JFETs and Solid State Amplification

• Thread starter Raiyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
Thanks for the video Raiyn! :)

I think we are seeing a swing of the pendulum back towards solid state amps from tube amps.

I think it has a lot to do with the guitar pedal explosion of the last 15 years.

Players are wanting a nice clean open solid state amp to run their pedals through.

I see it in a lot of marketing now. “A perfect platform for pedal boards….” Etc…etc…

Pat

Raiyn

Reaction score

I think we are seeing a swing of the pendulum back towards solid state amps from tube amps.

I think it has a lot to do with the guitar pedal explosion of the last 15 years.

Players are wanting a nice clean open solid state amp to run their pedals through.

I see it in a lot of marketing now. “A perfect platform for pedal boards….” Etc…etc…

Pat
I personally prefer not having to screw around with tubes and I also appreciate the efficiency. I may well upgrade to a Super Crush 100 combo. Plus I dig Orange tolex.

Space1999

Reaction score
I personally prefer not having to screw around with tubes and I also appreciate the efficiency. I may well upgrade to a Super Crush 100 combo. Plus I dig Orange tolex.

I am interested as well. I would just lay out for one of the Fender Twin Tone Master’s but in my experience humbuckers don’t do as well with Fender amps.

But in my eye, a Fender guitar and amp are an unbeatable combination. I just want to see some other options out there besides Roland JC series and the Boss amps (which I like very much).

Maybe this Orange amp is worth looking into.

Pat

Norton

Reaction score
Most of the modern ss amps are disposable. Not because they don’t sound good. But because they are not serviceable in any manner.

If the amps were built like some of the better pedals available then we’d be taking about something VERY different!

maybe builders like quilter?? make their amps to be more easily repaired? Somebody’s got to be looking in that direction.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Most of the modern ss amps are disposable. Not because they don’t sound good. But because they are not serviceable in any manner.

If the amps were built like some of the better pedals available then we’d be taking about something VERY different!

maybe builders like quilter?? make their amps to be more easily repaired? Somebody’s got to be looking in that direction.
What? Do you have any specific examples of "unserviceable" solid state amps from a brand name builder that don't come from their entry level practice line? Obviously those are meant to be moved on from.

What are these "better pedals" of which you speak?

If we're talking surface-mount vs thru-hole you might have a case if your tech is unwilling to adapt, but even then, I've made surface mount repairs with a regular 40W iron and some 63/37 including to our car.

Norton

Reaction score
I don't have specific examples of amps. And good on you for fixing your surface mounted parts yourself.

That's not a high success operation. Depending on the parts and the constitution of the circuit board itself.

Better pedals... That was meant as a pretty wide blanket. Not as a "snob trigger switch". The point was that guitarists bow down to the "amazing tone" of pedals which are largely solid state. These same people bow down to tube amps, which they use... but only to very comfortably amplify their signals that are completely generated by solid state devices.

I suppose there already are plenty of pedal amps... EHX has a couple and I know there are others. which is super cool!

Just so we're clear, I'm not kicking Solid state tech or solid state guitar amps. Not even close. I've been a fan of plenty of cool tube-less guitar amps old and new. The smallest fender rumble bass amp (2o watt??) might be my favorite bass amp ever.

But there's a HUGE difference between a 2000's vox combo and a brand new production amp from just about any maker...as far as repairability goes. THings get even more complicated if you get into anything with digital modeling or touch screens.

Doesn't mean those things are bad... or are going to fail... but if they do in say 7 years or so... it's not going to be easy to get any of the integrated parts that make up those digital tone engines from Black Star or Boss or any third party vendor. or the screens...

But guess what.... tubes are barely being made now so what's the point of having an "easy to fix" amp that requires tubes that aren't available???

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score

I believe this is where players should look at BOSS/Roland product. If we time travel back to the late '70s and early '80s the Jazz Chorus and Cube amps Roland was producing then are still being played by some today.

They're very good amps. The early Peavey Bandits are also good SS amps.

In the '90s Roland came out with their US built Blues Cube amps in 75w, 60w, and 30w versions as competition for Fender Super Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, and Princeton Reverb amps. They also became popular club amps for many.

I can honestly say that all of the older amps are nearly bullet proof analog SS models that can be serviced but seldom if ever need it. They're pretty indestructible and like most other BOSS/Roland product made to last.

I have a 25 year old BC60 that works as good as new. The only work that's ever been done other than cosmetic stuff like a new grill cloth is to replace the reverb tank and those repairs I did myself. Like Fenders these amps will last forever.

If I were in the market for a gig worth SS amp right now I would seriously buy another Blues Cube and I would also recommend them to anyone else shopping for one. Check out the video the guys from Anderton's did with one.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
They are plenty of good SS amps : the Carvin SX 200, SX 300, Randall War Head, RG 80, RG 100 and many more .

One SS amp, that got me excited, was the Crate Power Block, basically a more basic version of the Quilter mini amp series, it came out before Quilter and most likely inspired Quilter's little amps.

I have two 12ax7 tubes in my DigiTech 2112 SGS , then it is split in stereo , left side into one VHT Valvulator 1 and right side another VHT Valvulator 1, both have 12ax7 tubes each going into two Crate Power Blocks.
Other guitar players think I am still lugging around my Marshall JCM 800's , Carvin X-100's or my VHT Pitbull's, with my 2112 SGS, I got over 23 different amp types to enjoy.
Those tubes and how they are placed make a big difference in my tube compression tone to capture the tube dynamics , feel and sound.

Sindre

Reaction score
The best solid state amp ever made (in my opinion) is the LAB Series, made by Bob Moog for Gibson in the late 70s and early 80s. I have a 1980 LAB Series L5, and it is just an incredible amp. This was a highend product, made to compete with the Fender Twin, but it was difficult to sell expensive solid state amps even in the 70s. It was, however, BB King's preferred amp throughout the latter part of his career (he had many of them), and also used by Ty Tabor, Allan Holdsworth and Joe Bonamassa. You can still get these much cheaper than a used JC 120; it is the ultimate sleeper amp. And since they had exceptional build quality, they're usually still in good condition.

My main amp is a Fender Twin Reverb Custom 15 (larger cabinet than a regular Twin, 15 inch speaker). It is marginally better-sounding than the LAB, but I think the LAB is way better than the Jazz Chorus (I have an 80s JC120). Much less noisy, takes pedals better, great FET-based overdrive.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I have a fleet of different tube amps and they are very high maintenance.

Not only do you have to get new tubes when they go bad, but depending how often you you use them, you have to have new capacitors installed every 5 to 7 years and sometimes an input or output transformer may go capoot .... And that's pricey too.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score

Pat

Even some Rack Effects sound better through Power Amps, instead of going through the front end or effects loop of a traditional tube Amp.

Now I am thinking of having some JFETS put into some of my multi effects pedalboard .

I like the older Digitech rack units that have 12ax7 tubes, plus I use a VHT VALVULATOR's to add tube dynamics ( 12ax7 tunes )

BGood

Reaction score
Couldn't concentrate on any of what was said, I was overwhelmed by his accent, loved it.

OK ... take 2

Space1999

Reaction score
Ultimately, I went with something a bit more flexible. I snagged a Boss Nextone Special on one Hell of a good deal and so far I'm really happy.
Congrats Raiyn! The Nextone series are great amps aside from I didn’t like the speaker in the Artist. Does the Special have different speakers?
Pat

Space1999

Reaction score
Even some Rack Effects sound better through Power Amps, instead of going through the front end or effects loop of a traditional tube Amp.

Now I am thinking of having some JFETS put into some of my multi effects pedalboard .

I like the older Digitech rack units that have 12ax7 tubes, plus I use a VHT VALVULATOR's to add tube dynamics ( 12ax7 tunes )

AJ,

I ended up using the JRocket Blue Note after my tuner to give me some tube like gain on my guitar tone. The clean and the dirty benefit from it, There are lots of other options out there as well.

I love my setup today for gigging. My pedal board is dialed in just right and through the JC-120 it sounds like a beast. Honestly, better than I expected and I know Roland amps.

I would say part of the reason I love this combo is that I use humbuckers and solid state amps just work with humbuckers and pedal boards better.

Between the Blue Note, the Keeley Compressor, the KFK EQ and my Andy Timmon’s Plus overdrive I can achieve anything from Classic Rock to full out Metal.

I love the versatility of the rig and the portability. Just a pedal board and an amp and two cable and guitars and I’m good :)

I am digging the setup you are putting together too. Keep me posted, I am interested in what you are doing.

Pat

Latest posts