I am on a mission…NGD x 2

• Thread starter 3bolt79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Well I bought these 2 Lester’s a week apart from each other.. I bought the dark burst first. It was awesome and I really liked the neck, and everything about it, so I ordered another one in a different color, that was an exclusive for the dealer.

The only thing I had to do to them was tap a couple of frets down on each of them. The frets were all level after my fret hammer did its thing.

The frets were all smooth as glass on both. All fasteners on them were snug, and set up wasn’t bad out of the box on either.

These have become my favorite Les Pauls. The necks are the best fit for my hand, out of any LP guitars I have had in the past.

These check all the boxes, especially the chunky necks. If I can snag one more before the next price increase, I will. There is a different Cherry burst on the one that I didn’t buy.

These are the best Les Pauls I’ve ever played. And it wipes the floor with my Gibson Tribute and Gibson Studio.

The first in line is an Aria Pro II that I picked up for $314.00. Next are the 1959 Epi Standards, and all the way back Is my Gibson Tribute LP.

7ED156B8-0EB0-4A32-980E-1A6C881249AB.jpeg

Darkness

Reaction score
Nice collection! I have the dark burst and got pretty mad when I saw the southern fade. If I come across a good deal maybe I will convince myself to get one.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I found an Epi Les Paul studio in Smoke House finish. Now I’m jonesing for a gold top. Maybe with P90’s
Those critters aren't so easy to find now are they? Have to wonder why Epi stopped producing them awhile ago. They weren't even easy to find when I got mine and that was nearly 10 years ago.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Well, with these two LP’s, it is the first time buying Epi’s where I didn’t fee that there was something missing. The necks on th 59 models are just the right size for me…fat, but not too fat.

3bolt79

Reaction score
I haven’t got a gold top yet, but I might get another 59 for my son.

Last Christmas we decided to get each other nothing, but ended up getting each other gifts for XMAS anyway.

As it turns out we had both got gifts for each other previously, before we made a no gift agreement.

I’m gave him A Gibson LP Studio and a Kramer Vintage Pacer.

My son gave me a late 79’s Strat that I was borrowing from him for months.

The ‘59 Epi LP has better fit and finish than my current Gibson LP Tribute. The Epiphone 59’s just seem to be top notch so far this year.

So yeah, I will probably get get one from AMS in their Southern Burst. Ship it to him around Thanksgiving.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Those critters aren't so easy to find now are they? Have to wonder why Epi stopped producing them awhile ago. They weren't even easy to find when I got mine and that was nearly 10 years ago.

How does your 10 year old Epi compare to the new ones? My experience is that there has been major improvements on the Epiphone line in just the last few years.

I really like their Korina V and Explorer, but it is an actual piece of Korina and not a veneer. It is the cheapest price for an actual Korina body and neck. I might get one, but for now there are 2 more LP’s I am still after.

Maybe I will get a Slash Goldtop?

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
How does your 10 year old Epi compare to the new ones? My experience is that there has been major improvements on the Epiphone line in just the last few years.

I really like their Korina V and Explorer, but it is an actual piece of Korina and not a veneer. It is the cheapest price for an actual Korina body and neck. I might get one, but for now there are 2 more LP’s I am still after.

Yeah I definitely think the current product line is higher quality. A lot of the differences are minor, but it's the kind of thing that is easy to associate with quality. For example, (relatively) cleaner routs, less bleeding into the binding, more uniform paint, better setup out of the box, generally better fret work. Some of the more expensive models (like the Korina V/Explorer) have more premium construction as well.

That being said, if staying only at the vanilla standard line i.e. not special artist models and ones with paintings glued to the back... I am of the opinion that when people say "they're exactly the same as before" or "the current ones are much better" is more a matter of perspective. On one hand, the materials and hardware haven't changed much, and I doubt the processes have either - so maybe they're not "better" in this aspect? But to me, it feels like its more that the operations have gone through 10 years of refinement where now they're making the product at the quality Epi intended it to be from the very beginning.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score

I haven't been able to play a newer P90 version. Used models seem to have all but disappeared and Epi isn't making them at the moment. I've not played any of the other newer inspired by Gibson models either so I'm not one who could offer a fair comparison of them to mine which is actually a 2008 so somewhat early Qingdao made.

The best I can do is compare it to my newest Epi purchase which is a 2022 ES339 and previous to that a 2019 ES339 P90. While the cosmetics of the newer ones might be slightly better the quality of the build and the playability of my 2008 is every bit as good and I like the pickups which seem slightly under wound.

In general I do believe Epi has upped their game since 2008 but then so have their prices. I paid $325 for mine in 2015. It was sold by a dealer on Reverb and I would say it was virtually unplayed. Probably NOS he was unloading. What they sold for new in 2008 I don't know but Peter may know that. He's our archivist and historian.

Today a 50s Standard Gold Top w/humbuckers is $649 and the Slash versions are listed at $799. The main difference between mine and the current versions are mine has Grover tuners and a Rosewood fretboard. The only upgrade I've done is installing a Faber Steel Bridge and bridge posts. The rest is bone stock. So while I would expecte a newer model to be slightly better is it $300-$400 better? I don't know. :dunno:

Reaction score

There a lot eaiser to find now then when i got mine!! I tried for the better part of 2020 abd eary 2021 to get my first 59! Infact i can blame about 3 new guitars on trying to get my first 59! Every time they were in stock by the time got there and tried to order one they were already sold out. I bought a 50s and 60's standard instead trying to get a 59 lol . Hell at one point to told my guy at MF I didn't care what color just get me one!!! Anyways man nice collection you got there!!

Latest posts