.

Did you read between the lines? "When you're done with that guitar stuff, polish the silverware and brass fixtures in the house." :)

IGRocker

Reaction score
I use a white scotchbrite pad or 0000 steel wool, depending on how bad the hardware is worn. They changed the style for all of the Scotchbrite pads recently, and I haven’t had a chance to try the new style, for what it’s worth.

mmn

Reaction score
You all probably know this, but any metal polish contains mild abrasives and if used enough will eventually start to remove finish, as will your fingers through normal use.

IGRocker

Reaction score
You all probably know this, but any metal polish contains mild abrasives and if used enough will eventually start to remove finish, as will your fingers through normal use.
Yep, it’ll wear regardless. Most of my bridge and tail piece have faded to the nickel plating underneath the gold where my hand rests.

IGRocker

Reaction score
@AJ6stringsting most of the plating on the outer edges of the pickups is gone now too. When I ordered the pickups, I only ordered them slightly aged to match the rest of the hardware, so most of it is from natural playing wear. It looks pretty good now!

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
Epiphone’s gold plating is slightly better than it used to be but will still wear.

Same with the nickel. If you don’t wipe your hardware down every time it’s a matter of time.

I really love Lizard Spit fretboard cleaner and I realized too late that it takes the gold plating right off Epiphone pickups. Luckily it was only one guitar.

On the other hand, I just bought their guitar polish and it leaves a clean shine with no buildup and is pickup friendly.

The only gold plating I have that has lasted is my Epi Sheraton where the previous owner switched all the hardware to Gibby.

It still looks brand new.

Pat

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
@AJ6stringsting most of the plating on the outer edges of the pickups is gone now too. When I ordered the pickups, I only ordered them slightly aged to match the rest of the hardware, so most of it is from natural playing wear. It looks pretty good now!
That's why I laugh at people who buy " Aged " guitars, guitar hardware and now I heard of aged pedals .
It's great to get " Aged " things to match already aged guitars , but it's wierd when people pay extra to buy new gear that look like they were stored under a full well / spring .
Let nature take care of the aging process.

Raiyn

Reaction score
That's why I laugh at people who buy " Aged " guitars, guitar hardware and now I heard of aged pedals .
It's great to get " Aged " things to match already aged guitars , but it's wierd when people pay extra to buy new gear that look like they were stored under a full well / spring .
Let nature take care of the aging process.
I never understood the whole "reliced" thing. Spending money to artificially make something look like you beat the crap out of it everyday for years (or for that matter doing it yourself) never sat right with me.

I'm fairly careful with things I spend good money on. That doesn't mean museum curator careful, but when there is a ding or a scratch, I know how it got there and can relay the story however mundane. These reliced things have no story, no soul, they are false representations of a life unlived.

Reliced guitars are for posers. Clean and maintain your gear and let time do the aging. Doing a bit of artificial aging to match existing hardware is a different animal, but it can be a slippery slope.

Keefoman

Reaction score
Why would you? Guitars that are being used, will eventually show some wear. It's completely natural. If you want to keep you guitar in a 100% pristine condition; Don't use it, and keep it in it's case or a monter.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I was pretty happy with Miracle Cloth last time I did a round of cleaning on my fleet.

Autosol Metal Polish on the bench that I'm going to try out on something than needs a bit more love.

Again, I don't own any gold tone hardware so YMMV.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Man, I was going to send my 1971 Gibson Medallion Series Flying V into Gibson for a repaint, but I decided to keep her as is .

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
There's probably some collector out there drooling over the thought of your axe as is.

Twenty-five to thirty years ago, they would have said, " Okay, the guitar has some buckle rash in the back ( dock $ 100.00 ) , the tuning keys are tarnished ( dock $ 200.00 ) and the finish is worn ( dock another $ 300.00 ) " .....

I wonder if it will go back to those selling / buying criteria again 🤔?

Latest posts