I wanted to know....

• Thread starter chuckusa
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BGood

Reaction score
full
Catalog_Shot_7_Passion_Fruit_2000x.jpg

IGRocker

Reaction score
Definitely Iced Tea. Honey and Tea are similar, however Tea has slightly more red to it. Tobacco Bursts that I’ve seen have black in them, at least on models that aren’t faded.

chuckusa

Reaction score
Shes super nice, only one little booger/ding in the rear on the body. Beside that the neck n body are perfect. The switch was shot apon arrival though... Im taking to my local guitar center tomarrow and am going to see if they will replace it. Shes super nice though.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Shes super nice, only one little booger/ding in the rear on the body. Beside that the neck n body are perfect. The switch was shot apon arrival though... Im taking to my local guitar center tomarrow and am going to see if they will replace it. Shes super nice though.
Switches are easy. Do you own a soldering iron?
1240_allswitches.jpg

Raiyn

Reaction score
Yes I do have one. I am just waiting on the switch to get here in the mail and I will slap her in... Thanks for the pic by the way :)
I got scared for a second.
Im taking to my local guitar center tomarrow and am going to see if they will replace it.
:wow::cheers:
As long as you don't use plumber's solder you should be fine.

Personally, I like 63/37 solder (you can get it on Amazon) as it is either a liquid or a solid all at the same time without the "plastic" stage of 60/40. Either will do however.

chuckusa

Reaction score
Yea I installed the new switch yesterday. Sure felt good to play her with out mickey-mousing the broken switch just to play for a few seconds lol. But yea she works %100 now and sounds so good. I am surely satisfied with her for sure...

chuckusa

Reaction score
Nope it was simple as pie.... I can't get enuf of playing her though.... I ended up looking at the plug tips that quick connect the pickups to the pots and they should be the same as the Pro 2 and Pro 3 Probuckers. I think before spring gets here I will install a set of Pro 2 & Pro 3 Probuckers in her.... That bridge pickup sounds real good, I know its splitting hairs but I want a pro 2 in the neck. Also the covers should reflect away some noise am I right? The pro 2 & pro 3's I am talking about. Heres a pic...

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 4

Raiyn

Reaction score
Nope it was simple as pie.... I can't get enuf of playing her though.... I ended up looking at the plug tips that quick connect the pickups to the pots and they should be the same as the Pro 2 and Pro 3 Probuckers. I think before spring gets here I will install a set of Pro 2 & Pro 3 Probuckers in her.... That bridge pickup sounds real good, I know its splitting hairs but I want a pro 2 in the neck. Also the covers should reflect away some noise am I right? The pro 2 & pro 3's I am talking about. Heres a pic...
Noise you say?
haltThe60Hun-399x600.jpg

The covers don't necessarily kill noise. They can make a pickup sound "warmer", but noise killing isn't a primary consideration.

The point of a humbucker is to "buck" the "hum" and to that end it does the job decently. I prefer to add cavity shielding to the equation.

A corksniffer would tell you that "they didn't need it in '59, you don't need it now". They also didn't have all the EMI we have today, so a belt and braces approach isn't going to hurt you.

That said, I shield every guitar I get my hands on, and the results speak for themselves.
A recent example.

The absolute KEY is to connect all of the cavities together and to ground.

If I were working on an LP, I would use the vintage style braided shield wire to do the switch run so I could solder a jumper wire off from the braid to each cavity as you go. You might think to just tack the braid directly to the shield, but I'd advise against that false economy. A short bit of wire would be a better choice in my view if only because of the flexibility.

The switch cavity should be fine with just the mechanical connection (nice considering the cramped space) but you could do jumpers in both pickup cavities. If you can pass a continuity check from each cavity to the jack ground, you've done it properly.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm already jonesing for my next project.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info :cheers:
I will read up on the shielding. See what I can come up with.
I feel like I need to note that I dislike shield paint. It's way too much work and mess for no real gain. I also find the paint too inconsistent.
@Dave J gives me grief about working with "razor blade" tape, (he slices himself for some reason) but I work carefully and with plastic tools rather than my fingers.

Phantom0917

Reaction score
Looking at a used Custom Pro and description indicates light/minor tarnish on pickups. Question... is that something that can be easily rectified and if so, what is the best way to fix it? Thanks

Raiyn

Reaction score
Looking at a used Custom Pro and description indicates light/minor tarnish on pickups. Question... is that something that can be easily rectified and if so, what is the best way to fix it? Thanks
Three responses.

One: Don't worry about it. That's called "patina" and some folks pay big money for stuff that looks like it's been ridden hard and put away wet. The term is "relicing". :rofl:

Two: Don't worry about it. Grab a can of Nevr-Dull, and don't worry about it.

Three: Don't worry about it. Swap them out for something better.

Bottom line, don't worry about it.

Latest posts