JJN gold glory

• Thread starter Chef T
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chef T

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to the site and will post a proper intro right after this but I need a little help. I recently purchased the Jared James Nichols Gold Glory. After a good set up and some fret end dressing the guitar plays great! I purchased directly from Epiphone. The bass side bridge pin bushing was lifted out of the guitar body from day one. It was also loose enough for me to pull it out easily. I contacted Epiphone and they had me return it to be fixed. They sent it back but the bridge pin bushing is still lifted up. They told me they reset it and as long as it is tight that is normal. I haven’t taken the strings off to check if it is still loose. I am looking to see if anyone else has this issue
Thanks83DFF2EA-FFA4-433B-B141-BA748F6B2996.jpeg
I am including a pic for you to see

BGood

Reaction score
They are funny ... normal. Not normal but frequent yes. What they should have done and so should you is glue it down.

Pull both bushings out, generously dab the wood of the walls of the holes with wood glue (not epoxy, not Gorilla, not super glue), reinsert the bushings with the posts screwed down all the way. To make sure they set straight in the glue, tie a line or elastic from one post to the back strap button, and back to the other post. That will pull them straight. Let dry for 24 hours (or more if it is very humid where you live) and restring the guitar. It shouldn't move anymore. I did that on several Epiphones and it resolved the problem.

Chef T

Reaction score
They are funny ... normal. Not normal but frequent yes. What they should have done and so should you is glue it down.

Pull both bushings out, generously dab the wood of the walls of the holes with wood glue (not epoxy, not Gorilla, not super glue), reinsert the bushings with the posts screwed down all the way. To make sure they set straight in the glue, tie a line or elastic from one post to the back strap button, and back to the other post. That will pull them straight. Let dry for 24 hours (or more if it is very humid where you live) and restring the guitar. It shouldn't move anymore. I did that on several Epiphones and it resolved the problem.

thanks for the reply and info. I just got it back today and didn’t take the strings off yet to see if they glued it in. It plays and sounds great and I can get it intonated properly so as long as it doesn’t become an issue I am fine with it

IGRocker

Reaction score
I’ll have to check mine when I’m at a gig tonight (left it there since we are there all week). Most Les Paul inserts I’ve seen have some degree of lifting on the back side, whether it’s due to the top carve (not actually lifting), uneven pilot hole drilling, or due to string tension. Yours appears to be due to string tension, but normally if it isn’t loose, I wouldn’t worry about it. They fit into the body a good ways down.

Chef T

Reaction score
I’ll have to check mine when I’m at a gig tonight (left it there since we are there all week). Most Les Paul inserts I’ve seen have some degree of lifting on the back side, whether it’s due to the top carve (not actually lifting), uneven pilot hole drilling, or due to string tension. Yours appears to be due to string tension, but normally if it isn’t loose, I wouldn’t worry about it. They fit into the body a good ways down.
Thanks, my Gibson LP doesn’t have that issue but the carve on the gold glory is more pronounced. My issue is I was able to Pull the bushing out easily with my fingers. I am curious to know if yours has the same issue
Thanks
Todd

Chef T

Reaction score
I sent the guitar back to Epiphone and they reset the pin bushings. They also drastically raised the pickup screws/poll pieces and it made a big improvement in the tone. When I got the guitar they were totally flush with the top of the pickup cover B10E6E43-7C8F-46DD-B362-756C54FC63F4.jpeg

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I sent the guitar back to Epiphone and they reset the pin bushings. They also drastically raised the pickup screws/poll pieces and it made a big improvement in the tone. When I got the guitar they were totally flush with the top of the pickup cover View attachment 15016

Welcome aboard Chef T. !!!
That GG looks great since you sent it back. Smart move to send it to Epiphone.

So does this mean if we have an annual meeting you will cook for us? :rofl:

Pat

Last edited:

Chef T

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan! I have been a chef for 30 years and have been teaching at the Culinary Institute of America for 20 years. I am actually a pastry chef but can hold my own on the savory side. I get to play with food all day, then play with guitars when i get home! Can’t complain. Here are a couple of recent pics of stuff I made with my class 92B7347F-27EB-4EF6-BAB7-354FCCE36121.jpegBFF7209A-F5D9-4157-B016-7A413B691CC9.jpeg11329308-7259-44E3-AD7F-59F8EE9779D4.jpeg

Space1999

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan! I have been a chef for 30 years and have been teaching at the Culinary Institute of America for 20 years. I am actually a pastry chef but can hold my own on the savory side. I get to play with food all day, then play with guitars when i get home! Can’t complain. Here are a couple of recent pics of stuff I made with my class View attachment 15018View attachment 15021View attachment 15022

:wow:Man you seriously rock! I started licking the screen! Wow!

Pat

Raiyn

Reaction score

Chef T

Reaction score
I
Ahh, you're probably a good candidate for the newspaper trick detailed in the video in the thread Zero posted.

Basically, it's functional découpage.
l will check it out
Thanks

Old Woody

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan! I have been a chef for 30 years and have been teaching at the Culinary Institute of America for 20 years. I am actually a pastry chef but can hold my own on the savory side. I get to play with food all day, then play with guitars when i get home! Can’t complain. Here are a couple of recent pics of stuff I made with my class View attachment 15018View attachment 15021View attachment 15022

That food looked so good I had to take a cold shower after viewing it.

Space1999

Reaction score
I sent the guitar back to Epiphone and they reset the pin bushings. They also drastically raised the pickup screws/poll pieces and it made a big improvement in the tone. When I got the guitar they were totally flush with the top of the pickup cover View attachment 15016

I am glad you got that sorted out. Looks like Epiphone reset your pole pieces to Gibson standards and they have a formula they use. Its in that Gibson video that Zero posted.

On the bridge pu starting from the low string while baring the strings at the last fret it runs from the top of the pole piece to the string…

2mm
2 1/2mm
3mm
3mm
2 1/2mm
2mm

I recognized the shape of the pole pieces in your picture.
I have found raising the pole pieces on P90’s cleans up the sound, while lowering them gets them a little nastier.

I’d love it if you would describe the difference in the sound of the guitar since you got it back compared to now.
I hope you are enjoying your guitar! :)

Pat

Chef T

Reaction score
I am glad you got that sorted out. Looks like Epiphone reset your pole pieces to Gibson standards and they have a formula they use. Its in that Gibson video that Zero posted.

On the bridge pu starting from the low string while baring the strings at the last fret it runs from the top of the pole piece to the string…

2mm
2 1/2mm
3mm
3mm
2 1/2mm
2mm

I recognized the shape of the pole pieces in your picture.
I have found raising the pole pieces on P90’s cleans up the sound, while lowering them gets them a little nastier.

I’d love it if you would describe the difference in the sound of the guitar since you got it back compared to now.
I hope you are enjoying your guitar! :)

Pat
Thanks for the numbers on the pole pieces. I will measure them just for comparison. The guitar definitely sounds cleaner/ more defined as well as a thicker overall tone. Gibson also has the neck set with a little less relief than what I usually do but It feels good. The string action was set to just under .07 on the low E and just under .06 on the high E which is right were I like it. Overall I’m really happy with the guitar. The electronics are very responsive and I love the tones I can get. First P90 guitar I have owned!

bluesfordan

Reaction score
I'm going to check my JJN for the post and the pickup pole pieces. Glad I found this thread. We had company a few weeks ago and I had to move my guitars out of the living room to the basement. I've been busy so they're still down there.

Chef T

Reaction score
I'm going to check my JJN for the post and the pickup pole pieces. Glad I found this thread. We had company a few weeks ago and I had to move my guitars out of the living room to the basement. I've been busy so they're still down there.
Definitely check the pickup pole pieces. It made a nice improvement in the tone. I am curious to know if you have the same issue with the tailpiece pin bushings. Once they reset them they have been fine

Latest posts