It's here. NGD ES-339 P90 PRO

• Thread starter Kong
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kong

Reaction score
My new Epiphone ES-339 P90 Pro arrived this afternoon. I must say my initial impression is very good. When I unpacked the guitar I was surprised to see that the body had a gloss finish. The pics on Musicians Friend looked like the body was satin (i'll post a pic below). The finish looks very nice and I have not found any flaws other than a tiny spec on the neck binding. Speaking of the binding it looks like a dark cream color and complements the finish very well. The fret-board is a nice dark rosewood.

The neck is a bit meatier that I expected and is very comfortable in my hands. I tuned it up but have not made any setup adjustments. As is, there is almost no relief to speak of, and so far I'm not hearing any buzzing and the notes aren't fretting out during bends. The action is slightly high for my taste, but I'll make the proper adjustments when I throw new strings on. The intonation is reasonable, seems to me all the notes are just a hair sharp at the 12th fret. All in all I'd say it is pretty damn good for just out of the box and certainly playable. I didn't even give it 5 minutes to acclimate to being inside.

All the hardware seems to be properly installed and I'm not getting any rattling or buzzing from the bridge or tuners. The knobs sit a bit high out of the body and that may be an issue when I want to put pointers on. They operate properly and there is no noise from the pots/switch. I only played it for a few minutes because I wanted to snap a few pics. I played it through my Peavey Classic 20 and I really dig the tone of the P90s. In just a short time it is really easy to see this is an extremely versatile guitar. Turn down the gain and you can get some nice sparkly highs from the bridge pickup and some nice warm blues tone from the neck. I think selecting both pickups on clean with a bit of chorus will sound amazing, but I'm in the middle of moving so I just have the Peavey to test it out on.

Overall it is an extremely nice guitar with amazing fit and finish. I can't believe it was $299 shipped. Huge bang for the buck, so many Epiphones are such good values these days. I'm going to play the heck out of it for a while before I even think about mods. I would consider upgrading the harness, but it seems like such a pain in the ass and the stock wiring sounds fine to me, so far. I took the stickers off, wanna see some pics?

The first 2 pics are from MF and look satin.

Here a are a few shots of mine.

eS.G.

Reaction score
WOW WO WO WO WOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW Damn thats sweet.

Bet it sounds like Angels and plays like the Devil ;)

Say KONG where you at? Your Signature location puts you in LoooSianne ---just curious--

RTH

Reaction score
Very nice! Glad you got a good one.

As far as the stock pics from MF, they are probably press pics from Epiphone. I dont know if they are 'shopped or they actually give the guitars a matte finish, but if so, it is so the guitar doesnt catch any glare during the photo shoot. If you ever look at the Sweetwater website, they take their own pics and the gloss finishes are very glossy.

Kong

Reaction score
Very nice! Glad you got a good one.

As far as the stock pics from MF, they are probably press pics from Epiphone. I dont know if they are 'shopped or they actually give the guitars a matte finish, but if so, it is so the guitar doesnt catch any glare during the photo shoot. If you ever look at the Sweetwater website, they take their own pics and the gloss finishes are very glossy.

I think they get the stock picks from Epi as well, but if you look at the pic of the back of the guitar, the neck is glossy and reflects, but the body is clearly satin.

Kong

Reaction score
WOW WO WO WO WOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW Damn thats sweet.

Bet it sounds like Angels and plays like the Devil ;)

Say KONG where you at? Your Signature location puts you in LoooSianne ---just curious--

I live on Monster Island. I thought my name would give that away ...

j/k I'm in New Jersey

eS.G.

Reaction score
LOL cool. JoyZee ;) Had an Uncle from up that way. Good folks. Funny what ya get when click on folks "location" thingy in the Avatar menu. :)

Congrats man that thing looks like a Little Hot ROD . Like the 335's faster hotter little sister lol

BGood

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the stickers off before the pics. Really !
Satin or not, it's beautiful.

Mark

Reaction score
Great looking guit! I have the old 339-Ultra and love it. Those P-90's must sound really cool.

RTH

Reaction score
I think they get the stock picks from Epi as well, but if you look at the pic of the back of the guitar, the neck is glossy and reflects, but the body is clearly satin.
I think that maybe they matte the guitars for the photoshoot - the bodies at least. If you look at the ES-339 on the Epiphone website, it is the same way, and there is no mention of a satin finish.
339P90-5.jpg

Reaction score
Must have been a pre-production prototype used for the photoshoot and at the last minute they changed the specs to gloss.

Latest posts