Jimmy Page L.P tone.

• Thread starter Mike Hickey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to understand why anyone should care how Jimmy Page recorded with his gear in a studio in 1968 or so. I don't care how his amp was set if mine sounded like crap at the same settings I'd change the settings and not lose any sleep over how Jimmy managed it.

Some amps lacked low end back then. Listen to old Beatle live videos. Those VOX amps were all hard ass mids and top end. Made it easy for McCartney's bass to slide right under the guitars and capture the low end even with that Hofner. Marshall's seem bright to me as well.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
Too many variables to really pinpoint where Page had things set and why. He did use Supro Amps but for the first two albums he used his Les Paul and a Plexi.

Page also states that his Tone Bender was part of his secret sauce. That pedal is extremely bright and helped him achieve breakup without turning the Plexi all the way up.

Also by 1967 the Marshall Plexi Super Lead had a 500 pF bright cap installed. All of this translates to ear bleeding high end without the bass turned up.

Not to mention these were passive EQs so the only way to hear them full range was to “dime” them of turn all the EQ knobs to 10.

So there is no way to understand what just turning the bass up on a Marshall amp of that time period translates to today unless you own one.

Guitar sounds are all about midrange and Page knew that. So he didn’t swamp out Jones’s bass with lots of bass on his amp.

Both of them were studio musician’s and understood these things.

Pat

Darkness

Reaction score
Why stop at 8?

giphy.gif

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
L.P. with a Marshall. Again not interested in nailling his tone just wondering if anyone runs their bass knob on 8
Only one. My Egnater Tweaker. The bass pot is running at 80%-100% in virtually every voicing with the deep switch engaged in all but the higher gain settings. I'm running through one or two 12" speakers. One Brit voiced and the other US voiced. But I seldom if ever play at high gain levels like a metal player would.

Mike Hickey

Reaction score
Ii
I'm still trying to understand why anyone should care how Jimmy Page recorded with his gear in a studio in 1968 or so. I don't care how his amp was set if mine sounded like crap at the same settings I'd change the settings and not lose any sleep over how Jimmy managed it.

Some amps lacked low end back then. Listen to old Beatle live videos. Those VOX amps were all hard ass mids and top end. Made it easy for McCartney's bass to slide right under the guitars and capture the low end even with that Hofner. Marshall's seem bright to me as well.
I stated 3 times, I am not interested in getting his tone. I just thought his amp settings sounded extreme and my o.p. was only meant as a topic of conversation.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I tried chasing someone else's tone for a while. I still sounded like me.

You could time travel back to the recording studio and play the actual rig yourself, and you're still going to sound like you.

I just like getting in the ballpark. I'll buy something like the Op-Amp (aka Pumpkin) Muff or a DS-2 if it gets me close, but I'm not going to buy unobtainium vintage gear.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Ii

I stated 3 times, I am not interested in getting his tone. I just thought his amp settings sounded extreme and my o.p. was only meant as a topic of conversation.
And I wasn't implying that either only that I would not be all that concerned about how anything was recorded then because amps have changed a lot since then as have studio gear and recording technique. Any misunderstanding was unintentional and not a cause to call anyone out over it. It happens.

I'd just chalk it up to on whatever amp he used with what ever guitar and effects were also used that was what he felt was the proper EQ. You also asked if anyone else maxed their bass EQ on any amp they own and I posted that I do on my Tweaker along with the deep switch engaged. Some amps just seem to need it.

Latest posts