I’ve bought 4 Epiphones in the last couple of months

• Thread starter 3bolt79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Convert

Reaction score
I’ve experienced the “Inspired by” EPI’s to be of great quality. Do I still want the Gibson SG? Yes I do, but I will have to wait.

That's fantastic!

I went through a long run, searching for *my* SG. Over that time I owned some Epi worn and G-400s. Since then I also owned a coupe of Gibson Tributes, a pelham blue Standard and a '61 GibUSA reissue.

None of them were bad guitars and, while I did enjoy the Gib Stds a lot, I didn't keep any of them. Unexpectedly, I found my "SG" in the form of a PRS McCarty 594 S2 Thinline. Basically the same composition, very similar tone but a very different feel.

For me, no single cut PRS comes close to a LP, but the Thiniine McCarty is (for me) a delightful improvement on the instrument that inspired it.

YMMV, of course, and I'm just sharing my experience. I hope you keep loving your SG adventure!

Raiyn

Reaction score
Wouldn't know, I hate poutine :frown:
5y5ne2.jpg

3bolt79

Reaction score
Well it’s Saturday. Free 2 day shipping my ass! The guitar still hasn’t come. Was supposed to be here Wednesday. Oh well.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Well it’s Saturday. Free 2 day shipping my ass! The guitar still hasn’t come. Was supposed to be here Wednesday. Oh well.

Who ships asses for free? UPS or FedEx? I know the post office won't. Already checked. Given the weight of mine I'm looking for as much economy as possible. :io:

And as for those four purchases. You could leave a few for the rest of us ya' know. :D

maxresdefault.jpg

microclubdj

Reaction score
Epiphone is killing it lately! I bought 3 really nice Epi's over the last few years, most recent being a new Prophecy LP.
The allure of a Gibson is steadily fading away with all the big YouTubers pointing out QC issues that are unacceptable for guitars at that price point. QC issues that are not easily fixable. And I don't care about resale value because I don't want to sell them. Even if I did need to sell them I will take great care of them and likely not take a major bath on any sale. I'd rather own 3-5 amazing guitars that I might need to upgrade (although I swapped tuners on one of my Epi's, otherwise they are as is and perfect) than 1 guitar that I have so much into I'm afraid to take it out of the case, and later might lose a lot of money on. Will Gibson hold its value? Maybe. Probably. But that's a game for investor types. However, two of my Epi's are limited run signature models that are extremely scarce on the used market and selling for more than I bought them for. I'm keeping them though.
Guitars you have: X
Guitars you need: X+1

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
You need to try out some 'MiJ' guitars....

You'll forget about wanting any Gibson
View attachment 16732

It’s very flattering how western folks love Japanese made products. Just be careful not to buy lower priced/older guitars that were made in Japan from the 80s to maybe late 90s/early 2000s. There are a lot of Grecos, Arias and other smaller brands that used Sen (google says it’s “castor aralia” in English) which… actually, I’d be surprised if those are still available for sale because I would’ve thought those had disintegrated by now :D. Just stick with the high end stuff.

I guess if you are curious, there’s a whole assortment of plywood les pauls, castor aralia type instruments in all shapes and sizes, lower end grassroots models of signature models from the 90s-2000s visual-Kei boom etc… those are things you folks probably won’t hear too much of, but yeah…. those are real pieces of work :D the higher end LPs/ Strats are now getting expensive though because of the local “Japan vintage” boom.

Imerkat

Reaction score
22 in a year wow! I wish i could keep all my guitars; i regret always selling. I had all the 1962 run of reissues at one point (except the sorrento) now they are selling like Gibsons.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Just be careful not to buy lower priced/older guitars that were made in Japan from the 80s to maybe late 90s/early 2000s. There are a lot of Grecos, Arias and other smaller brands that used Sen (google says it’s “castor aralia” in English) which… actually, I’d be surprised if those are still available for sale because I would’ve thought those had disintegrated by now :D. Just stick with the high end stuff.

Not every 'MiJ' guitar is a good guitar....

Personally I prefer the newer ones,
all of my FGNs I had and have were made 2010 or later

https://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/fgn-fujigen-guitars-japan.97/

Nduro

Reaction score
Epiphone is killing it lately! I bought 3 really nice Epi's over the last few years, most recent being a new Prophecy LP.
The allure of a Gibson is steadily fading away with all the big YouTubers pointing out QC issues that are unacceptable for guitars at that price point. QC issues that are not easily fixable. And I don't care about resale value because I don't want to sell them. Even if I did need to sell them I will take great care of them and likely not take a major bath on any sale. I'd rather own 3-5 amazing guitars that I might need to upgrade (although I swapped tuners on one of my Epi's, otherwise they are as is and perfect) than 1 guitar that I have so much into I'm afraid to take it out of the case, and later might lose a lot of money on. Will Gibson hold its value? Maybe. Probably. But that's a game for investor types. However, two of my Epi's are limited run signature models that are extremely scarce on the used market and selling for more than I bought them for. I'm keeping them though.
Guitars you have: X
Guitars you need: X+1
for years fucking the same nonsense how many have you bought these flawed Gibsons? go to a big store and try all guitars in every price group and I think 80% will be unusable, or not very comfortable and correctly positioned, and in general you will find some quality blend in at least 20% Smaller or bigger varnish blemishes, unmodified frets. ..a friend bought ESP for almost 2,500 € the guitar went to a luthier to finish it. he could give her back, but would wait 4-6 months for the next one. It happens to every brand

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Not every 'MiJ' guitar is a good guitar....

Personally I prefer the newer ones,
all of my FGNs I had and have were made 2010 or later

https://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/fgn-fujigen-guitars-japan.97/

FGN guitars are really nice! Current off-the-shelf made in Japan guitars are very good in general. It's really just the ones that are 15+ years ago where people can get fooled into the "MiJ" label if they don't know what was going on at the time or not do their research.

Nowadays, you won't find any MiJ el-cheapo guitars... the rakuten/amazon starter sets are all the same made in China stuff that various youtubers review ad nauseum. Just that we get them branded differently (Legend, Bacchus, Photogenic etc..) They're not that bad either and most turn out to be fairly decent with a bit of TLC. I bet they're all from the same OEM manufacturers that make the fireflies, donners and whatever brands of the world.

for years fucking the same nonsense how many have you bought these flawed Gibsons? go to a big store and try all guitars in every price group and I think 80% will be unusable, or not very comfortable and correctly positioned, and in general you will find some quality blend in at least 20% Smaller or bigger varnish blemishes, unmodified frets. ..a friend bought ESP for almost 2,500 € the guitar went to a luthier to finish it. he could give her back, but would wait 4-6 months for the next one. It happens to every brand

I don't own a single Gibson that's "perfect" out of the box. But hey, sometimes I buy things because I wanna be a brand-whore... it's part of the fun in shopping.

Last edited:

3bolt79

Reaction score
B1A1BC24-577B-4636-B469-B1C2EA87C930.jpeg
Do you have them all on display or in the cases? That’s a lot of guitars which I think is awesome! That would make a cool room.

I’ve bought 2 Epiphone’s and a Gibson this past month, I’m good till next Christmas! Not really but I’ve been told no more by my wife. Lol

‘I just got done cleaning my guitar room. I still have or five living in cases. One, my most expensive one, is worth 8-10K, and that one lives in it’s case.
B1A1BC24-577B-4636-B469-B1C2EA87C930.jpeg

Charles Carter

Reaction score
I know it's not a competition but I've bought 7 Epiphones in the last 8 months including a Masterbilt DR500MCE which arrived yesterday.
I couldn't be happier with the quality and feel of every one of these instruments.
They have to be by far the best value for your dollar on the planet!

Last edited:

Latest posts